Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Thursdays Storm
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:27 am 

I got to give credit where credit is due. The Hammond Street Department and other Hammond employees really worked hard to clear up the streets and assist in other area's after the storm on thursday. Seeing the scope of the damage, the workers did an outstanding job.
FYI, my neighborhood is where the storm started. Myself, and several of the neighbors, got the rotating wall cloud on video. It may have not touched down all the way, but it sure ripped things up. We had no damage to our house, or significant damage to my daughters house across the alley besides some shingles blowing off, but several houses in my neighborhood had trees topple on them.We still have snapped light poles and a lot of trees down that have not been cleared up as yet across from my daughters house, but things are definately improving.We got our power back on late morning yesterday, and didn't lose too much food. We packed what we could in our coolers, and tossed the rest.
Overall, I would say we got lucky over here. Mondays storm snapped off one of the spires of our tulip tree in the backyard, and took off some branches of our trees in front. Thursdays storm made mondays storm look like a summer breeze in comparison.Seeing the damage across Hammond, we are lucky no one got seriously injured or killed.

Post subject: Re: Thursdays Storm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 am 

Good for you. I drove south down Columbia on my way to Home Depot and later toured along Highland Ave to get a look at the park. That musta been very nasty there. I could still sense the natural violence that took place. Bad news.

Post subject: Re: Thursdays Storm
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:13 am 

Neometric wrote:
Good for you. I drove south down Columbia on my way to Home Depot and later toured along Highland Ave to get a look at the park. That musta been very nasty there. I could still sense the natural violence that took place. Bad news.

The city crews still have a lot of work to do. There are still trees down all over, that need to be cut up and picked up. At least all the trees have been removed from the top of the houses, and all of the alleys and streets are clear enough to pass by.