Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 10-5-2015
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:36 pm 

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

All board members were present.

The 2016 Budget was adopted this evening. Ms. Murphy addressed the issue of the SCH being in a 2 million dollar deficit.Insurance and Attrition were discussed as a ways to trim the deficit.

Presentation/Recognition:

The SOAR program was discussed this evening. SOAR is similar to the Summer Studies previously offered to SCH students.

A presentation was made on "BrainWare", which was a program piloted at 2 elementary schools in Hammond for a select group of students. This computer learning program, according to the stats presented, increases cognitive ability, and improves all academic skills.

Public Expression 1st Session:

Carlotta King talked about the BrainWare program, and it's benefits. She also expressed sadness at the recent resignation of the Principal at Hammond High, and wants the community to help pick a replacement.
Councilman Anthony Higgs commented on the BrainWare program, and the results of the program at Maywood.

Calendar: A Public Work Session for NEOLA(board policy) will be on Thursday October 22nd 5:30pm at 41 Williams Street. The next regular board meeting will be on Monday October 19th 6pm at Morton Elementary. There will also be a quick Special Meeting for contract approval on Thursday October 8th 5:30pm at 41 Williams Street.

Public Expression 2nd Session:

Carlotta King Said the fundraising for the Hammond High Band has been going good. The goal is $10,000 and they have raised $3,000 so far.

My Take:

Painful cuts must be made to keep the budget under control. I think that a consolidation of some of the administrative jobs might be a good place to start, without hurting the students. You got to make do with what you have. Frilly stuff needs to go right away.

I encourage people to please donate unwanted but fixable musical instruments to Hammond High's Band. They are raising money to refurbish whatever musical instruments they receive. New instruments are outrageously expensive, and any good, used instruments would be very graciously accepted. I mentioned this in my post from the last meeting, and I do have some to give them. I am sure a lot of you reading my posts on this have some laying around at home, or know someone who does. Give the students at HHS a hands up, and please donate them.