Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Krieg Calls for Feds to Investigate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:12 pm 

"In the wake of recent FBI activity in Lake Station, political activist and former county surveyor candidate Eric Krieg planned to call on the Lake County Board of Elections to refer Mayor Thomas McDermott’s campaign finance reports to the office of United States Attorney David Capp. Krieg will have to wait until the Board meets in December to present his allegations as this month’s meeting was cancelled. In a statement provided to the press prior to the planned meeting, Krieg compared McDermott’s payments to his wife with the recent conviction of Former Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. He outlines several allegations of impropriety in the reports including:

-Payments to Kelly Consulting, Inc. of over $300,000. The payments ranging from $3,000-$4,000 per month span a period of over ten years. Krieg alleges that Kelly Consulting, Inc. is owned by Marissa McDermott and that Indiana law requires a written contract on file with the election board in order to pay family members for campaign services;

-a one time consulting fee paid to David Woerpel. This payment is alleged to have been in the amount of $6,000 and paid around the time that Woerpel was charged with a crime in Lake Superior Court;

-A single payment of rent for McDermott for Mayor Headquarters in the amount of $1,000. Krieg alleges that free rent should be reported as an in-kind donation on the finance report.

Krieg explained that the contributions to Kelly Consulting, Inc continue in non-election years. The address for Kelly Consulting is listed as 7134 Knickerbocker, Hammond, IN 46323. Documentation was provided from the office of the Indiana Secretary of State showing that Marissa McDermott is listed as President of Kelly Consulting, Inc. Total payments to Kelly Consulting from the McDermott campaign for the years 2005 to present totalled just over $330,000.

The lack of payment to Kaplan controlled Pyramid Development may be the most damaging allegation. As reported previously, Pyramid Development is owned by McDermott friend and contributor Greg “Krazy” Kaplan. Kaplan later sold the building to the Purdue University Foundation for a reported $1M. Politically connected WJOB radio has announced that they will move into the building sometime next year. So far, they are the only announced tenant. While not illegal on its face, the entire transaction certainly seems to require some explanation. To date, we have heard none."

You can see Mayor McDermott’s 2011 campaign report here: http://lwvcalumet.org/files/cfb.mcdermo ... al_rpt.pdf

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, it expects what never was and never will be ... The People cannot be safe without information. When the press is free, and every man is able to read, all is safe. - Thomas Jefferson

Post subject: Re: Krieg Calls for Feds to Investigate
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:03 pm 

celtic1950 wrote:
"In the wake of recent FBI activity in Lake Station, political activist and former county surveyor candidate Eric Krieg planned to call on the Lake County Board of Elections to refer Mayor Thomas McDermott’s campaign finance reports to the office of United States Attorney David Capp. Krieg will have to wait until the Board meets in December to present his allegations as this month’s meeting was cancelled. In a statement provided to the press prior to the planned meeting, Krieg compared McDermott’s payments to his wife with the recent conviction of Former Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr. He outlines several allegations of impropriety in the reports including:

-Payments to Kelly Consulting, Inc. of over $300,000. The payments ranging from $3,000-$4,000 per month span a period of over ten years. Krieg alleges that Kelly Consulting, Inc. is owned by Marissa McDermott and that Indiana law requires a written contract on file with the election board in order to pay family members for campaign services;

-a one time consulting fee paid to David Woerpel. This payment is alleged to have been in the amount of $6,000 and paid around the time that Woerpel was charged with a crime in Lake Superior Court;

-A single payment of rent for McDermott for Mayor Headquarters in the amount of $1,000. Krieg alleges that free rent should be reported as an in-kind donation on the finance report.

Krieg explained that the contributions to Kelly Consulting, Inc continue in non-election years. The address for Kelly Consulting is listed as 7134 Knickerbocker, Hammond, IN 46323. Documentation was provided from the office of the Indiana Secretary of State showing that Marissa McDermott is listed as President of Kelly Consulting, Inc. Total payments to Kelly Consulting from the McDermott campaign for the years 2005 to present totalled just over $330,000.

