Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Common? Come on!
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:09 am 

sparks wrote:
lubu wrote:
I became aware that the Common concert on Saturday was a 21 and over affair. Must have had something to do with alcohol sales. So I ask, who had the beer concession? On the taxpayer funded radio show on Friday, Tom McDermott told how he visited "The Marsh" the night before. Is it possible "The Marsh" was the concessioneer? Is this how to profit from a money losing concert? Privatize the profits by making the costs public? Taxpayers pay for the entertainment and other expenses, while a Friend of Tom pockets the markup on flat warm swill sold as a refreshment?

What kind of proof do you have to support your claims that A) this concert was a "money loser, and that the vendor at the concert didn't have a contract to pay the city a percentage of his gross sales? Do you spend your whole life babbling about things you have no knowledge of?

If you have a point "A", it helps to have a point "B". I made no claims. I asked questions that you won't honestly answer. So sparks, prove to us the concert wasn't a money loser. Tell us who was the concessioneer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:56 pm 

sparks wrote:
In addition to being a successful rapper, Common has done very well as an actor. He plays a great role in "Hell on Wheels". I think it's great when someone from Chicago does well in show business.

Score one for the Spark. Common does a great job on Hell on Wheels. Still, there are a lot of folks who dont buy into Rap. Itz generational, but it is also an issue of subcultural identification/defiance concerning the status quo. Or so it seems.

Just speculating.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:28 pm 

You mean my boy Lonnie Lynn Jr, a early nineties has been? Record sales of 800,000, a true influence on the American scene and such popularity, he comes to where?

Hammond, the music capital of the world? WTF Who you kiddin?

The concert was a looser from the get go. Speaking of looser, I sure Hammond's Chief Electrician made sure he was there to inspect the wiring.

What happend to Spark's dedication @ the 644 mishap?

Quote:
Common was invited by First Lady Michelle Obama to appear at a poetry reading on May 11, 2011 at the White House.[28] This caused furor with the New Jersey State Police and their union,[29] who disagreed with his lyrical content. The president of the New Jersey State Troopers Fraternal Association voiced concern to the White House. They cite the song "A Song For Assata" about a member of the Black Liberation Army and step-aunt of deceased rapper Tupac Shakur named Assata Shakur, previously known as Joanne Chesimard,[30] who was convicted in 1977 of the first degree murder of New Jersey state trooper Werner Foerster.
Common and his mother, Dr. Mahalia Ann Hines, at a September 13, 2011 signing for his memoir at the Barnes & Noble in Tribeca, Manhattan.

At another poetry reading, Common said, “flyers say ‘free Mumia’ on my freezer,” a reference to Mumia Abu-Jamal, who was controversially convicted of killing Philadelphia Police Officer Daniel Faulkner in 1981. Common stated, "The one thing that shouldn't be questioned is my support for the police officers and troops that protect us every day."

Hmmmm.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:09 am 

Common has projected his charisma into a co-starring status on television.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:14 am 

Neometric wrote:
Common has projected his charisma into a co-starring status on television.

That's great! I hadn't heard of the show until sparks mentioned it, but I have it just below a satellite test signal at the bottom of my watchlist. I again question why the city is in the concert promotion business. Come on sparks, come out of hiding and come out with the numbers on Common. Who made money and who lost? It's like a side business that saddles taxpayers with costs and stuffs the pockets of a pocket of Friends of Tom. Festival of the Lakes has lost money for ten years running. Yet vendors show up every year? Seems vendors are making money while taxpayers are losing it. Why else would the vendors show up? Private parties profit at public expense. Crap deal for even crappier "amenities". How does our Man of the People feel about that?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:48 pm 

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/ ... story.html

First write-up I've seen says "about 800 people paid $50 each for the Common show". I wonder though, how many actually paid and how many were comped.

Someone speaking for the city added... "The $50 tickets were not a factor in the crowd size, Turchany said. “We’re told what prices to set by each act,” Turchany said. Tickets for the Hammond Civic Center’s next show will be $25 each for Vince Neill of Motley Crue at 7 p.m. Saturday, April 12.

The spokesperson added...“It went very well,” said Michelle Turchany, events director for the City of Hammond. “There were no incidents at all.”

Break out the champagne guys! A fight didn't break out all night!

Looks like the money lost was more than the gross take. At least looking from the taxpayers' perspective. No doubt someone made money here though.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:31 pm 

Common agreed, perhaps, to perform in Hammond as means of keeping his throat and voice in shape. For a pro like Common his performance amounted to "scales".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:43 pm 

Sparks? Come out, come out, wherever you are... Now that you've surfaced, tell us how much money taxpayers lost in the Common concert promotion. Tell us who the beer vendor was and the split with the city. Non answers and no answer count as proof of a colossal failure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:00 am 

lubu wrote:
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/25807058-418/story.html

The spokesperson added...“It went very well,” said Michelle Turchany, events director for the City of Hammond. “There were no incidents at all.”

Break out the champagne guys! A fight didn't break out all night!

Looks like the money lost was more than the gross take. At least looking from the taxpayers' perspective. No doubt someone made money here though.

Definitely more peaceful than a recently Democratic Party Xmas celebration @ the Civic Center where a fight broke out among participants.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:37 pm 

Wow. That big a failure, eh? Who's held responsible? Since numbers aren't forthcoming, how about a ballpark? Not another baseball diamond but a ballpark loss figure. Was it more than 50k dollars or less than? Which account took the hit for taxpayers?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:23 pm 

Looking at a story in the Chicago Tribune today reminded me of this topic. Seems the government in Rosemont, IL is refusing to release financials of a contract between that village and country artist Garth Brooks. The village owns and operates the Allstate Arena where Brooks performed earlier this year. They even passed a law that exempts themselves from the Illinois FOIA statue. They claim the financials are "trade secrets". That public servants wont release financial records of public dollars run through public venues is farcical. Officials claim that their competitive edge would be hurt by having to reveal the financials. That may be true, but then that only supports a position that they should not be in the concert promotion business. Tom McDermott is also refusing to release his own dealings in signing acts to play at Festival of the Take. What did we pay to have Charlie Daniels play The Take? Tom says he can't tell us. Not without a court order, I guess. Well can he at least tell us what we got hosed for hosting Common? Vince Neil?