Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Has Hobart Changed?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:01 pm 

When I was a girl in the late sixties and early seventies, I visited my aunt often. She lived in Hobart. I remember the neighbors being very aggressive and threatening, and once even calling the police because I had gone into his yard after a frisbee. I am biracial, and I remeber not being able to leave the yard unless my three boy cousins were with me. Recently I made a visit back to NW Indiana, and I drove through another neighborhood I lived in that was full of bad memories. I was shocked to see a Black kid come out of a home bouncing a basketball like he belonged there. Wow, all the memories I had reinforced over the past 30 years were shattered. I have not ventured back into Hobart yet. I go as far as Evergreen, where my mom and grandparents are buried. Are there any Blacks (or brown people in general) in Hobart these days?

Post subject: Yes Hobart has change with the times.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:09 pm 

:) Same here. I was born in a country that we are color blind. When I came to the USA in the early 60s the country was going thru a major change as you well know.
The same thing in Hobart. I moved in Hobart in 1978 and Hobart had no African Americans living here. I remember I had a black friend that was helping me with the moving. I moved here from the south side of Chicago. The people around here was giving me a dirty look. Now we have a good mix of people in Hobart. I hope that you'll come and spent some time here cause I'm sure that you'll like it.

Glad to reply Nick