The lack of payment to Kaplan controlled Pyramid Development may be the most damaging allegation. As reported previously, Pyramid Development is owned by McDermott friend and contributor Greg “Krazy” Kaplan. Kaplan later sold the building to the Purdue University Foundation for a reported $1M. Politically connected WJOB radio has announced that they will move into the building sometime next year. So far, they are the only announced tenant. While not illegal on its face, the entire transaction certainly seems to require some explanation. To date, we have heard none."

You can see Mayor McDermott’s 2011 campaign report here: http://lwvcalumet.org/files/cfb.mcdermo ... al_rpt.pdf

WOW !!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:04 pm 

http://www.northwestindiana.com/discussionforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9226&start=135&sid=a261e1b1c933f34a6e22c9454eca0074

at the end of the post, you can find a copy of Craig's written complaint.

I think Tom and company very well may have some problems.... ala jessie jackson jr.

Sweet!

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:15 pm 

RICH JAMES: Krieg is Lake GOP's unofficial mud-thrower
[url]
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/opinion/co ... 14b5f.html[/url]

James must have a bout of senility, or a case of not being able to read. In typical style media presents when they want to gloss over something, they leave important elements out of the article.

No mention what so ever of the $6,000 cash payment to the Woerpel, just before da family had their hearing. Now tell me Jr didn't have a heads up on this? The tell? I hear Tom scratches his nose when he has a winning hand playing poker. Reflex action I guess. The tell here with the Wipple payment? NO ONE INIDIVIDUAL BEFORE OR AFTER OTHER THAN THE MRS HAS GOTTEN MORE MONE, EVEN THE PRIVATE EYE TOM HIRED ONLY GOT $2K. As this is beginning to smell, lets hope Tom is the stand up guy and takes the heat for the family.

The other bit, I looked at Jr's 2011 campaign reports, ... Kreig appears to be right on target, no other payment made to rent the building.

I wonder if Hammond's facade program was in lieu of rent? Or was it Tom put the deal together for the quick sale between purdue and the private party, was it Prymarid? Or was it the $3,000,000 tom fessed up for repairs?

But in either of the above case, James never ever mentioned the more serious issues.

Typical of the Times.

BTW, I THINK FREETIME IS LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:25 pm 

Well, now that the Lake County Election Board has voted to dismiss Krieg's charge, it's only right that the matter goes straight to the Feds. Kevin Smith, close ally to McDermott, appointed Joe Allegretti as his proxy! Joe and Senior go way back. Doesn't Joe still work for the Hammond sanitary district? Someone has been paid more than 300 grand to fill out forms. Someone paid a grand rent for a million dollar property. The board says "Move along. Nothing to be seen here."? Nothing but the fix.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:51 pm 

Krieg has a serious credibility problem. But, since that doesnt mean too much to fed prosecutors, it is a good bet Krieg has already supplied this info. So why hasnt Benson and company moved on it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 pm 

Neometric wrote:
Krieg has a serious credibility problem. But, since that doesnt mean too much to fed prosecutors, it is a good bet Krieg has already supplied this info. So why hasnt Benson and company moved on it?

Neo,

This is the very same election board who voted George Janiec off the ballot when he was running for Mayor against Thomas McDermott Jr. If you remember correctly, the Indiana State Supreme Court, convened, reversing their action and remanded the case remain open until they received a report re instating Janiec back on the ballot, all in 3 days. The speed at which the SSC acted was break neck speed I am sure you would agree, the speed at which they acted was unprecedented, primarily due to the corrupt actions by this very same Lake County Election Board. It reflects the very same Election Board who then, was packed with Tom's people then, as it is now, packed with McDermott's people ruling in this case.

So, Neo, I dont think your totally correct here. I heard from a 3rd party video of the Election Board Fiasco is coming.

From what I heard, McDermott has some substantial problems with his campaign spending and da rent. Once the video is released, it might shed a different light on this matter.

It is going to take an in depth forensic audit to provide a substantive answer on Tom's friend Woerpel receiving $6,000 in cash. I heard rumor a letter was being being drafted to the US Postmaster Inspector General on the subject. The Hatch Act, and what many believe to be associated corruption, very well may undo Mr. Woerpel. Maybe this is why da mailman has been so quite as of lately. It very well may move Mr. Woerpel into retirement.

