Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: New way to beautify Downtown Hammond.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am 

Early this Wednesday morning, several crews of that free goverment cell phone deal, set up not one but 2 tents with electric generators to run their computers in the old Walgreen parking lot on Sibley. People have been lined up there all morning. Many getting out of their fancy cars with fancy clothing. In one case I witnessed, a cutomer or free loader got out of a new "ESCALADE" they said something to him and then he moved it to the new city parking lot. He came back and they obtained 2 phones. Who runs this deal and where are the employees hired. Do they have a city license.They have numerous signs on Hohman near the old Nipsco building and give out phones at some location there. Tents and signs like this indicates this is where the free loaders and workless individuals hangout. It sure blends in with the new muti million improvement in the downtown area.One man that was very disturbed as to what was going on, said"we the hard workers are paying for this on our phone bill". This I'm going to check out. Better yet, I wonder what it takes to get one of these phones?
Has anyone info on this? The workers won't answer any questions.This location I might mention is the same place where the city removed a portable Hot Dog stand
because they said outside vendors cheapin the area.

Post subject: Re: New way to beautify Downtown Hammond.
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:54 am 

What do these fuckers think is going to happen when Whitey runs out of money?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:07 pm 

As i write this, nine cars in the lot. All of the late model type. Doesn't the city own that lot? This makes me sick. Where is the city license. They also have signs on the sidewalk on both sides of Sibley advertising fireworks and insurance. Where are the city inspectors?????? I thought they regulated the sale of firewooks to certain days around July 4th and New Years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:25 pm 

newsflashkid wrote:
As i write this, nine cars in the lot. All of the late model type. Doesn't the city own that lot? This makes me sick. Where is the city license. They also have signs on the sidewalk on both sides of Sibley advertising fireworks and insurance. Where are the city inspectors?????? I thought they regulated the sale of firewooks to certain days around July 4th and New Years.

What no upscale Mo Money tax return business in downtown Hammond? I thought Hammond was a classy joint? Hea Hea!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:36 pm 

EVERYONE who has a landline phone, and some cell phone contracts are paying for the freebies. Check the landline bill. Where you see the "Universal Access Service Fund", or similar heading, that is the money you are charged for people to get their free phones. I think it is about $7 a month added onto your phone bill. This program started out as a subsidy for the very poor to have a basic phone in their homes, for emergency purposes. It has escalated into a free-for-all of free cell phones for people who really do not need them. I think they should eliminate the cell phone giveaway, and just go back to the landline subsidy.
FYI, to get the free cell phones and free minutes, you have to qualify by being on a government program, food stamps, medicaid, free lunch program, SSI, welfare, or you must meet the income requirements.
I have a cell phone, a 2nd hand 15 year old phone, that I pay $10 for 50 minutes every 90 days. I just use it for emergencies, running home late, car broke down, or for my family to reach me if my mother(age 89) has an emergency.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:20 pm 

Wish I would have known that. My mom is on a fixed income (79 years old) and I'm paying for her phone because she can't afford one and I'm paying the universal access fee on my phone and hers!!! :evil:

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be ... The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe. - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:38 pm 

celtic1950 wrote:
Wish I would have known that. My mom is on a fixed income (79 years old) and I'm paying for her phone because she can't afford one and I'm paying the universal access fee on my phone and hers!!! :evil:

If you call the phone company, they will send out a form for her to fill out. This doesn't eliminate the Universal Access fee on her bill, it is automatically on everyones bill, but it will reduce her overall bill by about $8. You might want to check to see if you can lower her bill by eliminating some add-ons. Call waiting, enhanced or regular caller ID, even long distance service, whether used or not adds to the bill. Just for having long distance service on your phone line, even if you do not make any long distance calls, adds $5-10 a month to your bill.
My bill is about $24 a month. I have just basic phone with no long distance, no local long distance, no caller ID, just local calling. 2 years ago my bill was $17 a month, but with all the extra fee's and the Universal Service Fund charge going higher, it made my bill jump up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:42 pm 

