Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: City Council Meeting 11-14-2016
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:29 am 

Yes, I went Pit Bull last night during the public expression segment, and justifiably so. Councilman Pete Torres doesn't deserve the treatment he is receiving from the mayor. To fully understand the total disrespect, public belittling, etc, directed towards Councilman Torres, you need to watch the tirade aimed towards him at the previous council meeting on October 24th. Here is a link:http://www.gohammond.tv/102416-hammond-common-council-meeting/

I have sent out copies of the letter received by the council. Unfortunately, I have trouble doing a copy and paste with this computer, so I will have to print it out on this post by hand. Hopefully my techie daughter can figure out how to scan and post the letter with the letterhead this evening:

Dear Council Members:

During the October 11, 2016 Hammond City Council Meeting, Councilman Torres accused me, and the Hammond Police Administration, of intimidation against members of the Hammond Police Department who feel they are being underpaid. Because Councilman Torres repeatedly insisted that members of my administration run the police department through fear and intimidation, I felt the necessity to respond to Councilman Torres slanderous attack in writing.

Councilman Torres says "They don't think (2%) is an adequate raise" and that "...They are afraid to speak up because of retaliation from the City (page 6 of 10-11-2016 Hammond Council meeting minutes). Councilman Torres says he feels "there's some truth" to the employees fear of retaliation (page 6). He goes on to state "the lower class patrolmen fear speaking out because of retaliation" (page 9). " I'm just acting on the request of some policemen again in coming in front of the council...There are ways of retaliation against policemen" (page 9). "People in the City, I understand, are not happy with this. But, again, they fear retaliation. They want to protect their jobs, and that's how come they don't say a peep"(page 13.

Post subject: Re: City Council Meeting 11-14-2016
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 am 

Sorry I have to put this in sections, but I got a whacky computer.

Letter continued:

Obviously, Councilman Torres is indicating that Hammond's Police Dept. is intimidating it's rank and file officers, which reflects badly on all copied to this letter. However, I would like to point out to the Council members that Hammond Police are among the highest paid police officers in Indiana. In fact, their union is only requesting a 2% raise for 2017. Why a councilman would offer 150% more than what they are negotiating for is beyond me.

I would also point out to Councilman Torres the following percentage raises that we have provided to HPD since I have been Mayor.

2005-3, 2006-3, 2007-4, 2008-4, 2009-3, 2010-3, 2011-4, 2012-4, 2015-2, 20016-2.

Since I have been Mayor, the Hammond Council and I have provided 36% pay raises to police officers and firefighters. Maybe because Torres has only been a councilman for 8 months, he didn't realize how generous we've been over the years.

Quite frankly, as a 14 year Mayor of the City, I don't appreciate Councilman Torres' insinuations that we retaliate or run this City through fear and intimidation. Every time I have run for Mayor, I've been endorsed by the FOP, Firefighters Union as well as the Teamsters. Why would these unions endorse me and my administration if we ruled through fear and intimidation? They wouldn't.

Last edited by Tiger1 on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:52 am 

Letter continued:

If it is true that Councilman Torres was approached by employees that said such things, which I doubt, they were clearly trying to dupe a rookie councilman into floating an ill-advised motion that would cost us an extra $3 million a year. Even their negotiating team wouldn't float such an ill-advised proposal. Then to rationalize the proposal by stating that the police brass would retaliate against them was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Let me just say thanks to the 7 council members that voted against this lame-brained proposal. I would hope, in the future, when making motions that would cost our city millions, a little more homework was done before floating the idea to the Hammond Council.

And, to the police brass copied to this letter, I just want you to know how Councilman Torres views your leadership styles, of which he obviously disaproves.

Sincerely. Thomas M. McDermott, Jr.

cc. John Doughty, Andy Short, Jeff Long, Rudy Grasha, Zeke Hinojosa, Kelvin Alcox, Heather Garay, Kris Kantar, Mark McLaughlin, Dave Hamm.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:58 am 

I have know Councilman Torres for about 40 years. When I lived in the 2nd district, he was my councilman, and a very good one. He was also a Police Officer in Hammond for about 23 years. He is no rookie. He is telling the truth.

If you want to skip some of the mundane, and go right to the bash, start at 1:13:30 in the vid. Right after Councilman Torres speaks, the fireworks start.

http://www.gohammond.tv/102416-hammond- ... l-meeting/