Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: the beginning
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:35 am 
Banned

some of you have reasonably questioned the my exhuberence over the planned 29 homes in hessville because that project is getting a push from local government to happen.

well here are a few over a dozen that are being proposed by comepletly private financing (developer) and in one of the worst nieghborhoods (generally) in east hammond!

http://nwitimes.com/articles/2006/11/17 ... 1cb230.txt

as ive said before. once it starts...it the rate of new growth will grow expedentially. and with 40 houses total on the drawing board to start construction next spring. it looks like the residential construction boom officially begins in hammond in March.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:03 pm 

Steve,
I really hope you are right. The key to this being successful is whether
they can sell the townhomes. I think it has a better chance of succeeding
than Millenium Manor did because these are townhouses, so poor schools won't be as much of an issue as they were in Millenium Manor. Your typical
townhome buyer doesn't have kids. I would also like to see the city try to
do this type of developement near the South Shore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:31 pm 

I would also like to see the city try to

So who's houses would you be taking to build them? :shock:

I'm not a fan of townhouses really. And I'm especially not of fan of management associations, if there would be one. There's a case in FL where a couple was ordered by the association to stop smoking in their own home! Say what you will about smoking but that's none of anybody's business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:32 am 

Mirage wrote:

I'm not a fan of townhouses really. And I'm especially not of fan of management associations, if there would be one. There's a case in FL where a couple was ordered by the association to stop smoking in their own home! Say what you will about smoking but that's none of anybody's business.

There may be more to the case than that. It could be that the couple was smoking in the common areas or that they were smoking so much with their windows open that it impacted their neighbors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:47 am 

sparks wrote:
Mirage wrote:

There may be more to the case than that. It could be that the couple was smoking in the common areas or that they were smoking so much with their windows open that it impacted their neighbors.

Nope! They literally could only smoke outside.

They had the bad fate of buying in where non-smokers ruled and they claimed the smoke ventured it's way into the other units. Now I might could understand if being a non-smoker was a condition of buying, but that wasn't the case. The association just voted smoking out.

In another case there were detached homes under a management association and they ordered a family to not display a US flag on patriotic holidays. The rule wasn't intended to prevent flag displays, but was rather to keep conformity of the look of the neighborhood however the rule was enforced under the most strict interpretation of the rule.