Tiger1 wrote:
EVERYONE who has a landline phone, and some cell phone contracts are paying for the freebies. Check the landline bill. Where you see the "Universal Access Service Fund", or similar heading, that is the money you are charged for people to get their free phones. I think it is about $7 a month added onto your phone bill. This program started out as a subsidy for the very poor to have a basic phone in their homes, for emergency purposes. It has escalated into a free-for-all of free cell phones for people who really do not need them. I think they should eliminate the cell phone giveaway, and just go back to the landline subsidy.
FYI, to get the free cell phones and free minutes, you have to qualify by being on a government program, food stamps, medicaid, free lunch program, SSI, welfare, or you must meet the income requirements.
I have a cell phone, a 2nd hand 15 year old phone, that I pay $10 for 50 minutes every 90 days. I just use it for emergencies, running home late, car broke down, or for my family to reach me if my mother(age 89) has an emergency.
Once again, you are completely full of crap. Not one penny of your phone bill goes to provide "free" cell phones for poor people. If there were a program like that, I'm sure you'd be the first one in line for a hand-out.Here is a link what says exactly what those charges are for.
Federal Access Charge:
What’s that on my Telephone bill???
Federal Charges
Also known as the Subscriber Line Charge (SLC) and the End User Customer Line Charge (EUCL), it is an FCC authorized charge for network access, interstate subscriber line charge, customer subscriber line charge, or Federal line fee.
What is it? The charge helps pay for the operation of the local telephone network and covers costs that are not already recovered by the local phone service monthly charges. This charge was meant to keep basic local rates stable at the time of the Bell system breakup. It helps cover phone companies’ fixed costs to operate and maintain the local phone network. Who put it on my bill? United States Congress via the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1983. It was part of the Bell System settlement.
What law or rule? Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 69.152.
How much is it? Currently capped at $6.50 for a primary residence/business line (July 1, 2010). It can increase by $1 annually up to $9 limit for residence lines if costs can be justified.
Who gets the money? The local telephone companies.
Federal Universal Service Fund:
Also known as Federal Universal Service Fee, Universal Connectivity Charge, & Universal Service Carrier Charge. What is it? Our nation has a policy to promote telephone service to all Americans at affordable and reasonably comparable rates. Telecommunications companies are required to pay this money toward a federal program that assists high cost rural telephone companies provide service in rural areas at about the same rates as urban areas and provides phone and internet service to schools, libraries and rural health-care facilities.
Who put it on my bill? Your long-distance carriers. The FCC requires telephone companies to pay into the Universal Service Fund, but does not require the cost to be passed on to customers but many long-distance providers do so anyway. What law or rule? Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 36, 54, and 69 requires long-distance carriers to participate in the federal program.
How much is it? The amount varies depending upon the anticipated universal service requirements of the long distance carrier. The fee is charged as a percent of all federally authorized telephone charges.
Who gets the money? Schools, libraries, and health care institutions. Funds are allocated by discounts and grants. Other eligible subscribers who apply can receive discounts on services.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:51 pm 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
Once again, you are completely full of crap. Not one penny of your phone bill goes to provide "free" cell phones for poor people. If there were a program like that, I'm sure you'd be the first one in line for a hand-out.Here is a link what says exactly what those charges are for.
Federal Access Charge:
What’s that on my Telephone bill???
Federal Charges
Also known as the Subscriber Line Charge (SLC) and the End User Customer Line Charge (EUCL), it is an FCC authorized charge for network access, interstate subscriber line charge, customer subscriber line charge, or Federal line fee.
What is it? The charge helps pay for the operation of the local telephone network and covers costs that are not already recovered by the local phone service monthly charges. This charge was meant to keep basic local rates stable at the time of the Bell system breakup. It helps cover phone companies’ fixed costs to operate and maintain the local phone network. Who put it on my bill? United States Congress via the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in 1983. It was part of the Bell System settlement.
What law or rule? Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 69.152.
How much is it? Currently capped at $6.50 for a primary residence/business line (July 1, 2010). It can increase by $1 annually up to $9 limit for residence lines if costs can be justified.
Who gets the money? The local telephone companies.
Federal Universal Service Fund:
Also known as Federal Universal Service Fee, Universal Connectivity Charge, & Universal Service Carrier Charge. What is it? [color=#8000FF]Our nation has a policy to promote telephone service to all Americans at affordable and reasonably comparable rates.
Telecommunications companies are required to pay this money toward a federal program that assists high cost rural telephone companies provide service in rural areas at about the same rates as urban areas and provides phone and internet service to schools, libraries and rural health-care facilities.
Who put it on my bill? Your long-distance carriers. The FCC requires telephone companies to pay into the Universal Service Fund, but does not require the cost to be passed on to customers but many long-distance providers do so anyway. What law or rule? Title 47, Code of Federal Regulations, Sections 36, 54, and 69 requires long-distance carriers to participate in the federal program.
How much is it? The amount varies depending upon the anticipated universal service requirements of the long distance carrier. The fee is charged as a percent of all federally authorized telephone charges.
Who gets the money? Schools, libraries, and health care institutions. Funds are allocated by discounts and grants. Other eligible subscribers who apply can receive discounts on services.[/color]