And knowing my good dear friend Tom, as I do, he is a thief and I believe his finger prints are all over the $6,000. The problem is will he be a stand up guy or is he going to play dumb and have the Mrs. take the fall? How much of a role does she have cutting the checks? 8)

As to the payments to Kelly Consulting..... well, from what I heard, Mr. Mayor very well may have some explaining to do to someone else. Let's listen to Tom's Friday AM show and hope this dip s*** pounds on his chest pissing off some of those people who he knows listen to his show.

As to the single $1,000 payment to Kaplan for rent, well, Tom may have gotten very, very, very sloppy with his money. I was told McDermott's appointments voted straight party line. They should have recused themselves.

Wait for da video...

Tommie has got some problems...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:39 pm 

One of the votes that was cast to reject any questioning into Junior's campaign spending was by a proxy held by Joseph Allegretti. I wrote earlier that Tom Sr. and Joe go way back. Not only do they go way back, but they can wave back to one another without leaving home. See, both Tom and Joe own multi-million dollar homes across the street from one another, a street which they share with Dean White, a Forbes 400 lister. Remarkable that no scarring is evident from where Tom and Joe were surgically separated after being joined at the hip for so long. I know how White made his fortune and I have an idea how Joe did, but I can't for the life of me figure what good fortune fell on Sr. to chum with these swells.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:13 am 

I heard, some people, 3rd party, I was told, your posts are so full of nothing that if wasn't for there comical relief they wouldn't be worth reading. You have been spouting the same crap since before Oscar got whooped and you still have nothing. Nothing zilch nada bupkis. Merry Christmas you...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:29 am 

xmpt wrote:
I heard, some people, 3rd party, I was told, your posts are so full of nothing that if wasn't for there comical relief they wouldn't be worth reading. You have been spouting the same crap since before Oscar got whooped and you still have nothing. Nothing zilch nada bupkis. Merry Christmas you...

Its undeniable councilman, the very same Election Board, including the majority appointed by Thomas McDermott Jr, illegally tossed Janiec off the 2011 ballot. The very same election board was directed by the State Supreme Court to reinstate Janiec. The court kept the case open until their directives were carried out. So how much credibility do they have.... using your works nothing zilch nada bupkis!

Fact. Aint Crap pal, it is like a city councilman who the majority of people in Hammond, Lake County believe stole $32,000 to purchase dumpsters in their district, just to put their campaign sign on them.

Fact. Just because you posted here, says Tom's a thief and he has to use you, and sparks to defend him.
Excuse me, to be fair to Tom I shouldn't paint Tom with one broad stroke like the above, it really should read I believe he is a thief and I think there are a great number of other people, not only in Lake County, but across the state who believe the same thing.
:smt002

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:17 am 

So using that logic you are the front man for the "Feds" posting on here to get us all indicted for some trumped up B.S. Problem is in all the years you have been posting for the feds you still have nothing, zilch, nada, bupkis a big fat zero and now your latest hero struck out too. It must suck top be you Chuck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:17 am 

xmpt wrote:
So using that logic you are the front man for the "Feds" posting on here to get us all indicted for some trumped up B.S. Problem is in all the years you have been posting for the feds you still have nothing, zilch, nada, bupkis a big fat zero and now your latest hero struck out too. It must suck top be you Chuck.

Who is the "us" you speak of? Are you yet another public figure abusing the public trust? Your spelling errors have all the signs of a post being composed on a smart phone.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:27 pm 

It was expected that the Dems on the election board would vote for McDermott. But how do you explain the Republican votes? Bill Fine's position was as impotent as his defense of Janiec. Keep in mind, the flaw in the election board's case against Janiec was exposed on WJOB talk radio BEFORE the high court ruled. Indeed, it hastened the court's review.

As for Krieg, he seems far too rabid to take serious. McDermott's has fully anticipated Krieg's animus and allegations. Child's play, really, for team Mac. As to the feds, you guys have been saying this for years now, in complete denial of the swiftness with which the feds moved on Pabey, Philpot, Van Til etc.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:09 pm 

Neometric wrote:
It was expected that the Dems on the election board would vote for McDermott. But how do you explain the Republican votes? Bill Fine's position was as impotent as his defense of Janiec. Keep in mind, the flaw in the election board's case against Janiec was exposed on WJOB talk radio BEFORE the high court ruled. Indeed, it hastened the court's review.

