Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 10-17-2016
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:21 pm 

NOTE:

As some of you know, I am running for school board. After 30 years of attending school board meetings, and after having my youngest child graduate college, I am finally taking the plunge.I am retired, and have the time to devote all my energies towards the education of our children. I am not a politician, and I have never run for office before. I have seen a lot all these years at the school board meetings, the good, the bad, and the very,very ugly. Our children deserve better, and so do the tax payers. I have a grandchild currently in the SCH, and will have 2 more in the SCH within a couple of years or so. So, as you can see, I have a very vested interest in this school city.
IF I succeed in this, I will no longer be posting my reports as I have all these years, as it can be construed as a conflict of interest. So, this might be my 2nd to the last report. Please go out and vote on November 8th !!!

Mary Ellen Slazyk

Here are the highlights of the meeting:

All board members were present.

Recognition/Presentation:

Both Hess and Harding Elementary Schools presented their new programs and awards this evening. Harding also has a taped performance of their school choir, which was shown this evening.

Reports:

Ms. Marsha Frey talked about the School City wellness committee and the wellness policy.

Calendar:

The next regular board meeting is on Monday November 7th 6pm at 41 Williams Street. The second board meeting in November will be on Monday the 21st 6pm at Lafayette.

Public Expression 2nd Session(no speakers 1st session):

Reverend Maurice Parrish expressed his concern about the rumors circulating that there will be a removal of minority personnel in the School City.
Carlotta King expressed concern about the rumor also.
Alvin Cheeks expressed concern about the rumor also. He also talked about the chess program he works with, and would like to see a cooperation between the SCH chess groups and the group he is involved with.

My Take:

The performance from the Harding Choir was really nice !!!
This particular rumor has been around for a few years. Time will tell, I guess.

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Meeting 10-17-2016
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:20 am 

IF I succeed in this, I will no longer be posting my reports as I have all these years, as it can be construed as a conflict of interest.
OK, you want to be elected to the Hammond school board of that oversees education for 14,000 children and you don't even understand what conflict of interest is? School board members can and do write blogs, ed/op pieces, post links to Facebook, speak at graduations,athletic events and other functions to influence public opinion and improve the quality of education for the students in their district. Expressing your views isn't a conflict of interest, it's what dedicated elected officials do.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:03 am 

sparks wrote:
IF I succeed in this, I will no longer be posting my reports as I have all these years, as it can be construed as a conflict of interest.
OK, you want to be elected to the Hammond school board of that oversees education for 14,000 children and you don't even understand what conflict of interest is? School board members can and do write blogs, ed/op pieces, post links to Facebook, speak at graduations,athletic events and other functions to influence public opinion and improve the quality of education for the students in their district. Expressing your views isn't a conflict of interest, it's what dedicated elected officials do.

I will not have the freedom as a member of the public, as I do now. THAT is the big difference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:08 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
sparks wrote:

I will not have the freedom as a member of the public, as I do now. THAT is the big difference.

Returning to the original point, a conflict of interest occurs when someone makes a decision as a government employee that benefits them financially. Board members retain all of the rights that private citizens have.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 am 

sparks wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
sparks wrote:

Returning to the original point, a conflict of interest occurs when someone makes a decision as a government employee that benefits them financially. Board members retain all of the rights that private citizens have.

You also are censored from talking about certain items concerning the schools, when you are a board member.