Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hammond Renaissance? Tom McDermott Jr's Standards
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:13 am 

A visitor to the campfire brought some firewood and hot chocolate, I added the marshmellows. In our conversation they asked why haven't I been posting some of Hammond's best on line? They wondered if after McDermott spent millions on tearing down properties, if Hammond was cleaned up?

Cleaned up enough for McDermott to spend $1,500,000 on 3 overpasses so people could bicycle thru Hammond.

I've been absent, for a while, so I thought it just might be time to do post for their benefit.

This prize has been standing like this, well for years now. Neighbors are not happy with it. Property values went up didn't they?

A sample of Tom McDermott's Development. Did these guys get a bond deal floated for them? Did they get funding from Hammond citizens to build this outstanding dollar store? Nope.

So that answer places in question, Matt's thoughts on why Hammond is even discussing why a $850,000 bond is being floated for a entity to build a franchise chicken joint? We give the $850,000, they build it and gain profits from the establishment and then franchise out the building. Is the franchise going to one of Tom's friends?

The above rental is sorta an interesting residence, the upstairs window has been broken now for years.

Latest trend in Housing in Hammond... converting garages into coach houses.... :smt007

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:29 pm 

A familiar picture, still standing, I wonder which friend and family member owns this jem.

Now instead of wasting $4,500,000 on a couple of bicycle bridges

or

Wasting $547,000 on a tennis court, where the initial contractor went bankrupt, &
Tom's legal people didn't go after the contractor, as a result, inflated, no grossly inflated the
cost of the Harrison Park tennis courts... Tom used your money as a gift!

Sweet Tom...75138

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:16 pm 

Quote:

2:14-cv-00018-APR Woods v. Hammond Indiana City of et al
Andrew P Rodovich, presiding
Date filed: 01/22/2014
Date of last filing: 03/07/2014

2:13-cv-00450-TLS-PRC Moreno-Avalos v. Hammond Indiana City Hall of et al
Theresa L Springmann, presiding
Paul R Cherry, referral
Date filed: 12/06/2013
Date of last filing: 03/17/2014

2:13-cv-00091-JVB-APR Blake-King v. McDermott et al
Joseph S Van Bokkelen, presiding
Andrew P Rodovich, referral
Date filed: 03/08/2013
Date of last filing: 01/27/2014

2:13-cv-00347-TLS-PRC Moreno-Avalos v. Hammond Indiana City Hall of et al
Theresa L Springmann, presiding
Paul R Cherry, referral
Date filed: 09/26/2013
Date of last filing: 05/20/2014

In addition to the discrimination suit McDermott had to settle, Seems like Tom has got a couple of Federally filed pieces of litigation, that just won't go away!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:41 am 

Is it true?

Visitors to the campfire are repeating a story about Lefty, McDermott, Dedlow, Lendi, city controlers office and politics.

Is it true a few weeks ago, when Lefty called Dedlow show, which resulted in Lendi resigning?

Did someone question how a police investigative file disappear from the Hammond Police Department, an investigative file involving Lendi's wife?

Shredding docs @ city hall?

And a shredding operation begins on Tom McDermott's Black Friday, June 13th, 2014....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:26 am 

What I have just read here, backs up a lot of what I have heard from credible sources.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:47 am 

sparks wrote:
Meanwhile, in the real world, the property continues to deteriorate and is a blight on the neighborhood. I'm sure that the neighbors who take care of their homes wished the plaintiff would have spent the money he spent on attorneys repairing the property.

Most of these properties have been standing like you see them for years.

Seems like a common theme in Hammond, deterioration and the selective enforcement practices. I'll bet the plaintiff wire twister writes about sure didn't vote for McDermott.

While others, some of whom put up McDermott campaign signs, receive special privileged. They turn what appears to be a single family homes into a 3 unit, improve an adjacent building and taxes are a bargain! Did someone of privileged have enough juice to have someone in Hammond city government forgets to forward permitted property improvements to the county, giving them a tax break? http://www.northwestindiana.com/discussionforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11663&sid=2f3c0a13ee0221e0042f37d9869a1353

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:22 am 

I have talked to the older lady who lives in the worst house in the pictures. She has a lot of health problems, and has no money to fix it. It has been falling apart for years. I wish the city would reach out to people like her, and try to find a solution, instead of rushing to demo. There is Hammer For Hearts, which might help her out. I feel bad for her.

On a happier note, JCMT, my daughters house is getting new siding and a new roof. Go by and check it out. She has got to save up now, for the garage roof. The house was a priority. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:13 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
I have talked to the older lady who lives in the worst house in the pictures. She has a lot of health problems, and has no money to fix it. It has been falling apart for years. I wish the city would reach out to people like her, and try to find a solution, instead of rushing to demo. There is Hammer For Hearts, which might help her out. I feel bad for her.