As for Krieg, he seems far too rabid to take serious. McDermott's has fully anticipated Krieg's animus and allegations. Child's play, really, for team Mac. As to the feds, you guys have been saying this for years now, in complete denial of the swiftness with which the feds moved on Pabey, Philpot, Van Til etc.

After viewing some of the online video of the hearings, Krieg had neither the skill or political weight needed to seek the Election Board to investigate McDermott and his campaign financing issues. Some of McDermott's actions or lack of them :smt003 are substantial and Krieg obviouslly didn't understand the process, hell neither did I, and neither did one of Jr's atty's Westmoreland (sp). Hell me made s*** up as he went along and did the very same thing Krieg did, make statement of fact with out supporting documents, but this short coming was disregarded by the board.

The same board went after Janiec, Markovich and Penski (sp?), simply used as a tool by McDermott. Half of the board should have recused themselves, either as working for McDermott doing legal issues. As to the lone Republican vote, what can you expect from a blond, a bottle blond at that.

Exposed on WJOB, please, your kidding me. What hastened the Supreme Court's review was the blatant disregard of the law by the Election Board's toxic illegal actions barring Janiec.

As to the feds, all you can do is provide them with data and conversations with additional info. They walk and talk in their own world, you should know that as well.

Fact, someone I know was involved in a case back in 2008 a horrendous case, 40 plus people involved. The Feds just arrested the final 3 characters last month. Go figure.

As to Fed involvement. HUD has been in town at least four times, warning tom, how hud funds were lost because of pass thru funds laundered how the money was used. Then the made a formal written report, establishing sanctions, barring participation. The last State Audit had more of the same, their next step is criminal investigation. HUD has their own assigned FBI unit.

We know the while collar crime guys were in town helping Salinas and Johnson. They also talked with JR twice and another time because of something he said on the radio. Now why would they be listening to a law abiding, two bit politician like jr and then call him in just because of something he said on the radio, unless they were wanting to give him an all expense paid vaaaaaaacation?

Then we have Christine Cid's comments of Tom offering a job to Cid for a vote. Sure Tom would never do that, really. Some believe Cid may have some special motivation to share information with the feds. Some one told me to pull the records from the end of the first day of Philpot's trial.

Now as to the feds activity, since 2010, I think they have been very busy, but they missed the "us" XMPT referred to in one of his post.

Their recent investigation in Lake Station, with a new mayor, hell Hammond has been pulling the same s***, contractors dont want to bid in town, as favored contractors, place a low ball bid, and then someone in Tom's office give them a 25% increase in project cost. Its because these boys pay to play. A legitimate contractor gives an honest bid, does the same thing and he's told to eat it. People don't want to do business in Hammond. Difference, Tom has been mayor for 11 years, no where else to point other than to Tom or Phill, not that Phill, the other Phill. I don't think at his age he wants to spend time away from his lovely wife. What ever happened to that restaurant he and the coffee man was to open?

As to contractors loving Hammond, Tom had to reportedly pay up front for a relative of a dear very, very, very close friend of tom's to build two $200,000 homes in Hammond. WTF

Neo, they got 20 people in the last five years....... I think they have been plenty busy.

Quote:
73. Ann Marie Karras , age 65 of Gary, guilty in April 2009 of two fraud counts for taking checks from a federal contract between 2000 and 2002. (Seven Years Later ) Karras was serving as Calumet Township as the Deputy of Finance.

Co-conspirators Calumet Township Trustee, Dozier T. Allen, Jr., and three of his senior employees at the trustee’s office, Wanda Joshua, and Albert Young, Jr. were charged and found guilty of mail fraud. http://www.justice.gov/usao/inn/press_release/documents/2007/September_07/DAllen_9.20-indicted.htm

74. Dozier Allen, Calumet Township Trustee, convicted with skimming money from a federal grant to Calumet Township, found guilty.