You printed what backs up what I said. It is to subsidize phone service. And, since part of these subsidies are supposedly from long distance carriers, how come people with no long distance are still charged?

I am glad you brought up the FREE HANDOUTS, sparkless. How are the free handouts/government money/taxpayers money working out paying for your kids college tuition?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:32 pm 

I'm still confused about who pays for these free phones. One thing for sure, the venders have disappeared from the old Walgreen site. I think it would have been a great day there for the repo man however. I can tell one thing. They drove up in many new cars and some of the luxury type.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:41 pm 

Information on Accessible Cell Phones for People with Special Needs

It All Starts with Communication

Home | Blind/Low Vision | Seniors Cell Phones | Physical Disabilities | Hearing | Free Cell Phones Lifeline and Link-Up | Environmental Control Units | Telecommunications Act | Speech to Speech | Speech to Text | Voice Only Speakerphone | Information | Site Map
Lifeline and Link-up, Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs from the Government
Starting in 2005, the Federal Government, in a partnership between the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the National Association of Regulatory Commissioners (NARUC), started the Lifeline Across America national program. While Lifeline has been in existence since 1985, the goal of this program is to sign up poor and low-income Americans into the government's Lifeline and Link-up free phone and free cell phone programs.

Many Americans do not have home phone service. This is often because they are poor or low income and just can't afford either the initial phone set up and installation fees or the monthly service bills.

Some facts from the FCC regarding the need for free phones and free cell phones for the poor and low income:

•As of July 2006, approximately 6.3 million American households did not have telephones.
•More than 13 percent of American households with an annual income below $10,000 do not have telephones.
For many Americans, free phones and free cell phones are not a luxury. Americans without free phones and free cell phones when they have no other means of obtaining are cutoff from the ability to make emergency 911 calls, call their family or neighbors for help and assistance, make or change medical appointments, call for transportation. Of course people with disabilities make up a higher portion of low income Americans than the general population. There is a real need for free government phones and cell phones for people with disabilities.

Custom Search

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who Can Qualify for Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones?
Government provided free phones and free cell phones are available to Americans in every part of the U.S. Each state determines what makes you eligible to receive a free government phone or free government cell phone. Some states have their own Lifeline program and can come up with their own criteria regarding eligibility. Those states that do not have their own Lifeline low income phone program and are using the federal Lifeline and Link-Up free phone and free cell phone government programs, low income consumers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

•Medicaid,

•Food Stamps,

•Supplemental Security Income (SSI),

•Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8),

•Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),

•Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or

•The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program.

Residents of Native American Indian and Alaska Native tribal communities qualify for enhanced Lifeline and Link-Up support if they meet one of the criteria listed above, qualify under their state’s Lifeline program (if their state has its own Lifeline program), or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

•Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance,

•Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF), or

•Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met).

