Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HFD discrimination?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:13 am 

I heard the chief on WDEM this morning talking about the hiring process at the HFD. He said they look at possible future medical costs when making hiring decisions. Is that discrimination?

Post subject: Re: HFD discrimination?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:57 am 

Anyone know if the number of Black Hammond Firemen is representative of Blacks as a percentage of Hammond's population?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:19 pm 

No, it isn't. From what I've been told by my former brother-in-law (who's a current Hammond FF/paramedic), they lessen the requirements for black candidates so they have more black fire fighters. I don't know if this is true or not since my source is a racist d***** but I do wonder. Hammond doesn't adhere to certain state standards so they have more latitude in areas that other depts. don't.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:15 am 

For whatever reason there is a lack of minorities applying for police and FD.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:10 am 

Gasp! You almost sound like a Republican! Build a bigger tent! Get out there and recruit them. If an illiterate misfit like the Oracle can be a supervisor in a city department and a lowlife like The Jailman's wife can flit from municipal office to municipal office, you can certainly find some sort of employment in the fire department for Blacks and Latinos--unless they really aren't wanted there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 am 

The job is open to anyone who wants to apply. Pass the tests including the agility test and wait for them to hire. Why should you have to recruit someone to be a fireman or police officer? Are you suggesting affirmative action?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:13 pm 

Sorry, not buying your line of BS. The job may be open to everyone who applies, but that doesn't mean they will get a serious look. I just can't believe that during tough economic times when cretins like The Oracle and Mrs. Jailman seem to have their pick of municipal jobs that a more qualified Black or Latino didn't apply for one or all of their jobs--then again, maybe the Black guy or the Latino guy never got word of those positions. Further, Hammond residents with last names like Woerple or Hamm don't seem to have any trouble finding city employment but we're supposed to believe that there are no interested minority applicants for these jobs? Perhaps there is an unspoken but omnipresent undercurrent of racism in the Hammond Fire Department? All speculation, of course....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:41 pm 

Of course. Tighten up your tin hat!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 am 

The tinfoil hat helps protect me from absentee landlords flying around in black helicopters.