75. Albert Young Jr., who signed a plea agreement and admitted guilt, to two years on probation, convicted with skimming money from a federal grant to Calumet Township. http://www.justice.gov/usao/inn/press_release/documents/2007/September_07/DAllen_9.20-indicted.htm

76. Morris Carter, County Recorder took a $1,000 bribe. http://articles.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010-08-25/news/28516846_1_schererville-town-judge-east-chicago-city-council-robert-pastrick

77. Jerry Haymon has plead guilty, per court records, a year after their indictment on on charges of wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.

The defendants (Drago-Hunter, Jerry Haymon, Sheila Chandler and Phillip Rucker) were indicted on charges of wire fraud and aggravated identity theft accused of funneling the more than $300,000 to themselves between October 2007 and November 2008 by inflating the purchase prices of four Gary properties, faking buyers' financial security, forging loan documents and filing fake mechanic's liens against three of the four properties for work that never was done, federal records state.http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/former-gary-city-official-nearing-plea-deal-in-federal-fraud/article_8002b627-2f2e-5032-8cfa-c8148cd40e08.html

78. Jacquelyn Drago-Hunter, Gary HUD Official, October 6, 2011 was suspended for her October 2010 federal indictment for her suspected involvement in an alleged real estate fraud scheme. Drago-Hunter is responsible for administering millions of dollars of federal money to dozens of social service agencies. The former director of community development for the city of Gary admitted Friday morning (01/13/2011) in federal court to working with a local businessman in a mortgage fraud scheme that took in almost $200,000. Jacquelyn Drago-Hunter plead guilty to one count of wire fraud.http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/9993779-418/former-gary-official-pleads-guilty-to-mortgage-scheme.html

HUD spokesman Jerry Brown said. “Gary has to help itself by cleaning up its act. It’s going to take that type of commitment in building its track record if the city is going to continue getting federal funds.”
April 19th, 2012 sentenced to spend 15 months in prison in addition to paying restitution of almost $88,000, a federal judge ruled Thursday afternoon.

79. Sheila Chandler has plead guilty, per court records, a year after her indictment on charges of wire fraud and aggravated identity theft. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/former-gary-city-official-nearing-plea-deal-in-federal-fraud/article_8002b627-2f2e-5032-8cfa-c8148cd40e08.html

80. Frederick M. Cuppy, 70, Merrillville’s former town attorney and Peter G. Rogan, 65, formerly of Valparaiso, were charged October 3rd, 2011 in Chicago in connection with their roles in hiding money from federal investigators and a bank, according to the U.S. Attorney’s office in Chicago. Cuppy was charged with one count of conspiracy to obstruct justice, three counts of perjury and three counts of obstruction of justice. http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/8018706-418/former-merrillville-attorney-indicted-by-feds.html
Cuppy is accused of hiding funds so that Rogan could avoid paying $188 million in judgment awarded against him in 2006.

81. Marilyn Krusas, 69, a Gary City Councilwoman since 2000, was charged with one count of tax evasion. Federal authorities allege Krusas failed to file tax returns since 1991. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/feds-nab-nwi-officials-on-tax-fraud-other-charges/article_3fe970a9-3e39-53a9-a23f-56b43e98837a.html

In addition to failing to file returns, officials allege she failed to pay taxes on an inheritance she received in the 2009-2010 tax year. The inheritance was $230,000.Krusas was scheduled for her initial appearance at 12:45 today. Krusas plead guilty March 2013.

82. George Pabey, E. Chicago Mayor, convicted on stealing less than $15,000

83. Jose Camacho, East Chicago city employee conviction along with Pabey.

84. & 85. The former treasurer for East Chicago's public schools will plead guilty to receiving a bribe — a federal offense that could carry a maximum sentence of up to 10 years in prison. Francisco "Frank" Ramirez, 49, of East Chicago, exchanged a school contract with a local construction company for thousands of dollars in free home repairs, according to a plea agreement filed Monday. Ramirez and Geraldo "Jerry" Lozano, 34, of Hobart, were indicted Thursday. The indictment was unsealed Friday. Lozano, who owned Green Tree Builders, is charged with paying a bribe to an agent or local government receiving federal funds, while Ramirez was charged with receiving that bribe. In 2008, East Chicago's schools received more than $10,000 in federal funding. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/east-chicago/former-e-c-school-treasurer-to-plead-guilty-to-accepting/article_a7eff7f7-583a-5f59-a47a-9fa2a4d9a8f8.html#ixzz1p2QVuXvM

