Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Is this extortion & should it be prosecuted?
yes 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
no 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3
 Post subject: McDermott solitics bribe or is it extortion?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:46 am 

Quote:
http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/lake/28421317-418/funding-feud-heats-up-over-festival-of-the-lakes.html

Funding feud heats up over Festival of the Lakes

By Carrie Napoleon Post-Tribune correspondent July 1, 2014 10:22PM

Updated: July 2, 2014 2:02AM

Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott Jr. on Tuesday ended a 12-day truce with the South Shore Convention and Visitors Authority board and its president with a return to Facebook and a refusal to accept a $40,000 sponsorship approved by the board for the city’s Festival of the Lakes in July.

The $40,000 figure was a compromise by board members between the $30,000 budgeted by the SSCVA for the event and the $50,000 McDermott requested June 19 when he appeared before the board to apologize for attacks in the press and on social media concerning the move of the South Shore Air Show from the Lake Michigan shoreline in Gary to Fair Oaks Farms in Newton County.

At a special meeting Monday, the authority board debated for an hour how much to commit to the Hammond festival and whether McDermott’s apology was just a ploy for additional funding. Typically, the SSCVA commits $20,000 to the festival. In 2013, it gave $30,000.

The board members bristled at the $50,000 donation, and a motion to sponsor the Festival of the Lakes for $30,000 failed. Then a motion to sponsor the event for $40,000 was approved.

On Tuesday, McDermott posted an email from the authority’s president and chief executive, Speros Batistatos, to the members of the SSCVA board that informed them that McDermott had declined the $40,000 sponsorship.

“I share your collective sense of bewilderment and disappointment at the Mayor’s decision to spurn this board’s offer of $40,000. In my conversation with the Mayor, and as I have explained to each of you personally, I repeatedly asked the Mayor to reconsider this decision,” Batistatos wrote in the email.

McDermott also posted Tuesday to Facebook the terms of the truce between the SSCVA and Hammond, saying the SSCVA agreed to contribute $50,000 to Festival of the Lakes in exchange for Hammond officials remaining silent on the controversy over the authority moving the air show to Newton County and “spending $380,000 of Lake County taxpayer money outside of Lake County.” The mayor also agreed to stay out of any debate in the General Assembly concerning county council approval of the SSCVA budget.

McDermott on his Facebook page asks residents to advise him of how to respond now that the authority board did not approve a $50,000 contribution to the festival.

“Speros calls to say he can only get $40K of Hammond’s promise of $50K, a 20% reduction in the amount agreed upon. Of course, he still expects Hammond to remain silent on budget approval and his decision to move the air show,” McDermott wrote.

In the letter to his board, Batistatos said that in “my more than 25 years in public service I have never ... seen an elected official ask his Facebook followers to make policy decisions. ... I think this whole situation is amazingly distasteful and embarrassing.”

Sponsorship dollars for the Festival of the Lakes are due Thursday. The SSCVA has called an emergency session at 9 a.m. Wednesday to discuss its options, but indicated that no action will be taken.

McDermott could not be reached Tuesday for comment.

The SSCVA referred calls for comment to board chairman Vic DeMeyer, who said the SSCVA has nothing further to add at this time.

What a putz!

McDermott has the audacity to walk away from $40,000, because he wanted $50,000 for the Festival of the Lakes and refuses to release Festival of the Lakes financial data.

And then the agreement was not to:

Quote:
McDermott also posted Tuesday to Facebook the terms of the truce between the SSCVA and Hammond, saying the SSCVA agreed to contribute $50,000 to Festival of the Lakes in exchange for Hammond officials remaining silent on the controversy over the authority moving the air show to Newton County and “spending $380,000 of Lake County taxpayer money outside of Lake County.” The mayor also agreed to stay out of any debate in the General Assembly concerning county council approval of the SSCVA budget.

Isn't this soliciting a bribe?

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: McDermott solitics bribe?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:51 am 

As corrected by a visitor to the under the Hohman avenue Bridge campfire... no it is extortion.

Quote:
McDermott has noon deadline for SSCVA money

By Carrie Napoleon Post-Tribune correspondent July 2, 2014 10:44PM
Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott/Sun-Times Medifile photo

Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott/Sun-Times Media file photo

Updated: July 3, 2014 2:01AM

HAMMOND — The South Shore Convention and Visitors Authority board members say the offer to sponsor Festival of the Lakes for $40,000 is still on the table if the city can provide the authority information on what is included in the sponsorship package by Thursday’s deadline.

