PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:43 pm 

Mr. Dwight Taylor
Gary, Indiana 46406

Gary Community School Corporation
620 E. 10th Place
Gary, Indiana 46402

May 10, 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

Monday, May 9th, 2005, I had an unpleasant experience of witnessing a volunteer female parent grab and totally disrespect a young male student in the corridor of Duncan School. The individual I was with looked at me, and at the same time, I looked at her with total amazement. We both could not believe what she said, and how she said it. The parent grabbed the little boy and said "if you do it again, I am going to knock your damn head off".

According to my observation of the children at Duncan, a lot of them were dirty. It was apparent that some even left home without combing their hair by the presence of lent in their hair. Their condition is a reflection of their home life. They can't be held accountable for their lack of knowledge and discipline. It starts at home. Their guardians must be held totally accountable. If that parent is addicted to some kind of illegal substance, that child should not be in the home. The illegal activity exposure will only confuse the child even more. Children are inquisitive by nature and inconspicuouly observant.

I see some striking similarities in my quest for education as a student at the Edward Jenner School in the infamous Cabrini-Green Housing Projects in Chicago, Illinois and the situation I am speaking of. Anytime you bunch a group of poor people together in any housing projects, failure in a great portion of the children is inevitable. The proximity of Duncan School includes the Delaney Housing Projects.

Our young children at Duncan and every other school in Gary must be treated with respect despite their predicament. Most of them are not getting love or discipline at home. So why should we expect them to go to school and perform in accordance to the rules? Most of them are humiliated to the point that hopelessness will dictate their destiny. As a result of their false interpretation of righteousness, they will have no continuity to societal expectations.

The despair, agony and anxiety among our children must be replaced with love, discipline and understanding. We must work harder, and go the extra mile to provide it to them in school. If not, we should not be surprised when they consider us their prey.

Yours Truly,

Dwight Taylor