Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: flood insurance
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:29 pm 

I'm buying a house in munster and just found out that my flood insurance will run for about 1700 dollars...this is ridiculous...it's next to ther river but it's on high ground. everything around me will flood before my house does. it is such scam...my sister lives a block away from the river and she only pays $900 for flood insurance...does anybody know where i can get a flood map? my real state broker told me that there were only three designations in munster for flood zones...and that everybody payed the same according to the flood zone...the insurance lady told me that they go by actual lots....this does not sound right...closing is july 26th...i really like muster for my kids sake....also...my neighbor has an above ground pool in his property but no fence....i have a 3 year old daughter...are there any pool ordinances? in chicago you can only have a pool in a fenced yard[/b]

Post subject: Re: flood insurance
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:38 am 

dominic wrote:
also...my neighbor has an above ground pool in his property but no fence....i have a 3 year old daughter...are there any pool ordinances? in chicago you can only have a pool in a fenced yard[/b]

You sound like a joy to have as a neighbor, why move next to a pre-existing pool and then complain about it?

My advice, don't buy it, keep looking.

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:08 am 

A land surveyor can assisit you in getting a property taken out of a flood plain if it does not belong there. The lowest elevation of the property, usually the basement, has to be outside of the 100 year flood elevation. Go to the www.fema.gov site for more information. If you are in a flood zone the insurance is expensive because if it does flood it can do alot of damage. PM me and I can refer you to someone that can help you.

Post subject: Now I get it.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:46 pm 

I live in Valpo now but want to be closer to the city and like Munster's feel. I noticed that all these homes in Munster have 2000 plus square feet, but are built California or Southern Style without basements. I have noticed this on the houses North of Ridge near the river.

Flood insurance seems to be mandatory no? When was the last flood and did id do damage to the homes along the little Calumet? Some of those 1950s and 1960s places are very cool and was just wondering why they all were on slabs with radiant heat.

Thanks! :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:10 am 

Slab homes? I am sure there are some out there, but I'm not sure in what neighborhoods you are looking. Last year, we looked at roughly thirty houses before buying ours, and most ranged from 1700-2000 SF. Some were bungalows, others were ranches, and we saw a few tri- and quad-levels. All but one had a basement. About half were in a flood plain. These were all in the area along Calumet Avenue, from 80/94 to about 45th Street.

The last major flood was in November 1990. Some homes in the area were completely submerged, but the bulk of the worst damage was in Highland's "Frog Hollow" area near Indianapolis Blvd. There have been some changes made, and some homes that were once in a flood area no longer are.

Flood insurance is mandatory if you are in a flood plain. We cannot get flood insurance through our provider because we are not in a flood plain; we have coverage for sewer backup and sump pump failure on our homeowners' policy.