Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 1-23-2017
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:28 pm 

Here are the highlights ofthe meeting:

All board members were present.

Recognition/Presentation:

The Maywood Choir performed this evening.

Kenwood had a presentation on their mentoring program.

Public Expression 1st Session:

Several people spoke on the removal of Larry Moore as the Athletic Director/Coach at Hammond High. The consensus appeared to be that the firing was unjustified, and possible racial in nature. Also, the person who replaced Mr. Moore was not from Hammond.

Calendar:

The next regular board meeting will be on Monday February 6th, 6pm 41 Williams Street. The 2nd board meeting in February will be on Tuesday February 21st 6pm at Columbia.

New Business:

A report from the IHSAA, which came in late in the afternoon, was read this evening. According to the IHSAA, their findings are as follows: An athlete who was not a student at HHS was playing on the team.Several athletes were not academically eligible to play on the team. Several athletes did not have their required physicals to play on the team. Several athletes did not have the required number of practices to play on the team.The girls basketball team is now on probation, and all games from their season are forfeit.

Public Expression 2nd Session:

Several people spoke up for Larry Moore. They all concurred that he should be given another chance. A couple of the speakers cited that the student records are not available for the coaches to check for eligibility.

My take:

Congrats to the students honored/showcased this evening !!!

As for the removal of Larry Moore. If student records are not available for the coaches to check to see if an athlete is eligible, obviously this needs to be immediately corrected, so something like this never happens again. If this is substantiated, the removal of Larry Moore is not totally justified. OTOH, it is his job to make sure the athletes have their physicals, and to make sure they have enough practices in to be able to compete. These 2 things are entirely on Larry Moore's plate, no one else. This part of the violation is totally his fault, but I do not think this is enough to fire him. If the other part of the list of violations is not due to him doing his job, but the fact that pertinent information was not available to him, others should be on the fire list.

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Meeting 1-23-2017
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:50 pm 

I see the Times finally got the Hammond High story on their website. I broke this story Monday evening. It will be in the paper tomorrow, I am sure. One thing I will not do,what the paper did, was publish the names of the student athletes and the individual violations. They are juveniles, and I personally would never print their names, but I would list the violations.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high-sch ... 9f68d.html