Vic DeMeyer, chairman of the South Shore Convention and Visitors Authority board, said board members in an emergency executive session Wednesday decided after a long and spirited discussion to leave Monday’s offer of a $40,000 sponsorship on the table despite the apparent rejection of that offer by Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott Jr.

“The board is unanimously in favor of supporting this event. Nothing has changed,” DeMeyer said.

DeMeyer said the SSCVA’s attorney is forwarding a letter to McDermott today seeking to confirm the mayor has rejected the sponsorship offer.

“We are waiting for the mayor’s response. We certainly hope he takes us up on it,” he said.

McDermott said he is upset Speros Batistatos, SSCVA president and CEO, was unable to deliver what the men agreed upon behind closed doors.

“I don’t know the status of the offer,” McDermott said Wednesday. “The terms of that deal weren’t honored… I shook hands with the man. What am I supposed to do if Speros can’t honor the terms?”

He had not yet received correspondence from the SSCVA’s attorney on the status of the sponsorship and said he was unaware of what the agency was offering in light of the broken pact.

“Is this a $40,000 sponsorship with strings attached or just plain sponsoring?” McDermott said.

He said he would gladly take a $40,000 sponsorship and offer the SSCVA all that would come with the sponsorship at that level if it is not contingent on the terms of the truce that he said is no longer valid.

“If they are going to require Mayor McDermott to not be able to speak his free mind, to lobby legislators in the General Assembly; if I take it and they expect me to shut up not tell you how I feel, I can’t do that,” McDermott said. “If they are able to throw around money to shut up public officials, I don’t appreciate that.”

The board convened in emergency executive session to discuss the apparent breakdown Tuesday of the deal brokered by DeMeyer and Batistatos in June with McDermott.

In exchange for increased financial support to Festival of the Lakes, McDermott apologized to the SSCVA board and agreed to stop disparaging its members and Batistatos in the press and social media over the move of the South Shore Air Show from the Lake Michigan shoreline in Gary to Fair Oaks Farms in Newton County. McDermott had also agreed to hold his tongue on state legislation seeking to bring the SSCVA’s budget under county council scrutiny.

McDermott returned to social media Tuesday after the SSCVA board Monday failed to approve $50,000 in sponsorship for the Hammond festival, instead opting to sponsor at $40,000. He laid blame for the breakdown of truce at the feet of Batistatos.

Apparently McDermott has forgotten, expenditures need the governing board approval.

In the case of a recent Hammond State Board of Account Audit, $38,000,000 was illegally spent, with out Hammond City Council Approval.

As an attorney, what the hell does McDermott care about with regard to legalities? Apparently nothing!

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Post subject: Re: McDermott solitics bribe?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:52 am 

justcallmetommy wrote:
As corrected by a visitor to the under the Hohman avenue Bridge campfire... no it is extortion.

Quote:
McDermott has noon deadline for SSCVA money

By Carrie Napoleon Post-Tribune correspondent July 2, 2014 10:44PM
Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott/Sun-Times Medifile photo

Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott/Sun-Times Media file photo

Updated: July 3, 2014 2:01AM

HAMMOND — The South Shore Convention and Visitors Authority board members say the offer to sponsor Festival of the Lakes for $40,000 is still on the table if the city can provide the authority information on what is included in the sponsorship package by Thursday’s deadline.

Vic DeMeyer, chairman of the South Shore Convention and Visitors Authority board, said board members in an emergency executive session Wednesday decided after a long and spirited discussion to leave Monday’s offer of a $40,000 sponsorship on the table despite the apparent rejection of that offer by Hammond Mayor Tom McDermott Jr.

“The board is unanimously in favor of supporting this event. Nothing has changed,” DeMeyer said.

DeMeyer said the SSCVA’s attorney is forwarding a letter to McDermott today seeking to confirm the mayor has rejected the sponsorship offer.

“We are waiting for the mayor’s response. We certainly hope he takes us up on it,” he said.

McDermott said he is upset Speros Batistatos, SSCVA president and CEO, was unable to deliver what the men agreed upon behind closed doors.

“I don’t know the status of the offer,” McDermott said Wednesday. “The terms of that deal weren’t honored… I shook hands with the man. What am I supposed to do if Speros can’t honor the terms?”

He had not yet received correspondence from the SSCVA’s attorney on the status of the sponsorship and said he was unaware of what the agency was offering in light of the broken pact.