For household income to be at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, total income for the household must not be more than the following:

Number of People
In Your Family
Lower 48 / DC
Hawaii
Alaska

$14,702
$16,929
$18,360

$19,859
$22,856
$24,813

$25,016
$28,782
$31,266

$30,173
$34,709
$37,719

$35,330
$40,635
$44,172

$40,487
$46,562
$50,625

$45,644
$52,488
$57,078

$50,801
$58,415
$63,531

These income levels are based on data from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). For each additional person in the household beyond eight, add the following dollar amounts to the income eligibility requirements: $5,157 for persons living in the Lower 48 and D.C., $6,453 for Alaska, and $5,927 for Hawaii.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly are Lifeline and Link-up, the Free Phone and Free Cell Phones Government Programs?
•Lifeline provides qualifying low income Americans with a discounted or subsidized monthly phone or cell phone service charges. The subsidy can be as high as $10.00 per month but is dependent on your state's requirements.

•Link-Up provides qualifying low income Americans with a subsidy of up to $30 (1/2 of the cost or $30 whichever is less) for their phone and cell phone startup fees. Link-Up also allows low income Americans to get up to $200 to be used for set-up fees on the phone or cell phone, interest free for up to one year

Who Pays so That Low Income Americans Can Get Subsidized Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones?
The federal Universal Service Fund (USF) pays for the government subsidized free phone and free cell phone programs, Lifeline Assistance and Link-Up America. The Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). All telecommunications service providers (wireline phone companies, wireless phone companies, paging service companies, and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers) pay to the federal USF based on a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues. The telecommunication companies in turn pass these fees onto the American consumers. To connect the dots, the program is funded by the USF, which in turn is funded by the telecommunication companies, which in turn in is funded by American consumers as the telecommunication companies, while not required to do so, do in fact mostly pass these costs along to all their consumers (except the ones participating in the Lifeline and Link-Up programs). So ultimately American telecommunication consumers pay for the government subsidized free phone and free cell phone programs, Lifeline and Link-Up. Some companies who are involved in subsidized government free cell phones point out that the free cell phones that they give to low income Lifeline and Link-up consumers are not funded by the USF and therefore not funded by the American taxpayers. This is absolutely true. The USF is not funded through taxes, rather it is funded by fee that the telephone and wireless companies pass along to their consumers. It would be sort of like instead of paying a state gas tax, the state all of a sudden changed it to a highway use fee, but now said it was no longer a "tax". Ultimately it's the same thing but words do matter. If you also think about it for a second, almost any wireless carrier is willing to give away a free cell phone to any of their subscribers, totally unrelated to the free government cell phone programs of Lifeline and Link-Up. Most cell phone users choose to upgrade their cell phone to a better model but there is almost always a free cell phone option that is available. That's the nature of the cell phone industry business model, it's the monthly service plan where the wireless carriers make their money. The fact is that even if a wireless company gives away free cell phones for use by low income participants in the Lifeline and Link-up programs, they are overall making money with the government subsidized service charges and set up fees, plus I'm sure many low income consumers simply pay the wireless companies beyond the maximum monthly service charge subsidy of $10. The bottom line is that if you take away the USF, which is largely funded by American consumers in the form of fees not taxes, and therefore the Lifeline and Link-Up free government phone and free government cell phone programs, wireless companies would cease to participate in the free government cell phone programs. And then you have to understand that the whole point of the program is to help ensure all Americans, regardless of lack of income, have a minimum level of communications so that they call call emergencies, doctors, family, friends, etc.

What is the Size of the Subsidized Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs, Lifeline and Link-up?
•Lifeline and Link-up provide subsidies to telephones and cell phones to provide basic, local service for more than 7 million low income Americans.
•Approximately 1,700 telephone companies can provide free government phone and cell phone service via the Lifeline and Link-Up programs.
•As of 2009, states with above 50% participation rates (of those low income Americans who are eligible) in the Lifeline program include: Alaska, California, Oklahoma, Montana, and Virginia.

