Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Another Hammond break in!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

I've lived in my home for 32 years. Today, after work, I came home and opened my door. The house had been ransacked. My grandmother's jewelry, my deceased aunt Sally's jewelry and all my jewelry and my granddaughters jewelry were gone. All our drawers were emptied. A brand new tv (still in the box) was taken along with a laptop and a netbook. My husband has been working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, for what???? So lazy a** drug infested creeps can walk away with everything he has worked so hard for! When I came home I noticed two Hammond cops sitting at the corner. Do you know it was 20 minutes later after I called them that they came????? Why aren't the working citizens of Hammond being taken care of??? They walked around, looked at the damage that was done and told me to make a list of what's missing. No fingerprint dusting. They did take pictures. I don't want these creeps or the cops to keep me from living in my home, but I may have no choice. It's a shame Hammond doesn't want hard working people living here!!

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be ... The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Another Hammond break in!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:08 pm 

You can take comfort in the facts that:

a) the thieves probably had to make a 10-second detour around some roadblock while they made of with your stuff and;

b) they couldn't shoot at patrons standing in front of the prestigious LaRosa's Club.

Have a Happy Hammond Weekend! Enjoy your stay-ay-ay-ay-cation!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:39 am 

What section of the city did this robbery take place? With all these gold buying places opening up, the selling of the jewelry is easy to get rid of. I wonder if the police ever check these operators out like they do the operators of pawn shops. By the way, Hammond has another pawn shop, it just opened on Sibley in the 100 block.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:55 am 

Woodmar section! And one of those gold places opened up just down the street from me on Indianapolis and 175th! I asked my son the same question about the gold places. I will go and check it out this morning. :twisted:

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be ... The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe. - Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:16 am 

newsflashkid wrote:
By the way, Hammond has another pawn shop, it just opened on Sibley in the 100 block.

Wow! What a testament to the success of the College Bound program. Maybe you can shoehorn another pawn shop into the former LaRosa's nightclub.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:20 am 

celtic1950 wrote:
I've lived in my home for 32 years. Today, after work, I came home and opened my door. The house had been ransacked. My grandmother's jewelry, my deceased aunt Sally's jewelry and all my jewelry and my granddaughters jewelry were gone. All our drawers were emptied. A brand new tv (still in the box) was taken along with a laptop and a netbook. My husband has been working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, for what???? So lazy a** drug infested creeps can walk away with everything he has worked so hard for! When I came home I noticed two Hammond cops sitting at the corner. Do you know it was 20 minutes later after I called them that they came????? Why aren't the working citizens of Hammond being taken care of??? They walked around, looked at the damage that was done and told me to make a list of what's missing. No fingerprint dusting. They did take pictures. I don't want these creeps or the cops to keep me from living in my home, but I may have no choice. It's a shame Hammond doesn't want hard working people living here!!

I am so sorry this happened to you, Celtic ! :( I just found out a couple of days ago, that one of my neighbors has had 3 burglaries in a short space of time. Almost everyone in my neighborhood has been hit. :( The crooks are hitting the places during the day, while people are at work. In the case of one neighbor down the street from me, they waited until she left to drop off her kids at school, then smashed in her back window.

We have had to turn our home into a fort. We are totally fenced in, with locked gates. We have the dogs, and deadbolts, but even that doesn't deter the crooks. 2 of my neighbors that were broken into had dogs, but not the real watch dog types. One of my neighbors that got broken into, got a nice big Rottweiler after they broke into his house by smashing in his kitchen window. His little dogs were no defense against the crooks, but OTOH, his 160 pound Rott is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:50 pm 

I'm sorry to hear that your home was broken into. The most effective way to prevent burglaries is to have a security system installed and use it. Last year there were several break ins on Baring and all of them were at homes without security systems. They are only a couple hundred bucks to have installed and are worth every penny.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:46 pm 

sparks wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that your home was broken into. The most effective way to prevent burglaries is to have a security system installed and use it. Last year there were several break ins on Baring and all of them were at homes without security systems. They are only a couple hundred bucks to have installed and are worth every penny.

I thought that once McTavern's was closed Baring Avenue would become more of an Eden than it already was. Now you need security systems in that "nice" part of town?

