Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 6-15-2015
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:05 pm 

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

All board members were present.

Recognition/Presentation:

The Swede Carlson Scholarship winners were announced this evening. One of the recipients was there this evening, a fine young lady who wrote a very heart-tugging essay to win the scholarship. Parts of the essay were read this evening. This young lady has dealt with homelessness, drug addicted and jailed parent, extreme poverty, and yet she is doing great in school, and will be going to college this Fall. As the oldest of 8 kids, a lot of responsibility has fallen on her shoulders, even though she is so young herself.

Public Expression 1st & 2nd Sessions:

Carlotta Blake King was a speaker at both sessions this evening. Her concern was the replacement of Teachers leaving Hammond High this year.She also thanked Mr. Bialek for his efforts to raise money for the Choir and Band at HHS. She said there will be a future rally by her community group. The theme of this rally will be "Student Lives Matter". she also mentioned that Hammond High School has the highest graduation rate this year, of all of the SCH high schools.

Calender:

The executive session for June has been cancelled, as has the Special meeting for June. The next regular school board meeting will be on Monday July 6th 5:30pm at 41 Williams Street.

My Take:

The courage of this young lady who received the scholarship this evening, is above and beyond what most young people do. She did not give up. Instead she is fighting for a future. I sincerely believe she will have a bright future, and I wish her all the best.

Yeah, I am sure that the fact that Hammond High had the highest grad rate of all of the schools, did not sit well with some people. There are some out there, who WANT HHS to fail.

Roy Richards resigned from the SCH this afternoon. He was the Morton Coach who was suspended last month over allegations. His name was not on the personal report this evening, but I am sure it will be on next months meeting. Here is the link to the Times article on this matter:

http://www.nwitimes.com/conferences/gre ... b2d07.html