“Is this a $40,000 sponsorship with strings attached or just plain sponsoring?” McDermott said.

He said he would gladly take a $40,000 sponsorship and offer the SSCVA all that would come with the sponsorship at that level if it is not contingent on the terms of the truce that he said is no longer valid.

“If they are going to require Mayor McDermott to not be able to speak his free mind, to lobby legislators in the General Assembly; if I take it and they expect me to shut up not tell you how I feel, I can’t do that,” McDermott said. “If they are able to throw around money to shut up public officials, I don’t appreciate that.”

The board convened in emergency executive session to discuss the apparent breakdown Tuesday of the deal brokered by DeMeyer and Batistatos in June with McDermott.

In exchange for increased financial support to Festival of the Lakes, McDermott apologized to the SSCVA board and agreed to stop disparaging its members and Batistatos in the press and social media over the move of the South Shore Air Show from the Lake Michigan shoreline in Gary to Fair Oaks Farms in Newton County. McDermott had also agreed to hold his tongue on state legislation seeking to bring the SSCVA’s budget under county council scrutiny.

McDermott returned to social media Tuesday after the SSCVA board Monday failed to approve $50,000 in sponsorship for the Hammond festival, instead opting to sponsor at $40,000. He laid blame for the breakdown of truce at the feet of Batistatos.

Apparently McDermott has forgotten, expenditures need the governing board approval.

In the case of a recent Hammond State Board of Account Audit, $38,000,000 was illegally spent, with out Hammond City Council Approval.

As an attorney, what the hell does McDermott care about with regard to legalities? Apparently nothing!

$50,000 buys his silence.

Post subject: Re: McDermott solitics bribe or is it extortion?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 pm 

Why is Tom McDermott talking about himself in the third person? While this doesn't quite rise to the level of the dumb criminal who checked Facebook while committing a burglary, and not logging off before leaving, McDermott's Facebook postings are astonishingly stupid. First the rants, then the backtracking, and now the backroom deal! Tom is all over the place but it should soon be all over for him. Why would an attorney offer, then confirm on Facebook, then complain on Facebook, that a quid pro quo deal was being reneged on? What was the convention bureau buying when paying 50k would get them the same sponsorship package as 20K? McDermott sets a tone for public service ethics. It's an implied leadership where a city employee would feel comfortable saying, "If I fix your roof for 5k, you won't have to worry about code enforment." So, if you "donate" 50k to his festival (remember, Tom talks in the third person about himself), Tom McDermott will look the other way at your ethical issues? Is that how it is? Is that the deal that Tom struck, but now feels betrayed? The only ones betrayed here are taxpayers. Does McDermott use similar negotiating to get campaign donations? After seeing his actions here, I can't give him the benefit of a doubt. JCMT, If you haven't already, please get this story to the appropriate people.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:29 pm 

I noticed a real estate sign the had a Mc Dermott and a Rapchak on it. Is this the same guy that 0wned Aquvour?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:48 am 

So, I'm listening to the radio yesterday, and along comes a commercial for Festival of the Take. Highlighted was a musical act fitting with the demographic of the radio station, then came the message that the event is "sponsored" by NIPSCO. Other than Hammond taxpayers, it looks like NIPSCO may be the biggest "sponsor" of the Take. I guess bygones should be, and it's all water under the bridge and whatnot, but Tom McDermott has had until recently, a very public beef with NIPSCO, writing op/ed pieces against them, whining on "his" radio show about executive compensation at NiSource, and even filing a lawsuit against them involving a proposed rate increase. Now that they have forked over tens of thousands of dollars to "his" festival, I haven't heard Tom say a cross word about them. Apparently, he moved on to the next shakedown, The Convention and Visitors Authority. There, he negotiated that his cooperation with that body could be bought for a 50 grand donation to "his" festival. He told us so on Facebook. Even Jesse Jackson can take note of his tricks. I say "his" festival because it surely can't be "ours". Why we can't even get documents on the financials from him on the fest, asking "pretty please" then even with legal moves going as far as subpoena. No, it's definitely his for the Taking.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:56 am 

lubu wrote:
Even Jesse Jackson can take note of his tricks.

Ha! Righteous observation!

Other than the second-tier act Blues Traveler, I don't think I've heard of a single band on the Festival of the Lakes calendar.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:16 pm 

Don't need any more "BLUES" stuff. That's all we hear lately in the region.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:07 pm 

I hear rumor this might cause a very powerful nwi politician to come before the state supreme court with a discipline charge.