Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Highland get's minus plus in audit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:21 am 

The state folks have given a low rating for Highland's Financial Audit. This is very unusual for Highland. Normally the town is clean as a whistle. It's funny they find these rather small complaints compared to other Northwest Indiana cities who run their own show, day after day. The State folks may have something in the background of changing the political structure in Highland. Several years ago the citizens of Highland elected a completely new independant board and things have been working pretty good. The Clerk Treas. Mike Griffin I expect isn't going to take this report lying down. He knows what he's doing and I expect some fireworks will develope after he has time to really digest this report. This guy is respected all over the state as the expert in finances for small cities and towns.

Post subject: Re: Highland get's minus plus in audit
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:42 pm 

I think what is happening is the State has changed something in the reporting and now its possible for everyone to be nailed with issues when they really are not issues at all.

Its no different than when the IRS goes snooping around into county finances for the first time ever(like what happened to Porter County). They found so many issues, that they claimed the county owed $190K to the feds, and after a couple months its down to $74K and even that is expected to drop more, because the feds are trying to double tax people for some reason

Not to long ago, my parents got a letter from the State saying they owed like $3,000 in taxes to the State for unpaid taxes on their house. Turned out the State forgot to take into account the disability exemption my mom has on the house which equals the $3K they supposedly owed. Now they went to the State and fought and was told it was an error all along and they knew, but never sent out a letter saying it was an error, and they looked into it and found out that same letter was sent to 8,500 different people in the State, now how many people do you think took the time to look at their property tax exemptions to see if the amount lined up to what they owe? I bet not many did, and many simply called the 800 number provided to set up payments, and I bet the State didn't tell anyone who did call it was a mistake either