Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond schools' superintendent crashes into playhouse
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 pm 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... dec05.html

HAMMOND | Hammond's school superintendent ran off the road in a district vehicle Saturday near a city doughnut shop, striking a brick wall, a garage and ultimately plowing into a wooden playhouse in the yard of a residence, police said.

A Hammond Police Department report obtained by The Times on Tuesday states School City of Hammond Superintendent Walter Watkins, 66, drove a 2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee northwest through the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot at the intersection of Calumet Avenue and 173rd about 11 a.m. Saturday.

The vehicle then went over a curb, crossed 173rd Street, struck a brick wall near the Walgreens parking lot, hit a chain-link fence and storage building behind Terry's Aquarium and then struck a wooden playhouse and tree in the backyard of a home in the 7200 block of Jefferson Avenue, police said.

Watkins, who confirmed being involved in the accident Tuesday, said he was lucky to have survived.

“I don't know what to say other than the fact it was an accident,” Watkins said.

He said the vehicle is likely beyond repair, and he's not driving another district vehicle at this time. The accident caused up to $10,000 in damage, the police report states.

Watkins received a ticket for unreasonable speed, said Lt. Richard Hoyda said, Hammond police spokesman.

A witness observed the driver squealing the vehicle's tires and speeding up rapidly from the parking lot of the Dunkin' Donuts across 173rd Street, according to the police report.

The responding officer said Watkins appeared in normal health. No blood alcohol breath test was administered, according to the police report.

Hammond School Board President Deborah White could not be reached for comment Tuesday.
----
Must be nice to not have to see if you are drunk or not. An accident like that, the first thing the police should be doing is getting a blood draw and breath test, but I forget, its Lake County, land of the corrupt

Post subject: Re: Hammond schools' superintendent crashes into playhouse
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:12 pm 

No breathalizer??? RIDICULOUS ! :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:39 am 

I think he has a big problem if he is drunk at 11 a.m. in the morning. It doesn't seem likely.

Maybe it is time to take his sch car away. Sometimes older drivers have bad reflexes. I know cause my mom had a crazy accident where she jumped a curb and accelerated instead of breaking.. Luckily in both cases no one was hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:33 pm 

busymom2 wrote:
I think he has a big problem if he is drunk at 11 a.m. in the morning. It doesn't seem likely.

Maybe it is time to take his sch car away. Sometimes older drivers have bad reflexes. I know cause my mom had a crazy accident where she jumped a curb and accelerated instead of breaking.. Luckily in both cases no one was hurt.

The car is totaled. I would give Watkins a 3 wheel bike for his taxpayer provided transportation ! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:55 pm 

I still cannot believe no breathalyzer was done. I wonder if it was me, would I have not gotten that test done?

I wouldnt give this guy a big wheel as a perk. Let him wreck his own vehicles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:02 pm 

Tiger1 wrote:

Really? When Higgs crashed into the tavern on Calumet Ave, you didn't question the PD's decision not to administer a breathalyzer to him. In fact, you defended him, claiming it was a medical condition.
The Clueless One wrote:
Councilman Higgs doesn't drink, and he does have medical problems. I hope he is OK. I think he is a very good rep for the people here in the 3rd district. When people here have a problem, he will help them, or direct them to someone who will help them.

It's clear that your attacks on Watkins are political in nature. You are one of those self righteous Christians who have no compassion for people you disagree with.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:05 am 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

Really? When Higgs crashed into the tavern on Calumet Ave, you didn't question the PD's decision not to administer a breathalyzer to him. In fact, you defended him, claiming it was a medical condition.
The Clueless One wrote:
Councilman Higgs doesn't drink, and he does have medical problems. I hope he is OK. I think he is a very good rep for the people here in the 3rd district. When people here have a problem, he will help them, or direct them to someone who will help them.

It's clear that your attacks on Watkins are political in nature. You are one of those self righteous Christians who have no compassion for people you disagree with.

Councilman Higgs is a known diabetic. What is Watkins excuse??? I have no political agenda, unlike you, sparkless. I could care less about a persons party affiliation, or lack of. If they are doing a lousy job, they need to be called on the carpet.
BTW, sparkless, you are the true example of a hypocrit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:17 pm 

Tiger1 wrote:
sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

The Clueless One wrote:

Councilman Higgs is a known diabetic. What is Watkins excuse??? I have no political agenda, unlike you, sparkless. I could care less about a persons party affiliation, or lack of. If they are doing a lousy job, they need to be called on the carpet.
BTW, sparkless, you are the true example of a hypocrit.

You absolutely have an agenda. You expressed no concern for Dr. Watkins health or well being in your posts about his accident. You are about as compassionate as a rattlesnake

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:40 am 

BTW, sparkless, you are the true example of a hypocrit.[/quote]
You absolutely have an agenda. You expressed no concern for Dr. Watkins health or well being in your posts about his accident. You are about as compassionate as a rattlesnake[/quote]

Watkins didn't have a scratch on him at last mondays meeting. That was 2 days after the accident.
You hypocrit, saying something about compassion. You are the coldest butt kissing pos I have ever encountered.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:50 am 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

The Clueless One wrote:

And like Tiger has stated, it turned out to be a medical condition that caused it. Notice how there has been no follow up to this, and the Times has been ignoring requests for a follow up, but thats not a surprise at all, since they still refuse to see if Nancy Adams ever paid DLZ for her illegal junkets on their dime.

Its funny, I was recently in an accident where I got rear ended at a red light, and when the police arrived, the first thing they asked was if everyone was ok, then pulled out the breathalyzer and had BOTH DRIVERS blow into it. Neither one of us had alcohol that morning and it was simply an accident(the other driver was a victim of glare from the rising sun), but the police made sure right away that it was not anything else. Why is it that some people get checked for being drunk, yet others do not, regardless of time of day?

Sorry, but this guy should have been checked out, especially since it wasn't his own personal vehicle involved. Anytime a taxpayer vehicle is involved in an accident, breathalyzers and field sobriety tests should be done to the driver of said vehicle.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:44 am 

mike3775 wrote:
sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

The Clueless One wrote:

And like Tiger has stated, it turned out to be a medical condition that caused it. Notice how there has been no follow up to this, and the Times has been ignoring requests for a follow up, but thats not a surprise at all, since they still refuse to see if Nancy Adams ever paid DLZ for her illegal junkets on their dime.

Its funny, I was recently in an accident where I got rear ended at a red light, and when the police arrived, the first thing they asked was if everyone was ok, then pulled out the breathalyzer and had BOTH DRIVERS blow into it. Neither one of us had alcohol that morning and it was simply an accident(the other driver was a victim of glare from the rising sun), but the police made sure right away that it was not anything else. Why is it that some people get checked for being drunk, yet others do not, regardless of time of day?

Sorry, but this guy should have been checked out, especially since it wasn't his own personal vehicle involved. Anytime a taxpayer vehicle is involved in an accident, breathalyzers and field sobriety tests should be done to the driver of said vehicle.

EXACTLY !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:43 am 

any new info on this or do we have to cook him up on WJOB for details? Bet JED wouldn't allow it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:00 pm 

mike3775 wrote:

And if they refuse, then their take home vehicle should be revoked.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?