Ramirez plead guilty. To receive the most benefit from his plea agreement, Ramirez must provide information that leads to a separate criminal prosecution, Assistant U.S. Attorney Gary Bell said during the hearing. Lozano was convicted and received 21 months in a federal prison.http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/17391282-418/lozano-gets-21-months-for-bribery.html

86. Thomas Philpot, has held several county offices for 21 years, and currently the Lake County Coroner, was convicted on 08/24/12 after a 5 day trial. Philpot received a 18 month sentence. Some believe Philpot may have shared information with authorities in exchange for such a short sentence. Philpot was convicted of pocketed more than $24,000 from Indiana's federally funded child support incentive funds. He controlled the funds between 2004 and 2009 while serving as Lake County clerk. The fund were intended, as bonuses for line staff. Philpot and his two administrative assistants apparently pocketed the vast majority of these funds over the years Philpot held the County Clerk's Office. Philpot's education as a licensed attorney and medical doctor/podiatrist, appeared to work against him at trial.

The law forbids elected officials from giving themselves such bonuses without the approval of the seven-member fiscal body called the County Council.

The conviction strips Philpot from office as county coroner and all but ends his public career, which includes election as county coroner in 1992, 1996 and 2008; election as county clerk in 2002 and 2006; and his unsuccessful campaigns for Hammond mayor in 1995 and 1999, and for sheriff in 2010.

Philpot turned himself in to serve his reduced sentence of 18 months on Tuesday, March 19th, 2013. Was someone talking and someone else listening? http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/philpot-guilty-on-all-five-counts/article_2ab1a901-230b-5114-8ebe-91b84326c1f3.html

87. Virlissa Crenshaw, 42, of East Chicago, is charged with theft (September 2011) from local government, with another count of filing a false tax return for 2009. Sentence to be determined. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/feds-nab-nwi-officials-on-tax-fraud-other-charges/article_3fe970a9-3e39-53a9-a23f-56b43e98837a.html

Crenshaw was a clerk with the Merrillville Town Court at the time of the offenses. She has already signed a plea agreement filed today (October 2012) admitting her guilt to stealing cash bonds. The loss to the Town of Merrillville was $176,763 and the tax loss to the federal government was $55,203.

88. The FBI raided George Van Till's Office in 2012 confiscating computer records. Mr. VanTil is the Lake County Surveyor. A Grand Jury has been chaired investigating some matter in his office. The specific focus of the grand jury is unknown.

The raid resulted in a criminal indictment (May 17th, 2013), two counts of obstruction of justice and six federal felony counts of wire fraud. A "tip" lead the authorities to the investigation. It's alleged VanTill hatched the plot between November '07 and December '12. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/hammond/feds-van-til-indicted-for-using-public-employees-resources-for/article_00f8f717-4dd4-5856-8869-eebc1c121d80.html

On August 27th, 2013, The Northwest Indiana Gazette has confirmed with several reliable sources that George Van Til will plead guilty and will serve time in prison. Van Til was charged with 6 counts of wire fraud and 2 counts of obstruction of justice in May of this year. Sources close to the investigation tell the Gazette that Scott King has finalized a deal for Van Til to plead guilty to a single count, most likely Obstruction of Justice. http://northwestindianagazette.com/today/2013/08/vantil-to-plead-guilty-serve-time/

Video of the indictment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_SxbMDD2RQ

89 a & 89 b. Alfonso Salinas Hammond 2nd District councilman in Hammond, was charged with receipt of a bribe by an agent of local government who was receiving federal funds.

Federal authorities allege that Salinas steered city tree cutting business to David Johnson, 56, of Munster, owner of Dave’s Tree Service. (Note David Johnson was a benefactor of the East Chicago Sidewalks for vote scandal, his company reportedly did hundreds of thousands of dollars of work in E. Chicago. Some say either McDermott or Cantrell or both brought Johnson into Hammond to continue the patronage tree. Johnson plead guilty and as of this writing his sentencing has been delayed several times. There is speculation he is cooperating with federal authorities).

