Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: i want to commend
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:47 am 
Banned

the hammond high principal for taking an ethical stand http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/11/16 ... 176853.txt

mr. chavez may be a very quality man. but the claim by the athletic director that he should somehow get a pass for his 'mistake' is absolutely the wrong thing schools should be teaching kids.

high school atheletics are suppossed to be about teaching charector and improving the students academic environment to help them toward a better life. the idea that the coach should be excused for knowingly allowing a star athelete to play while ineligible sends exactly the wrong message. this wasnt a mistake mr. wraggs. it was a philosphical incongruity that shows why chavez should not be allowed to coach hammond students.

hopefully the qb will now recognize that by userping the stated rules he only contributed to making things worse on his coach, teamates, and self. that is a life lesson he can take forward with him. simply excusing the incident and allowing chavez to stay would have showed the qb and all of his teammates that as long as you can get away with it, bending or breaking the rules is ok. sorry but that's not going to help any of them later in life. maybe the sports ad needs to be ushered out of town too?

besides that how does a former school janitor become city ad anyway?

i wish mr. chavez well in the future. hopefully he will be able to work his way up (through being an asst coach elsewhere) and eventually get a head coaching job somewhere else. next time, hopefully he will also know better and not make the same decision. than he can wind up benefitting from the life lesson too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:18 pm 
Banned

I agree with the article, most of the people made TOO much of it. Thank god that he keeps his teaching profession, however, the hypocrisy of the system is revealed. Like some of the people stated, others get less than what Chavez EVER did. Well, I guess his last name did it.