Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Public Work Session 6-11-2014
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:27 pm 

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

Ms. Mamala was absent this evening, and Mr. Janiec was very late.

There was no voting on issues at hand this evening, as this was a PWS, and not a regular meeting. Several items were discussed, which will be voted on, on the meeting of the 23rd.

1. Time clocks for all hourly employees. This is in place for bus drivers currently, biometric time clocks. This will be expanded for all hourly employees.
2. Universal free breakfast and lunch for all students. This is a federal program, no local or state monies are used. Plans are to implement this in the grade schools this coming fall, and to implement it in the middle and high schools next year.
3. Outsourcing painters. This is already being done on a smaller scale, but this will be the protocol if the board votes for it. Costs were cited.

My take:

I myself, believe biometrics to be very invasive. Reportedly, there has been problems with employees clocking each other in, and employees not working a full day. This is to ensure the employees are at work at the hours they are supposed to be.

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Public Work Session 6-11-2014
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:57 am 

Tiger1 wrote:

There was no voting on issues at hand this evening, as this was a PWS, and not a regular meeting. Several items were discussed, which will be voted on, on the meeting of the 23rd.

1. Time clocks for all hourly employees. This is in place for bus drivers currently, biometric time clocks. This will be expanded for all hourly employees.
2. Universal free breakfast and lunch for all students. This is a federal program, no local or state monies are used. Plans are to implement this in the grade schools this coming fall, and to implement it in the middle and high schools next year.
3. Outsourcing painters. This is already being done on a smaller scale, but this will be the protocol if the board votes for it. Costs were cited.

My take:

I myself, believe biometrics to be very invasive. Reportedly, there has been problems with employees clocking each other in, and employees not working a full day. This is to ensure the employees are at work at the hours they are supposed to be.

Do you even know what biometrics are? Making sure employees actually work the hours they are paid for is good fiscal policy.

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Public Work Session 6-11-2014
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:32 pm 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:

My take:

Do you even know what biometrics are? Making sure employees actually work the hours they are paid for is good fiscal policy.

Salaried employees are exempt. Is that fair to the hourly employees?