Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 8:42 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Special Meeting 12-21-2011
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm 

Here are the highlights of the quick meeting:

All Board Members were present.

Public Expression

Pat O'Rourke, the Teacher Union President, said the SCH and the Teachers Union have always worked together for the good of the students.He said the Teachers Union will still work together with the SCH, even with the change in State Law.

Acceptance Of Disclosure Of Conflict Of Interest

Becky Ward declared that her husband is an employee of the SCH.

Consent Agenda

Contract negotiations was the topic for the SCH attorney. He said that an agreement has been made with some SCH employees, and that negotiations are going on with others. The consent agenda which included the contract negotiatons, was voted affirmative by the Board by a 4-1 vote. Ms. Murphy objected, and wanted the consent agenda split up into different sections to be voted on seperately. Dr. Watkins also will get a raise in salary, in addition to the other SCH employees.

My Take:

Very quick meeting. I think maybe some of the items to be voted on should have been discussed more prior to the board meeting. Some SCH employees are making only minimum wage, or slightly above. This increase, reportedly at 2%, will not help very much. Doing my math, they will be getting $7.40 an hour, which puts them below poverty level.

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Special Meeting 12-21-2011
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:31 am 

Very quick meeting. I think maybe some of the items to be voted on should have been discussed more prior to the board meeting. Some SCH employees are making only minimum wage, or slightly above. This increase, reportedly at 2%, will not help very much. Doing my math, they will be getting $7.40 an hour, which puts them below poverty level.

While I don't know what these positions are I'd like to see administrative positions cut and those remaining administrators making over $100k take a 2% pay cut to help offset these raises. Schools cannot just keep raising budgets and crying wolf when the money is used up. Could say the same of Congress but that's a matter for another forum or two. ;)

Dr. Watkins also will get a raise in salary, in addition to the other SCH employees.

A raise???? He needs to instead get a pink slip after the miserable job he's done.

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm 

Regionite wrote:

While I don't know what these positions are I'd like to see administrative positions cut and those remaining administrators making over $100k take a 2% pay cut to help offset these raises. Schools cannot just keep raising budgets and crying wolf when the money is used up. Could say the same of Congress but that's a matter for another forum or two. ;)

Dr. Watkins also will get a raise in salary, in addition to the other SCH employees.

A raise???? He needs to instead get a pink slip after the miserable job he's done.

I do not know the exact amount, but it has got to be close to $150,000 a year. Don't forget, he gets a vehicle, pension, and insurance too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:30 pm 

I know one top notch former superintendent in FL who everybody likes and was doing a great job until suddenly a couple of school board members decided they wanted her gone just as the school year was starting for reasons not made public. Taxpayers got screwed in this deal as her contract only had 1 year left anyway and there was no candidate to replace her waiting in the wings. You have to conclude from this and Hammond's unwillingness to get a capable superintendent that in cases it doesn't matter what kind of job you're doing as long as the board members are pleased. So once again you can look at the Watkins vote and see that the problem here is with the city voters and an unwillingness of better people to serve on the board.

Apparently it's about cast preservation. We are no longer the United States of America. Today we are the Obama nation which causes desolation. When you think Obama & the Dems are saying they want fair taxes they really mean fare taxes for all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:03 pm 

Regionite wrote:
I know one top notch former superintendent in FL who everybody likes and was doing a great job until suddenly a couple of school board members decided they wanted her gone just as the school year was starting for reasons not made public. Taxpayers got screwed in this deal as her contract only had 1 year left anyway and there was no candidate to replace her waiting in the wings. You have to conclude from this and Hammond's unwillingness to get a capable superintendent that in cases it doesn't matter what kind of job you're doing as long as the board members are pleased. So once again you can look at the Watkins vote and see that the problem here is with the city voters and an unwillingness of better people to serve on the board.

I agree. Voter apathy is a big problem, but running for an office that has great power, but pays very little, is a bigger problem. There are people willing to run, but it is cost prohibitive. $2,500 a year for a paycheck, would barely cover your gas. Plus, just to get on the ballot, you have to have certified signatures of at least 200 voters.
There are perks, though. You get medical insurance for $1 a year, and you get to go to all kinds of seminars, retreats, state meetings, national meetings, board training,etc, all at the taxpayers expense.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:42 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
Regionite wrote:

I agree. Voter apathy is a big problem, but running for an office that has great power, but pays very little, is a bigger problem. There are people willing to run, but it is cost prohibitive. $2,500 a year for a paycheck, would barely cover your gas. Plus, just to get on the ballot, you have to have certified signatures of at least 200 voters.
There are perks, though. You get medical insurance for $1 a year, and you get to go to all kinds of seminars, retreats, state meetings, national meetings, board training,etc, all at the taxpayers expense.

You and your family live just fine at the taxpayer's expense. When was the last time you earned a paycheck instead of waiting to the mailman to deliver your SSD check from Uncle Sam?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:41 am 

sparks wrote:
You and your family live just fine at the taxpayer's expense.

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Wow. What awesome insight, depth, and originality from someone bought and paid for by College Bound. If and when your daughter follows in your footsteps and earns her social science degree, I hope it is worth the $30,000 the city took from the mouths of widows, orphans, and disabled veterans to pay her tuition.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:29 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
You and your family live just fine at the taxpayer's expense.

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Wow. What awesome insight, depth, and originality from someone bought and paid for by College Bound. If and when your daughter follows in your footsteps and earns her social science degree, I hope it is worth the $30,000 the city took from the mouths of widows, orphans, and disabled veterans to pay her tuition.

Yeah, Sparkless has no trouble taking government/taxpayers money, does he? What a hypocrit !!! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:01 am 

You and your family live just fine at the taxpayer's expense. When was the last time you earned a paycheck instead of waiting to the mailman to deliver your SSD check from Uncle Sam?

And what does that have to do with a corrupt school board and superintendent who can't even get the job of educating the children done right? Or do you think they're doing a wonderful job and we just need to be content with the status quo and failing schools?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:28 pm 

Regionite wrote:

And what does that have to do with a corrupt school board and superintendent who can't even get the job of educating the children done right? Or do you think they're doing a wonderful job and we just need to be content with the status quo and failing schools?
Hey einstein, care to elaborate on your corruption charges?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:24 pm 

How many times do we have to elaborate the situation for you just so you can either make up some nonsense or just not bother to reply at all? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:10 pm 

sparks wrote:

Is this the same guy who will be raiding the pockets of widows, orphans, and disabled veterans to the tune of $30,000 just so he doesn't have to pay to send his own spawn to college, or is this a different union lunkhead who calls himself "Sparks"? The Mayor should be ashamed of himself for being your enabler.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:11 am 

You miss the point. He considers it his right, just like Medicare and drawing social security is his right. He just doesn't want people making more money than him having those rights but still having to pay in their fair share for it.

:smt003

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:28 am 

Regionite wrote:
You miss the point. He considers it his right, just like Medicare and drawing social security is his right. He just doesn't want people making more money than him having those rights but still having to pay in their fair share for it.

:smt003

Yeah, let's see if he refuses Social Security and Medicare when HE is age eligible. I bet he won't. :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:33 pm 

Say didn't he keep telling us how fantastic Obamacare is, except isn't he exempted out of it himself? hee hee