What benefits have we seen from the Subsidized Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs, Lifeline and Link-up?
According to the FCC:

•Since 1985, the percentage of low income households who have taken advantage of the government free phone and cell phone program has grown from 80.0% to 89.7%.
•States that that have provided a high level of Lifeline support for telephone service for low-income consumers experienced an average growth in penetration of 4.0% for low-income households from March 1997 to March 2008.
Conclusions: If we spend money, market, and make available free government phones and free cell phones, low income Americans will use the programs such as Lifeline and Link-up and enjoy the safety and security that a free phone or free cell phone from the government provides. The number of low income Americans who now have access to all the safety benefits provided by free government cell phones and free government phones has increased significantly since the start of the Lifeline Across America national program. Local phone and cell phone service is required for the safety of all Americans.

I think I'm eligible, How do I sign for Free Phones or Free Cell Phones from the Government?
The first place to start is usually contacting your local telephone provider. In other states, low income consumers must apply for Lifeline and Link-up programs through a designated state agency or third party administrator. The best place to find out how to sign up is at the Universal Services Fund website titled, Apply for Lifeline and Link-Up Program Support. On the USF website, for each state, a link to the application procedure, brochure, or who to contact is provided.

Frequently Asked Questions About Lifeline and Link-Up, Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs from the Government
Can I use both Lifeline and Link-Up together at the same time? Yes. If you don't currently have telephone or cell phone service, you can use both Lifeline and Link-Up. If you already have telephone or cell phone service, then you can't use Link-Up, but you can use Lifeline.

Can my Lifeline free cell phone or free phone service be cut off or stopped if I don't pay my long distance bill? The telephone provider cannot cut off local service if you don't pay your long distance bill. However, your long distance service will be blocked until you pay your bill.

What if I have a low credit rating, can I still get a free phone or free cell phone from the government? Yes you can still get your free government phone. The telephone company may block long distance service however.

What if I have an unpaid telephone bill? Can I still participate in Lifeline and Link-Up to get a free government cell phone? Yes, the telephone company can require that you pay any local telephone service bills prior to providing you with a free government phone or free government cell phone but can't make you pay any outstanding long distance charges. The telephone company can however block your long distance service from your free government phone or free government cell phone until any outstanding long distance bills are paid.

Does participation in the Lifeline and Link-Up free government phone programs affect my eligibility for other government services like SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, housing, etc.? No participation in Lifeline and Link-Up does not in any way affect your eligibility or participation in any other program.

Are Lifeline and Link-Up free government phone programs just for the elderly? disabled? No, eligibility requirements for Lifeline and Link-Up is determined by each state but in all cases it is open to all Americans regardless of age or disability rating.

What if I already have a phone, can I still qualify for Lifeline and Link-Up and get my free government phone? No, the Lifeline and Link-Up benefits are available to only one telephone per household.

What if I already have a land line phone, can I still qualify for Lifeline and Link-Up and get a free government cell phone? No, the Lifeline and Link-Up benefits are available to only one telephone (whether land line or cell phone) per household.

Who can Provide Free Phones or Free Cell Phones from the Lifeline and Link-Up Government Programs?
There are over 1,700 telephone companies that participate in the Lifeline and Link-Up government programs providing free phones and free cell phones. In addition many wireless cell phone carriers are authorized to participate in the program to serve low income Americans. Which specific companies and cell phone providers are authorized to provide free government cell phones and free government phones is usually left up to the the individual state. At the state level the program is regulated by a state agency.

The best place to find out how which specific telephone and cell phone providers are authorized is at the Universal Services Fund website titled, Telephone Assistance Programs for Low Income Households. On the USF website, for each state, a pull down tab will show all the authorized telephone and cell phone carriers who can provide free government cell phones and free government phones.

You'll notice that a lot of the big cell phone carriers like T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon Wireless are probably on your state's list as being authorized to provide free government cell phones to low income Americans. In addition there are some niche cell phone providers who have been created to specifically serve the Lifeline and Link-Up low income consumers. The largest being Safelink Wireless. Safelink Wireless is owned by TracFone Wireless which is the largest prepaid cell phone provider in the US. As of October 2009, SafeLink has over 2 million customers and is available in 33 states - Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. It is second only to AT&T in serving Lifeline Link-Up low income consumers.