Tiger, if the outside of the home looks like it does, the inside may be just as problematic.

It is a shame a senior citizen, who lived, paid taxes in the community, contributed as long as she had, is not assured a safe quality of life during her later years.

It it is more of a shame no one in city hall has the intellectual depth to help her make a transition, by assisting her move into one of the senior citizen complexes built in Hammond just for such residents.... oh I forgot, because of Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr, playing with HUD money, and the shoddy book keeping practices, in 2012 HUD suspended Hammond's participation, with drew funds specifically going to be used to build a senior citizen housing complex. http://www.hudoig.gov/sites/default/files/Audit_Reports/2012-CH-1009.pdf

But one thing happened before HUD's freeze, Per the State Board of Accounts, and I am summarizing their comments, Apparently Mr. Phil Tallon opened an account, someone placed nearly $600,000 into the account on behalf of the ReDevelopment Commission. Checks, in the amount of $550,000 (approximately) were cut from the account with out Redevelopment Commission Approval. Nearly $600,000 spent with out a legal authorization by the RDC!

This lack of leadership, excuse me, it wasn't a lack of Leadership by McDermott, it was most likely by McDermott's directions this was done, as in any other business, someone acting on their own, in violation of State Law would have been fired. Mayor Thomas McDermott's actions, placed in jeopardy a senior citizen housing project, a $10,000,000 project!

So if this senior doesn't have a housing option, you can thank Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr.

Now, Are we going to have another SIBLEY incident where due McDermott's people's ineptitude, 3 children died in a fire?
http://www.northwestindiana.com/discussionforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11509&sid=aeee6c6c7bd68b505114f7b1e54629af

It's more important, that a construction firm attached to someone who had a lead role in his campaign got $400,000 in no bid contracts to build two homes so a couple of connected city employees could buy them with 10 year tax abatement's.

And Tommie wants to run for Governor. Sweet!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:54 am 

The above photo is especially interesting, HUD moneys used to rehab this property and it has stood vacant for years now, porch deck rotted, porch roof falling down.

It's current condition places in question the scope of work completed, the quality of that work, who inspected it and signed off on the work, and lastly at what cost.

Why wasn't this property finished and placed on the market like the property a certain city councilman listed?

Is this a criminal enterprise, spending federal money to partially rehab homes, payments made to a specific contractor? Did some of this money come back around, winding up in McDermott's Campaign Chest?

Would this money have been better spent rehabbing the home of who Tiger1 spoke of?

And is someone receiving a
fee for security alarm services on this property? Hmmmm?

Would that be illegal, conflictual, an ethics issue?

Maybe this is why, Hammond does not participate in the Lake Ethics Reform movement by Cal? Too much money to loose.

And this photo is what I find to be most hypocritical... and actually insulting.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:57 am 

JCMT, you are so right ! I would rather see the money invested in an elderly person's house, instead of wasting it on properties like this. An older person like this has probably paid taxes and maintained their homes for as long as they could, sticking it out in Hammond.
I wonder what ever happened to that shack on Hoffman you showcased, that was supposedly "rehabbed" to the tune of around $70,000? You know,the one that had bare wires strung on the rafters?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:57 pm 

Now I hope this brick work came with a guarantee? :oops: .

Now in McDermott's neighborhood, you would never see a lot with 4'tall weeds, or the multi unit in such condition behind it. Must be one of the properties someone overlooked. I wonder how that happened?

Tom must have been spending too much time to secure $50,000 of funding for the Snake Fest. Apparently the $40,000 approved by Spiro's board is the second largest donor for the Snake Fest.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:03 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:

Now in McDermott's neighborhood, you would never see a lot with 4'tall weeds, or the multi unit in such condition behind it. Must be one of the properties someone overlooked. I wonder how that happened?

Tom must have been spending too much time to secure $50,000 of funding for the Snake Fest. Apparently the $40,000 approved by Spiro's board is the second largest donor for the Snake Fest.

Quote:
exerpts from an Hammond Times article: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/hammond-opens-bike-pedestrian-bridges/article_0b60f5a5-ab6f-5d4d-9493-5ba0edd87382.html

McDermott said it's a blessing that in older communities like Hammond, East Chicago and Gary old, abandoned rail lines can be converted into bike trails.

"We're linking all these trails together and making a first-class trail system," he said.

McDermott lauded the opening last year of three miles of new trail connecting downtown Hammond with the border of Munster. Later this summer that link to Munster will be complete with the opening of a new bridge over the Little Calumet River just east of Homan Avenue.

