Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TEAM HAMMOND ROBOTICS WENDY'S NIGHT FUNDRAISER
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:52 pm 

TEAM HAMMOND ROBOTICS WENDY'S NIGHT FUNDRAISER

For quite a while now Gavit has been producing some State and National Championship Teams and Individuals in Robotics. Recently they have lost a major sponsor and now are trying to raise funds to continue. If you could buy a hamburger and send help send them to State, that would be great. Thanks so much!

Please show your support for the kids by stopping by Wendy's on Friday, November 9 at 5:00pm at INDIANAPOLIS BLVD AND 169TH (BY WALMART)

All of the Hammond High Schools need help with their Robotics Teams.

When the government fears the People, that is Liberty.
When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."
~ Thomas Jefferson
HOW TO FIX 2011 - REPEAT 1776

Post subject: Re: TEAM HAMMOND ROBOTICS WENDY'S NIGHT FUNDRAISER
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:12 am 

Martha, it is not Gavit's Robotic Team, it is Team Hammond Robotics. The team is represented by members from all 4 Hammond public high schools. There is only one robotic team in the city.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:24 am 

I posted this on my facebook. :) It's a shame that they had to lose a sponsor due to the antiscrapping law.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:46 am 

I didn't know they moved WENDY'S. The last time I saw it, they were on 165th near Walmart.
Just trying to get it straight.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:00 pm 

It's in the same place. It was a typo.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:08 pm 

I am new to Hammond Robotics.
My granddaughter is on it this year.
I have 2 grandsons on the Lego teams.
The post I put on here came from someone else. I just took their name off of it.
Sorry.

...............................................................................................................................

board monkey wrote:
Martha, it is not Gavit's Robotic Team, it is Team Hammond Robotics. The team is represented by members from all 4 Hammond public high schools. There is only one robotic team in the city.

When the government fears the People, that is Liberty.
When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."
~ Thomas Jefferson
HOW TO FIX 2011 - REPEAT 1776

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:26 am 

Why is a fundraiser even necessary? Not very long ago, weren't there throngs of teachers, firemen, municipal employees, and union types clogging up Indianapolis streets and screaming for higher taxes? Aren't there a healthy number of LC residents who are begging for a county income tax? Where are they now? Couldn't each one of them cut a small check for this supposedly worthy cause?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:18 pm 

LaughingAtLakeCo wrote:
Why is a fundraiser even necessary? Not very long ago, weren't there throngs of teachers, firemen, municipal employees, and union types clogging up Indianapolis streets and screaming for higher taxes? Aren't there a healthy number of LC residents who are begging for a county income tax? Where are they now? Couldn't each one of them cut a small check for this supposedly worthy cause?

They need a fundraisor because the Hammond City Council, at the height of their STUPIDITY, 5-3 vote, voted to ban scrapping, therefore putting the sponsor, who had a scrap business, out of business.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:32 pm 

I understand that the program lost a major sponsor, and from what I gather, the sponsor was a rarity in Hammond/Gary/East Chicago/Whiting. He staked his own money. This guy was no Sparks Hein, who takes a $30,000 College Bound bribe from the City of Hammond and then throws a couple hundred dollars at a handful of charities, nor was he a Tom Philpot, who was so concerned about the welfare of his employees that he illegally took taxpayer money to give them bonuses--after reserving the largest portion for himself.

What I can't understand is this: where are the thousands of teachers, firemen, municipal employees, and union goons that descended upon Indianapolis to plead for higher taxes? Where are the LC residents who are begging for a county income tax or those that can't sleep at night because their property taxes are so low? These people obviously have money to burn, so where do they go when an opportunity like this presents itself? I don't know how much it costs to run that robotics program, but certainly these tax-hungery citizens, at least the ones that live in Hammond, can see their way to sending $10, $20, $100, or $1,000 to whomever runs the robotics team. What gives?