Home | Blind/Low Vision | Hearing | Quadriplegics | Elderly | Information | Site Map | Testimonials

Copyright © 2004-2011 ETO Engineering, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.

Links
Home

Blind/Low Vision

Seniors Cell Phones

Physical Disabilities

Hearing

Free Cell Phones Lifeline and Link-Up

Telecommunications Act

Speech to Speech

Speech to Text

Information

Site Map

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:46 pm 

Thank you for this post, newsflashkid !!! :D :D :D

HEY SPARKLESS !!! DO YOU WANT YOUR CROW BAKED OR FRIED !!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

newsflashkid wrote:
Information on Accessible Cell Phones for People with Special Needs

It All Starts with Communication

Home | Blind/Low Vision | Seniors Cell Phones | Physical Disabilities | Hearing | Free Cell Phones Lifeline and Link-Up | Environmental Control Units | Telecommunications Act | Speech to Speech | Speech to Text | Voice Only Speakerphone | Information | Site Map
Lifeline and Link-up, Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs from the Government
Starting in 2005, the Federal Government, in a partnership between the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the National Association of Regulatory Commissioners (NARUC), started the Lifeline Across America national program. While Lifeline has been in existence since 1985, the goal of this program is to sign up poor and low-income Americans into the government's Lifeline and Link-up free phone and free cell phone programs.

Many Americans do not have home phone service. This is often because they are poor or low income and just can't afford either the initial phone set up and installation fees or the monthly service bills.

Some facts from the FCC regarding the need for free phones and free cell phones for the poor and low income:

•As of July 2006, approximately 6.3 million American households did not have telephones.
•More than 13 percent of American households with an annual income below $10,000 do not have telephones.
For many Americans, free phones and free cell phones are not a luxury. Americans without free phones and free cell phones when they have no other means of obtaining are cutoff from the ability to make emergency 911 calls, call their family or neighbors for help and assistance, make or change medical appointments, call for transportation. Of course people with disabilities make up a higher portion of low income Americans than the general population. There is a real need for free government phones and cell phones for people with disabilities.

Custom Search

Who Can Qualify for Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones?
Government provided free phones and free cell phones are available to Americans in every part of the U.S. Each state determines what makes you eligible to receive a free government phone or free government cell phone. Some states have their own Lifeline program and can come up with their own criteria regarding eligibility. Those states that do not have their own Lifeline low income phone program and are using the federal Lifeline and Link-Up free phone and free cell phone government programs, low income consumers must either have an income that is at or below 135% of the federal Poverty Guidelines, or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

•Medicaid,

•Food Stamps,

•Supplemental Security Income (SSI),

•Federal Public Housing Assistance (Section 8),

•Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP),

•Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), or

•The National School Lunch Program’s Free Lunch Program.

Residents of Native American Indian and Alaska Native tribal communities qualify for enhanced Lifeline and Link-Up support if they meet one of the criteria listed above, qualify under their state’s Lifeline program (if their state has its own Lifeline program), or participate in one of the following assistance programs:

•Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance,

•Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF), or

•Head Start (if income eligibility criteria are met).

For household income to be at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines, total income for the household must not be more than the following:

Number of People
In Your Family
Lower 48 / DC
Hawaii
Alaska

$14,702
$16,929
$18,360

$19,859
$22,856
$24,813

$25,016
$28,782
$31,266

$30,173
$34,709
$37,719

$35,330
$40,635
$44,172

$40,487
$46,562
$50,625

$45,644
$52,488
$57,078

$50,801
$58,415
$63,531

These income levels are based on data from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). For each additional person in the household beyond eight, add the following dollar amounts to the income eligibility requirements: $5,157 for persons living in the Lower 48 and D.C., $6,453 for Alaska, and $5,927 for Hawaii.

What exactly are Lifeline and Link-up, the Free Phone and Free Cell Phones Government Programs?
•Lifeline provides qualifying low income Americans with a discounted or subsidized monthly phone or cell phone service charges. The subsidy can be as high as $10.00 per month but is dependent on your state's requirements.