Mitch Barloga, the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission transportation planning manager, said Hammond is a community that cares about nonmotorized access.

"You can go throughout all of this region and you're going to have a lot of areas where trails intersect with busy roadways," he said. "These bridges are crossing two very busy roadways. The mayor and Hammond decided it was important enough to actually use the monies to get this accomplished.

"I work with federal monies all the time and, of course, that takes forever. Some projects take 10 years. He knows he has a critical issue here and it had to be addressed."

The city paid for the bridges with gaming revenue. The dual-span Erie Lackawanna Trail bridge cost $1.8 million and the single-span Monon Trail bridge cost $1.5 million, City Engineer Stan Dostatni said.

Dostatni said the city just received a grant from the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission to build an Erie-Lackawanna Trail bridge across Calumet Avenue and Conkey Street. Construction won't begin sooner than 2016, he said.

Gaming money used for bike paths?

Some of Hammond's Senior Citizens are in need of some basic services....safe housing.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:15 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
justcallmetommy wrote:

Quote:
exerpts from an Hammond Times article: http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/hammond-opens-bike-pedestrian-bridges/article_0b60f5a5-ab6f-5d4d-9493-5ba0edd87382.html

McDermott said it's a blessing that in older communities like Hammond, East Chicago and Gary old, abandoned rail lines can be converted into bike trails.

"We're linking all these trails together and making a first-class trail system," he said.

McDermott lauded the opening last year of three miles of new trail connecting downtown Hammond with the border of Munster. Later this summer that link to Munster will be complete with the opening of a new bridge over the Little Calumet River just east of Homan Avenue.

Mitch Barloga, the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission transportation planning manager, said Hammond is a community that cares about nonmotorized access.

"You can go throughout all of this region and you're going to have a lot of areas where trails intersect with busy roadways," he said. "These bridges are crossing two very busy roadways. The mayor and Hammond decided it was important enough to actually use the monies to get this accomplished.

"I work with federal monies all the time and, of course, that takes forever. Some projects take 10 years. He knows he has a critical issue here and it had to be addressed."

The city paid for the bridges with gaming revenue. The dual-span Erie Lackawanna Trail bridge cost $1.8 million and the single-span Monon Trail bridge cost $1.5 million, City Engineer Stan Dostatni said.

Dostatni said the city just received a grant from the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission to build an Erie-Lackawanna Trail bridge across Calumet Avenue and Conkey Street. Construction won't begin sooner than 2016, he said.

Gaming money used for bike paths?

Some of Hammond's Senior Citizens are in need of some basic services....safe housing.

Yes they are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:33 am 

Another Building to be rehabbed by Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr... a community waiting, what appears to be for years, a promise to improve this building....but Tom find's it more important to use $4,500,000 in gaming money so a contractor who contributes to his campaign fund gets to build overpasses.

Sounds like Mayor McDermott Jr is screwing the community... let them eat cake he says!

And yes, Mayor McDermott uses facebook to market how competent a mayor he is... attempting to extort $50,000 from the Convention Bureau and he won't share his displeasure to the State Legislature... and hard working Hammond residents are looking for relief, relief to improve their community. Seems like this jem has been standing for some while.

This property was featured a couple of years ago. I just love tall prairie grass. At least the prairie grass will keep the kids away from a building that just may cause great physical harm to them if they play in it? Or is this one of Mayor Thomas McDermott Jr's new concepts in a youth adventure park?

McDermott's neighborhood doesn't look like this, apparently this neighborhood just doesn't count?

And you have just got to ask your self, $4,500,000 in gaming money used for 3 bicycle bridges, really?

Gaming money was used because Hammond's credit line is exhausted? The just above junk bond status of Hammond's "BAA credit rating" can't be stretched any more? No wonder Tom wants to run for state wide office.

Lets hope the indictment comes before he makes a larger fool of himself.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:33 am 

Now this absolutely is a wonderful playground for some of Hammond's children....

Another successful rehab project. This is ready made for a family to move into.

We have got to feed the rats in town, other wise they might be feeding on some of the politicians.

This pic is about not the trailer, but the severely damaged roof to the right of the trailer. Now how come this building is still standing? I know, just maybe the property owner purchased insurance thru a certain contractor who has ties to the Hammond City court? Sorta like the Hispanic woman suing the city of Hammond, Thomas McDermott Jr, her house is on the demo list. Apparently Moreno didn't by the insurance offered by a certain contractor who, per Moreno implied if I don't put your roof on maybe code enforcement might find something else.

And my favorite:
I bicycled by this place the other day, snapped this photo, the photo's just don't give a true depiction of the property, and yes it is occupied.

Did someone buy insurance?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next