Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Festival of the Lakes 2015
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:57 am 

bert68 wrote:
I would think families with young children would be kept away. Why invite an act which would keep parents from bringing young children to enjoy the rides and all that goes with a night out? I thought this Mayor used this event to show off Hammond and bring families into Hammond. To pay any "entertainer" to come to your city and use the language this guy uses regarding women, drugs, race etc. seems counter to the Mayors stated purposes for having the festival. It seems a very strange choice.

In a diverse city like Hammond, entertainment choices should include every popular genre, including rap. The only families that won't take their kids to FOTL's because a rap artist is appearing are the kind of people we don't need in our city.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:24 am 

Like Gary and East Chicago before it, Hammond is doing a superlative job of getting rid of "the kind of people we don't need in our city". You are fast approaching a population comprised of nothing but publicly employed drones, old-school union retirees, fast-food workers and retail clerks, and entitled, non-productive single mothers. Be careful for what you wish.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 5:24 am 

Like Gary and East Chicago before it, Hammond is doing a superlative job of getting rid of "the kind of people we don't need in our city". You are fast approaching a population comprised of nothing but publicly employed drones, old-school union retirees, fast-food workers and retail clerks, and entitled, non-productive single mothers. Be careful for what you wish.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:26 am 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
lubu wrote:
We were doing fine discussing the festival and a chosen "entertainer", when "someone" threw out a baseless accusation of bigotry. Now, instead of talking about real misogynistic, violent, pro-drugs, and anti-police rhetoric, we needlessly defend against bogus accusations.

Would Tom McDermott allow his wife and daughter to get up on stage with this caricature, 2 Chainz, and subject themselves to the sexual objectification and misogyny depicted in his lyrics and videos?

I would not even allow my adult children to go up on stage with that trash.

Adults can think for themselves. Puppets allow mommy to pull their strings.

My kids are no puppets, and can think for themselves. But, if something is not right, as a parent I have a duty to speak my peace.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:27 am 

bert68 wrote:
I would think families with young children would be kept away. Why invite an act which would keep parents from bringing young children to enjoy the rides and all that goes with a night out? I thought this Mayor used this event to show off Hammond and bring families into Hammond. To pay any "entertainer" to come to your city and use the language this guy uses regarding women, drugs, race etc. seems counter to the Mayors stated purposes for having the festival. It seems a very strange choice.

I agree. This is not the entertainment you want at a Family Festival.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:28 am 

sparks wrote:
bert68 wrote:

In a diverse city like Hammond, entertainment choices should include every popular genre, including rap. The only families that won't take their kids to FOTL's because a rap artist is appearing are the kind of people we don't need in our city.

I have nothing against some Rap, just this gutter crap that is being put forth as entertainment.