Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Saying ahh: The deep throats of Rich James
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 6:52 am 

For decades Rich James has passed himself off as political guru. I contend he has no crystal ball but has taken credit for inside information fed him in exchange for the unabashed media support of the feeder in his columns. One example of this is the time, not too long ago, that George Van Til advised Mayor McD, days in advance to brace himself for a Sunday editorial beating.

In today's column, I suspect he's formed a new, much tighter insider information pipeline with The Big Bun, our Sheriff and, it seems, John Petalas, in order to take a cheap shot and bash Commissioner Mike Repay on Buncich's behalf. James writes, in complete denial of the fortitude and integrity displayed by him on the LOIT vote, a decision that fiscally rescued Lake County from certain bankruptcy, "As a guy who hasn’t yet earned his political wings, Repay may not be the guy to lead an organization that long has been the pride of Indiana."

Electoral risks aside, Repay's position on the LOIT last year was virtually unprecedented in annals of the past thirty years in Lake County politics. He actually subordinated his personal ideological stand and in combination with an equally unprecedented risk to his political future did the right thing for the county's administration of government, by allowing the county council enactment of LOIT to stand.

There are serious questions about James' credibility. But read it for yourself. Repay is right, we need a change of the guard. I suspect the real reason Buncich has thrown his hat into the ring is ensure his rival Repay doesn't get it, and given the political animal he is, it may extend his rule/influence or provide him a hobby at the end of his current reign.

------

RICH JAMES: Buncich a good choice for Dem chairman

7 hours ago • By Rich James

East Chicagoans John Krupa, Robert Pastrick and Stephen Stiglich led the Lake County Democratic Party for about a half century.

That control of the chairmanship ended with the election of Rudy Clay of Gary in 2005 and Thomas McDermott Jr. of Hammond in 2009.

The party will turn another page on June 28 when 526 precinct committeemen convene to replace McDermott, who is stepping down.

It is an awesome task, especially given there are 18 town and city Democratic organizations to oversee.

County Commissioner Mike Repay says he wants the job, and he insulted any Democrats worth their salt when he explained why.

“So the question is, what’s the next thing? Is it something new or do we go back? I think I represent more of what Chairman McDermott has put forward,” Repay said.

As a guy who hasn’t yet earned his political wings, Repay may not be the guy to lead an organization that long has been the pride of Indiana.

Keeping an organization of 526 committeemen together is akin to herding cats.

The guy for the job is Sheriff John Buncich, or possibly county Treasurer John Petalas. Each has earned it. And each knows what it takes to win the favor of the diverse groups that make up the Democratic Party.

But it’s Buncich who would make the better chairman.

Buncich has nothing to gain. He will surely be elected in the fall to a final term as sheriff.

Buncich understands those in the precinct organization, whether they are from Lowell or Highland or Gary. That is something acquired over time.

Buncich also has been a leading political voice for organized labor — the backbone of the Democratic organization for decades.

And Buncich knows how to turn out a vote when the bell rings on Election Day.

As sheriff, Buncich is more aware than most of the multitude of problems facing Lake County.

Having grown up in Gary, Buncich learned politics in the trenches. And, despite all the social media today, local elections still are won by knocking on doors.

Frankly, I’m a bit surprised McDermott decided to step down. Being somewhat green when he started, he learned what it was all about and was turning into a pretty good chairman.

Being Lake County Democratic chairman is about securing good candidates, raising money and turning out a massive vote.

I’m not terribly sure what Repay means when he talks about something new or going back.

Democrats don’t change a lot. They stay true to their ideals. And no one understands that better than someone who has been around and benefitted from that foundation.

When Repay talks about how it would be wrong to “go back,” I think about the massive Democratic vote that Pastrick turned out over more than 25 years as chairman. Maybe going back would be a good thing.

Post subject: Re: Saying ahh: The deep throats of Rich James
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:12 pm 

But....but....I thought you and your doppelganger on the Mad Mac Facebook page considered Rich James a real asset to The Times, simply by virtue of that tried-and-true Lake County gold standard: he has hung around a long time.