Salinas is alleged to have steered $300,000 in casino funds that he had at his disposal to Johnson's company for tree cutting and tree removal work. Federal authorities further allege Salinas took a $10,500 kickback for steering the work Johnson’s way. Johnson was charged with payment of a bribe to an agent of local government. (Johnson later plead guilty). Salinas is also charged with four counts of willful failure to file tax returns from 2006 to 2009. Salinas agreed to a plea agreement on two counts April 2013.
http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 8837a.html

Salinas plead guilty in mid May 2013, sentenced to 42 months. Salinas surrender to Federal Authorities in October.

90. Juda Parks, 40, of East Chicago, is charged with two counts of failure to file income tax returns for years 2008 and 2009. Parks, and East Chicago City Councilman since 2008 and an East Chicago police officer, has signed a plea agreement admitting guilt on all charges.

Parks has agreed to cooperate with the federal government on other unspecified cases, according to federal authorities. (interesting statement) http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 8837a.html

91. Manuel Montalvo, 38, of East Chicago, is charged in an indictment with two counts of filing false tax returns for years 2009 and 2010. In an update, not referred to in the following link. Mr. Motalvo plead guilty and received four months probation. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 8837a.html

The indictment alleges that Montalvo, the former director of the East Chicago Public Library, overstated unreimbursed business expenses and medical and dental expenses. Those expenses amounted to $32,000 in medical and dental expenses and $47,000 in employee and business expenses over the two years.

reached a deal with federal prosecutors Friday (August 2nd, 2013), pleading guilty to one of two counts of filing a false federal tax return. Montalvo faces up to three years in prison and a maximum $100,000 fine, according to the plea agreement filed in U.S. District Court in Hammond.

Montalvo pleaded guilty to providing false information on his 2009 federal tax return by claiming $23,282 in unreimbursed business expenses. Specifically, Montalvo claimed business expenses for use of his vehicle, travel, meals, entertainment and other expenses in his position as library director. However, the East Chicago Public Library Board already had reimbursed him for all employee-related expenses. He received 24 months probation.

In addition, Montalvo admits to falsely claiming $17,063 in unreimbursed medical expenses, according to court documents. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/east-chicago/montalvo-pleads-guilty-to-one-count-of-tax-fraud/article_6bbc3132-05d1-55fd-b29d-ab871918ce3d.html

Montalvo, Lake County style has pending federal litigation against East Chicago Mayor Anthony Copeland, claiming he was illegally fired as library director because of his political support for now imprisoned, former Mayor George Pabey. http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake/east-chicago/former-e-c-library-director-sentenced-to-months-probation/article_3176ecaf-a201-5182-85ae-da93c011bc73.html

92. Although not specifically a county employee, Roman Perez of Crown Point and owner of Roman Art, Inc. has plead guilty to tax evasion and making false statements under oath during a bankruptcy proceeding. Perez understated $100,100 of 2007 income, of which the feds report $80,000 of 2007 income came from the Lake County Commissary Fund. Exactly what "Roman Art, Inc." did or does will be posted at a later time.

Perez as part of his plea agreement, agreed to cooperate in an ongoing investigation.

Video of Indictment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qphJKtY041c

93. An unnamed current sitting, elected county official who testified at the Philpot trial, reportedly has a sealed 2012 Grand Jury indictment.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:44 pm 

xmpt wrote:

NO brother, I ain't the front man, not at all. See Councilman, feds like information, they file it, keep it for a rainy day, and one day when you thump your chest a little to hard, like you have in this piece, you might just piss one of them off, then they go to the file, or someone you fucked over picks up a paper and pen and starts to share information, or one day a life long politician gets convicted and begins to tell a story.

And there are a lot of people you've fucked over. But I can see the stress is getting to you Councilman.

And if you really didn't care about what I post, you wouldn't have posted on it in the first place, pal.

Salinas doesn't count. All you can do is provide information. Whether they act on it or not.... well its up to them.

PS. your rental need some paint.