•Link-Up provides qualifying low income Americans with a subsidy of up to $30 (1/2 of the cost or $30 whichever is less) for their phone and cell phone startup fees. Link-Up also allows low income Americans to get up to $200 to be used for set-up fees on the phone or cell phone, interest free for up to one year

Who Pays so That Low Income Americans Can Get Subsidized Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones?
The federal Universal Service Fund (USF) pays for the government subsidized free phone and free cell phone programs, Lifeline Assistance and Link-Up America. The Low Income Program of the Universal Service Fund is administered by the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC). All telecommunications service providers (wireline phone companies, wireless phone companies, paging service companies, and certain Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) providers) pay to the federal USF based on a percentage of their interstate and international end-user telecommunications revenues. The telecommunication companies in turn pass these fees onto the American consumers. To connect the dots, the program is funded by the USF, which in turn is funded by the telecommunication companies, which in turn in is funded by American consumers as the telecommunication companies, while not required to do so, do in fact mostly pass these costs along to all their consumers (except the ones participating in the Lifeline and Link-Up programs). So ultimately American telecommunication consumers pay for the government subsidized free phone and free cell phone programs, Lifeline and Link-Up. Some companies who are involved in subsidized government free cell phones point out that the free cell phones that they give to low income Lifeline and Link-up consumers are not funded by the USF and therefore not funded by the American taxpayers. This is absolutely true. The USF is not funded through taxes, rather it is funded by fee that the telephone and wireless companies pass along to their consumers. It would be sort of like instead of paying a state gas tax, the state all of a sudden changed it to a highway use fee, but now said it was no longer a "tax". Ultimately it's the same thing but words do matter. If you also think about it for a second, almost any wireless carrier is willing to give away a free cell phone to any of their subscribers, totally unrelated to the free government cell phone programs of Lifeline and Link-Up. Most cell phone users choose to upgrade their cell phone to a better model but there is almost always a free cell phone option that is available. That's the nature of the cell phone industry business model, it's the monthly service plan where the wireless carriers make their money. The fact is that even if a wireless company gives away free cell phones for use by low income participants in the Lifeline and Link-up programs, they are overall making money with the government subsidized service charges and set up fees, plus I'm sure many low income consumers simply pay the wireless companies beyond the maximum monthly service charge subsidy of $10. The bottom line is that if you take away the USF, which is largely funded by American consumers in the form of fees not taxes, and therefore the Lifeline and Link-Up free government phone and free government cell phone programs, wireless companies would cease to participate in the free government cell phone programs. And then you have to understand that the whole point of the program is to help ensure all Americans, regardless of lack of income, have a minimum level of communications so that they call call emergencies, doctors, family, friends, etc.

What is the Size of the Subsidized Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs, Lifeline and Link-up?
•Lifeline and Link-up provide subsidies to telephones and cell phones to provide basic, local service for more than 7 million low income Americans.
•Approximately 1,700 telephone companies can provide free government phone and cell phone service via the Lifeline and Link-Up programs.
•As of 2009, states with above 50% participation rates (of those low income Americans who are eligible) in the Lifeline program include: Alaska, California, Oklahoma, Montana, and Virginia.

What benefits have we seen from the Subsidized Government Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs, Lifeline and Link-up?
According to the FCC:

•Since 1985, the percentage of low income households who have taken advantage of the government free phone and cell phone program has grown from 80.0% to 89.7%.
•States that that have provided a high level of Lifeline support for telephone service for low-income consumers experienced an average growth in penetration of 4.0% for low-income households from March 1997 to March 2008.
Conclusions: If we spend money, market, and make available free government phones and free cell phones, low income Americans will use the programs such as Lifeline and Link-up and enjoy the safety and security that a free phone or free cell phone from the government provides. The number of low income Americans who now have access to all the safety benefits provided by free government cell phones and free government phones has increased significantly since the start of the Lifeline Across America national program. Local phone and cell phone service is required for the safety of all Americans.

