Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: train stop
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 12:45 am 

If there is any info on the recent proposal to Cedar Lake in the make for a station...please write. Would like to see this happen and think it's a smart move for the future. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:51 am 

Last I heard the Freight carriers no not want to share tracks with commuter trains… Why they state cant make them share the tracks? Southern NW Indiana needs a commuter rail especially with all the continuing plans for development? And lack of road improvements… I’m thinking you can expect a commuter rail in 20 –30 years….

Now they are now talking about a East-West toll way… they are running about 10 year late on that project, and already let too much ideal land go to development…. That will probably end up south of Lowell…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:57 am 

First off who is the State to make any company do anything it does not want to do. There must be a reason behind them not wanting to share there line. Whatever that reason is that should be good enough.

It should be between the two companies to decide.

Nomen Nescio
http://www.nitesquad.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:04 pm 

Mike, I suppose you don’t really care since you’re out La Porte you really haven’t seem much development – yet…

Why? Because it would be good for the majority… I’m not implying eminent domain. The state would pay to use the tracks; perhaps our neighboring state IL – the RTA / METRA could serve as a example… you must love the way you property vales just keep on going up & up… well now is the time to make investment in the future… and needs to include a public transportation system…

You can’t stop progress… you can try to ignore, burry your head in the sand like you don’t see the population growth throughout NW Indiana – it but it will happen and if you don’t make plans to accommodate the growth you will be left with, a lot of problems including gridlock, poor road conditions, increase in auto accident and accident related injury’s, increasingly bad air quality, poverty because the too many people not enough jobs and no way to get to out of town to get to a job elsewhere… with poverty come crime and lower property values…

Open your eyes, the countryside is changing… Goodbye farming communities, quiet county town life, vacation home communities – this place is rapidly becoming suburbia… or for lack of vision will it become blighted instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:31 pm 

Sir, change is good and so is looking to the future. But my point is that state has no right to interfer with the operations of any business or person for that matter in which the action does not interfer with the rights of others.

(since I do not know much about the situation I will speak veagly and only stick to what I understood about this topic posted in the forum.)

Now if the commuter trains used the other line without getting the permission of the other line anyway then the owner of the other line has the right to bitch. But if one company does not interfere with the rights of another in this situation and one company says the other cant use it and the other doesnt then no crime has been committed and the state should not interfere.

Now I would be ok with the State playing middle man such as having Don Lehe as a Representitive of the people and Sue Landske as a representive of the state contact these two companies to try and mediate a plan of action.

Other than that the State should not make a company do anything it does not want to do.

Nomen Nescio
http://www.nitesquad.org