Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Any other Valparaiso residents out there?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:27 am 

Just checking... I know these boards haven't seen much action yet, but if you've stumbled in here and are looking for other Valparaiso residents, I'm one of 'em. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:52 pm 

Hi Rich--

I'm not a Valpo resident but I'm wondering if it's true that Valpo is extremely racist. Are there any black folks that live there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:50 pm 

Yes, there are some black folks living in Valparaiso. Not a lot, but some. I don't know what percentage of the residents are black, Asian, hispanic, etc. My wife would have a better idea, since she works in the public school system here.

I've heard about some racist encounters people have had here in Valpo, but I've never witnessed an example personally. Some of it's out & out hatred, but then some of it is just stupidity on the part of some of us white folks who haven't known a lot of non-white folks...

You could ask Gregory Jones, and I'm sure he could give you a better answer. He's a prof at Valparaiso University and the pastor of Union Community Church. And he's black. You should be able to find him in the phone book or using Google or something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:34 pm 

Rich:

Not a Valpo resident, but since the board is not exactly bubbling with activity, maybe I could hijack your thread to start a discussion about an old restaurant that my folks took me to once in a while?

The place was not in Valpo, but it was close enough that folks in Valpo would have known about it. You may be too young to remember the place, but it was called "Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner." I couldn't even remember the exact name of the place, until I started doing some research, but I knew its name had "Johnson" in it somehow. I couldn't remember where it was either, but I have learned that it was on Route 6, just west of the intersection of Route 6 and Indiana 49.

I grew up in Hammond, and once in a while Mom and Dad took me after church on Sundays to Mrs. Johnson's. My visits to that place would have occurred during the late 1950's and through the mid 1960's.

I remember how ravenously hungry I would get by the time we drove from Hammond to the restaurant, waited for a table, and then waited for our food. I thought I was going to die!

Anyway, I am very interested in learning more about Mrs. Johnson's Chicken Dinner. What year did it open? When did it close? Who were the owners (was there really a "Mrs. Johnson?")? From the name of the place, they obviously specialized in chicken, but what else did they have on the menu, and what was especially good there? I really can't remember what I would order whenever we went there, just that I would be hungry enough to eat the tablecloth.

Can anyone give me some info about Mrs. Johnson's?

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:09 am 

just found this forum, I'm in unincorporated valpo (Union Township). Having problems with local government, need help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:47 pm 

former resident. I moved about 15 years ago