Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hammond School Board Meeting 3-6-2017
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:16 pm 

Here are the highlights of the quick meeting:

Mrs. Jones was absent.

Recognition/Presentation:

Scott Middle School gave a presentation on the improvement of scores at the school. The board requested a breakdown by demographics.

Public Expression 1st & 2nd Sessions:

No speakers this evening.

Calendar:

The next regular board meeting will be on Monday March 20th, 6pm at Lincoln Elementary School.

New Business:

Finger Scanning Process: School Meals.

This has been shelved until a future board meeting, and a Public Work Session.

Resolution on the commitment to creating a safe and supportive learning environment, regardless of immigration status. This also includes all demographics, and the LGBT, and others.The students will not be denied an education if they are here illegally. Also, another part of this resolution,which was passed this evening, is that the schools may request,but not require an immigrant students social security number, or immigration status. This resolution will be put on the SCH website, in English and Spanish.

My Take:

A finger scan requires a fingerprint. Presently, for the school meals, the student slides their ID card through the scanner in the cafeteria. A finger scan is an intrusive method, and is generally reserved for an adult workplace environment. The SCH has no business requiring a fingerprint from our minor children. I am wholly uncomfortable with this, and in general appalled that this has even been discussed as a possible implementation in the near future. This is unconstitutional, as it requires you to throw away your rights to search and seizure with a required warrant, by law.

As for the resolution, the illegal immigrant children have been put in this position by their parents that brought them here illegally, and breaking the laws of this country by doing so. It is not the children's fault that this has happened to them, and I am sorry for their status that they had no say in. OTOH, if they and their families do not have to give their social security numbers, or their immigration status, neither should anyone else, no matter what their demographics may be. IMO, it is discriminatory to single out a specific demographic, and say they do not need documentation, when everyone else,of every other demographic, is required to do so.

FTR, I am a mixed demographic, Native American, Asian, and Caucasian. Some of my ancestors were native here, in the USA, and some of my other ancestors LEGALLY migrated here in the 1800's.

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Meeting 3-6-2017
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:02 am 

Tiger1 wrote:
Here are the highlights of the quick meeting

Good to see you posting, I'd feared you'd dropped away.

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Hammond School Board Meeting 3-6-2017
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 am 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Tiger1 wrote:
Here are the highlights of the quick meeting

Good to see you posting, I'd feared you'd dropped away.

I had to skip the last school board meeting. My oldest daughter was at the ER with acute bronchitis, and very short of breath. She is better now.

I am definitely not going anywhere, but family comes first.

I sincerely hope that people wake up, and see what the heck is going on in the school city,and the civil city.