I think I'm eligible, How do I sign for Free Phones or Free Cell Phones from the Government?
The first place to start is usually contacting your local telephone provider. In other states, low income consumers must apply for Lifeline and Link-up programs through a designated state agency or third party administrator. The best place to find out how to sign up is at the Universal Services Fund website titled, Apply for Lifeline and Link-Up Program Support. On the USF website, for each state, a link to the application procedure, brochure, or who to contact is provided.

Frequently Asked Questions About Lifeline and Link-Up, Free Phones and Free Cell Phones Programs from the Government
Can I use both Lifeline and Link-Up together at the same time? Yes. If you don't currently have telephone or cell phone service, you can use both Lifeline and Link-Up. If you already have telephone or cell phone service, then you can't use Link-Up, but you can use Lifeline.

Can my Lifeline free cell phone or free phone service be cut off or stopped if I don't pay my long distance bill? The telephone provider cannot cut off local service if you don't pay your long distance bill. However, your long distance service will be blocked until you pay your bill.

What if I have a low credit rating, can I still get a free phone or free cell phone from the government? Yes you can still get your free government phone. The telephone company may block long distance service however.

What if I have an unpaid telephone bill? Can I still participate in Lifeline and Link-Up to get a free government cell phone? Yes, the telephone company can require that you pay any local telephone service bills prior to providing you with a free government phone or free government cell phone but can't make you pay any outstanding long distance charges. The telephone company can however block your long distance service from your free government phone or free government cell phone until any outstanding long distance bills are paid.

Does participation in the Lifeline and Link-Up free government phone programs affect my eligibility for other government services like SSI, Medicaid, food stamps, housing, etc.? No participation in Lifeline and Link-Up does not in any way affect your eligibility or participation in any other program.

Are Lifeline and Link-Up free government phone programs just for the elderly? disabled? No, eligibility requirements for Lifeline and Link-Up is determined by each state but in all cases it is open to all Americans regardless of age or disability rating.

What if I already have a phone, can I still qualify for Lifeline and Link-Up and get my free government phone? No, the Lifeline and Link-Up benefits are available to only one telephone per household.

What if I already have a land line phone, can I still qualify for Lifeline and Link-Up and get a free government cell phone? No, the Lifeline and Link-Up benefits are available to only one telephone (whether land line or cell phone) per household.

Who can Provide Free Phones or Free Cell Phones from the Lifeline and Link-Up Government Programs?
There are over 1,700 telephone companies that participate in the Lifeline and Link-Up government programs providing free phones and free cell phones. In addition many wireless cell phone carriers are authorized to participate in the program to serve low income Americans. Which specific companies and cell phone providers are authorized to provide free government cell phones and free government phones is usually left up to the the individual state. At the state level the program is regulated by a state agency.

The best place to find out how which specific telephone and cell phone providers are authorized is at the Universal Services Fund website titled, Telephone Assistance Programs for Low Income Households. On the USF website, for each state, a pull down tab will show all the authorized telephone and cell phone carriers who can provide free government cell phones and free government phones.

You'll notice that a lot of the big cell phone carriers like T-Mobile, AT&T, Verizon Wireless are probably on your state's list as being authorized to provide free government cell phones to low income Americans. In addition there are some niche cell phone providers who have been created to specifically serve the Lifeline and Link-Up low income consumers. The largest being Safelink Wireless. Safelink Wireless is owned by TracFone Wireless which is the largest prepaid cell phone provider in the US. As of October 2009, SafeLink has over 2 million customers and is available in 33 states - Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. It is second only to AT&T in serving Lifeline Link-Up low income consumers.

Home | Blind/Low Vision | Hearing | Quadriplegics | Elderly | Information | Site Map | Testimonials

Copyright © 2004-2011 ETO Engineering, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.

Links
Home

Blind/Low Vision

Seniors Cell Phones

Physical Disabilities

Hearing

Free Cell Phones Lifeline and Link-Up

Telecommunications Act

Speech to Speech

Speech to Text

Information

Site Map

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:43 pm 

http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/Welcome.aspx

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke