Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Commissioner WePay in Bed with Felon?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:10 am 

Tell me it ain't so.

One of the local bloggers, who keeps a wide distance from writing about McDermott Jr apparently has gone on the attach of looking at Lake County Commissioner WePay Repay.

Now Mr. Repay made an about face on the Local County Income tax and became the darling of Tom McDermott. It been attributed to one of the two being quoted, "I can't hurt him, and he can't hurt me!"

Disappointing as I am, the following bit in the bloggers feed is disturbing. Is Mike Repay sleeping in the same bed as Lake County Political fixer Bobby Cantrell? Now a point of information, it been said in some who know circles, that Cantrell's influence was never really substantial, its just common sense politics. The only thing Cantrell appeared to fix is assuring his reputation got him some contracts. Last public records on Cantrell's income before jail was somewhere north of $200,000 a year, most I recall from the public trough.

The Cantrells have more of a problem with one of his seed. Reported, a daughter, was driving a car which non matching license plates was involved in what was reportedly to be a booze fueled accident, resulting in the seed running away from the scene of the accident. Incident happened near Lake of the Four Seasons. The daughter reportedly has a law license. Opps!

Why isn't their license in the process of being suspended?

That is another story....

On with the blogger's piece (note, I didn't write it):

Quote:
http://nwigazette.com/2016/06/cantrell-court-docs-shed-light-racial-politics-commissioners-race/

Cantrell Court Docs Shed Light on Racial Politics in Commissioner’s Race

Using race as a tool to divide and conquer

villpondtestimonyp2

Click for Full Size

June 7, 2016-On the day of the primary election, the Gazette reported exclusively that Lake County Commissioner Candidate Mike Repay was having lunch with Robert Cantrell and members of his “team.” Federal Court documents, which are publicly available, may shed some light on why a candidate running for re-election would be spending the day with a recently released federal convict.

In 2008, Robert Cantrell was convicted after a jury trial of 11 counts including depriving the public of honest services. Essentially, the Government showed that Cantrell arranged to receive a kickback on government contracts granted to Addiction and Family Care, a counseling agency owned by a long-time political ally of Cantrell. Most relevant, however, was how the scheme was carried out. In order to obtain clients for the counseling service, Cantrell used his political power to “persuade” judges in Lake County to refer clients to Addiction and Family Care. The testimony above, from Judge Jesse Villalpondo of the Lake Superior Court, provides insight into how this persuasion worked:

“I can put Ed Fonatanez against you as a candidate for judge. Now he’s not going to beat you, Judge Villalpondo. He’s not. But every vote that he gets is a vote that I should have gotten based on the fact that we share a common ethnic identity. And if a third person – -this is Bob talking – -if I put a third person is (sic) in the race against you, that third person may benefit from the division of the Hispanic community that Mr. Fontanez would creat with my constituency in a 2006 democratic primary.”

In short, the Cantrell plan was to run a sham candidate with a hispanic name to divide the vote in a judge’s race. Integral to the plan is that Cantrell wanted something from the judge. He was not involved in politics for better government. The meeting was not about who is the best candidate but solely about how can Robert Cantrell profit from his political connections.

Similary, in the 2016 race for Lake County Commissioner, the Cantrell/Repay connection depicts a divide and conquer plan. As you can see from the graphic below, hispanic candidates Christine Cid and David Gonzalez divided up 48% of the vote. Cantrell lunchmate Mike Repay received the party nomination with 42% of the vote:
2016_Primary_Election_Results-page-001

This is exactly the threat that was made against Judge Villalpondo in 2006. It is classic East Chicago politics-the type of divide and conquer politics that kept Robert Pastrick in office for years after the community over which he presided became racially diverse. The only questions remaining are, what promises were made by Commissioner Repay to extract the support of Robert Cantrell-and how much will it cost the taxpayers.

If you would like to read the full testimony of Judge Villalpondo in the Robert Cantrell trial, you may click here: http://nwigazette.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Cantrell-villalpondo.pdf

Might be nice to see a Republican Candidate step up to the plate against Repay. Think
a lot of people are really upset with him, especially those who write a five figure check to the Indiana IRS.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.

Last edited by justcallmetommy on Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Commissioner WePay in Bed with Felon?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:14 am 

Are some county contract/s coming to one of the Cantrell seed's in the near future?

If there are.... and REPAY votes for them..... shame on Mike.

XMPT wrote in Dermott Minions now stating No Sweet House? Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:04 am. Hammonite you might want to say a prayer to your God for freetime. She got back what she dished out.