Those thieves must be the only people in Lake County that don't know you pack a Kel-Tech and frequent Deb's Gun Range.

Oops. Thieves hit Deb's too, right? Good thing those traffic barriers have been installed all over the fair city of Hammond.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:10 am 

I see Sparks mentions a burglar system for a few hundred bucks. That's the price for suckers, my friends. How about the monthly charges of around 34 bucks. Now some of these alarms go into the police station and others go to the individual alarm companies around the world. Yes around the world is correct. Alarm companies install your alarm for that 200 bucks and in turn, have a monitoring company do the monitoring. This is all done by using 800 numbers. If the police are answerinhg the alarms on their alarm board, how much of the monthly fee goes to the city, if any? Some of these alarm monitoring companies are overseas and the original alarm installers in some cases, only pays around 2 bucks a month for the monitoring services. So if your alarm goes off and the alarm monitoring company is even in the states, look at the time to make that connection. So if some out there is thinking about an alarm that will be monitored, make sure they have their own monitoring station. Plus be careful of that monthly charge. Now Sparks, you mention this few bucks to have it installed, I bet one thing at that price, it isn't UNION labor doing the job. Shame on you for promoting scabs. (stay away from electric companies installing systems, they don't know what they are doing)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:12 pm 

newsflashkid wrote:
I see Sparks mentions a burglar system for a few hundred bucks. That's the price for suckers, my friends. How about the monthly charges of around 34 bucks. Now some of these alarms go into the police station and others go to the individual alarm companies around the world. Yes around the world is correct. Alarm companies install your alarm for that 200 bucks and in turn, have a monitoring company do the monitoring. This is all done by using 800 numbers. If the police are answerinhg the alarms on their alarm board, how much of the monthly fee goes to the city, if any? Some of these alarm monitoring companies are overseas and the original alarm installers in some cases, only pays around 2 bucks a month for the monitoring services. So if your alarm goes off and the alarm monitoring company is even in the states, look at the time to make that connection. So if some out there is thinking about an alarm that will be monitored, make sure they have their own monitoring station. Plus be careful of that monthly charge. Now Sparks, you mention this few bucks to have it installed, I bet one thing at that price, it isn't UNION labor doing the job. Shame on you for promoting scabs. (stay away from electric companies installing systems, they don't know what they are doing)

Hey kid, we get that you are either too stupid or too cheap to have a security system to protect your family and property.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:18 pm 

sparks wrote:
Hey kid, we get that you are either too stupid or too cheap to have a security system to protect your family and property.

Some people are smart enough to move away from places in which security systems are de rigueur. Others are dumb and cheap enough to put their families at risk for a few dollars so they don't have to pay to send their kid to college.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 am 

sparks wrote:

Where I live we don't have this problem. We don't have gang graffiti sprayed all over peoples private property and we don't have people shooting up restaurant patrons over petty squabbles. Heck, we rate them by the quality and service they provide not sign petitions to drive them out of business.

Why do things like that happen where you live sparks?

Where I live, we try to PREVENT this BEFORE it happens and you label us racists and bigots.for doing so.

But when you circulate a petition to kick the VERY SAME PEOPLE OUT of YOUR town it's called ''Neighborhood Watch'' and you demand your right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness..

Sounds like YOU are a hypocrite.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:19 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
Where I live we don't have this problem. We don't have gang graffiti sprayed all over peoples private property and we don't have people shooting up restaurant patrons over petty squabbles. Heck, we rate them by the quality and service they provide not sign petitions to drive them out of business.

Why do things like that happen where you live sparks?

Where I live, we try to PREVENT this BEFORE it happens and you label us racists and bigots.for doing so.

But when you circulate a petition to kick the VERY SAME PEOPLE OUT of YOUR town it's called ''Neighborhood Watch'' and you demand your right to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness..

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm 

As I said, I've lived in my home for 32 years and never had a break in. Why should I let these thugs chase me out of my home? I am having an alarm installed by the same people who installed our business alarm. And please don't tell me that these break in's don't happen in "nice" neighborhoods. My daughter lives in Munster and had to have an alarm installed a few years ago because her house was broken into!! :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm 

Oh, and the barricades certainly didn't help or hinder these people!!