Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 3-10-2014
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:55 pm 

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

All board members were present.

Recognition/Presentation:

A 6th grade student from Eggers, won a local oratorical competition, and will now compete in the regional competition. Her deliverance this evening of her winning piece was outstanding, to say the least. She received a standing ovation from the audience.

Reports:

There was an update tonight on the status of the legislation pending in Indianapolis on the removal/reduction of the private property tax on businesses. It is now in committee. This legislation, if passed, would mean a 1.8 million dollar reduction in the SCH monies.

New Business:

Approval of Mission Statement,Vision Statement, and Belief/Value Statement of the SCH. Also, there were be NEOLA updates forthcoming, and a review of the new legislative guidelines for the FMLA.

Calender:

The next regular school board meeting will be Monday March 24, 2014 6pm at Lincoln Elementary. April's meeting schedule has been altered because of the upcoming holiday. The meetings in April will be Monday April 9th 6pm 41 Williams Street, and Wednesday April 30th, 6pm at Clark.

Public Expression 2nd Session(no speakers 1st session)

A Jefferson parent expressed her dismay of the bullying her child has received at school, and the alleged lack of help she has received to stop this.

My take:

The 6th grade student who read their winning piece this evening, was the best I have ever heard in all the years I have been going to the school board meetings. I was told she is a straight A student, also. I was more than impressed, I was floored. Honestly, I can say that if I was a person in charge of awarding scholarships, just based on what I saw and heard this evening, hands down, this student would get her college paid for. She WAS THAT GOOD ! She was articulate, well spoken, and had a maturity you rarely see in a child of this age ! I hope that the SCH recognizes this, and makes available all the educational tools and then some, at her disposal. Congratulations on a job well done !!!

I hope the Jefferson parent gets help for their child.