Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:28 am 

Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
However, I don't feel a strong need to try and influence
other people to think or believe the things I do.

No of course you don't....you simply resort to name calling, cheap insults, insinuations and throwing childish temper tantrums when others don't conform to your frame outlook on life...

Besides, you're a union hack so you wouldn't know an original idea if it kicked you in the face...others have been running your life since the day they deducted your initiation fees...

Come on Moby, this sounds like a couple of other posters on here too. The point of this thread was to lighten things up. Tom wants positive things to read not all this negative stuff.

I started a Thanksgiving thread to try and lighten things up but "our" usual pain in the ass started his negative crap on it right away so that was the last post to it.

Not everyone on here is negative about things but it seems if you aren't talking politics nobody wants to talk about much else. Actualy I am sick of all the politics. This is not the time of year for politics. The election is over. Lets start thinking of the upcoming holidays and be happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:03 pm 

Party:

Where is that Thanksgiving thread you started? I would be glad to participate in it. I certainly have MUCH to be thankful for.

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:24 pm 

Tom J wrote:
Party:

Where is that Thanksgiving thread you started? I would be glad to participate in it. I certainly have MUCH to be thankful for.

Tom

It's in Northwest Indiana Forum. It's about half way down the page. Like I said, only our little buddy posted to it and everyone else has left it alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:15 pm 

party42 wrote:
Moby Grape wrote:
sparks wrote:
However, I don't feel a strong need to try and influence
other people to think or believe the things I do.

No of course you don't....you simply resort to name calling, cheap insults, insinuations and throwing childish temper tantrums when others don't conform to your frame outlook on life...

Besides, you're a union hack so you wouldn't know an original idea if it kicked you in the face...others have been running your life since the day they deducted your initiation fees...

Come on Moby, this sounds like a couple of other posters on here too. The point of this thread was to lighten things up. Tom wants positive things to read not all this negative stuff.

I started a Thanksgiving thread to try and lighten things up but "our" usual pain in the ass started his negative crap on it right away so that was the last post to it.

Not everyone on here is negative about things but it seems if you aren't talking politics nobody wants to talk about much else. Actualy I am sick of all the politics. This is not the time of year for politics. The election is over. Lets start thinking of the upcoming holidays and be happy.

Well...not only do I agree with Moby, I also understand the need to stay on top of politics...because it effects our daily lives, not just during election time. Now that the elections are over it is our job to make sure our elected officials are doing what they should be doing.

I get a lot from this group. I have grown to appreciate all aspects of our conversations...deep and shallow.

We have more fun than most boards can shake a stick at! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:03 pm 
Banned

i agree with tony. no disrespect to you tom but much of life in northwest indiana relates to politics here. for some property taxes have jumped as much as 1500 percent (no that isnt an extra zero) in the past 4 years.

but that said i think there certainly is more to life in nwi than just politics. and on behalf of all of us i apologize for when the political talk or personall disputes get in the way of non related topic threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:51 pm 

the oracle lives here wrote:
i agree with tony. no disrespect to you tom but much of life in northwest indiana relates to politics here. for some property taxes have jumped as much as 1500 percent (no that isnt an extra zero) in the past 4 years.

but that said i think there certainly is more to life in nwi than just politics. and on behalf of all of us i apologize for when the political talk or personall disputes get in the way of non related topic threads.

Speaking of property taxes jumping outta this world...Tom, I'm sure you could appreciate the anger coming outta the people who have made their homes here, if you'd compare it to the people between rivers. Same results, different tactics :?

People before us suffered for the improvement of future generations...and we are doing it, and someone after us will do it and so on. Some things need to be handled aggressively...and I can think of no better place to do it than this message board. It has a larger than large audience...and the shutdown ought to tell you something about the power of the people that contribute to it.

I think you bring good things to the board, and I enjoy reading along as you walk down memory lane with the other people you grew up with, and I find it refreshing.

Have you tried connecting through Classmates or tried any yahoo groups? I can't help but get the feeling that you still haven't found what you're looking for...but wish you luck! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:24 pm 

Tom J,

Hey don't give up on us. I think most of the posters are ok. Some I think just like getting a rise out of people. I think most of us do like the positive memories you bring to the table. I got one for ya. Was it bus 4A or 4B that went to Whiting from Downtown Hammond. Correct me if i'm wrong I think it was one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:50 pm 

Deadwood2 wrote:
Tom J,

Hey don't give up on us. I think most of the posters are ok. Some I think just like getting a rise out of people. I think most of us do like the positive memories you bring to the table. I got one for ya. Was it bus 4A or 4B that went to Whiting from Downtown Hammond. Correct me if i'm wrong I think it was one of them.

Beats the heck out of me, Deadwood. I rode the buses very few times, and I never rode from Whiting to Downtown or vice versa. I was usually able to catch a ride, but I often just walked where I needed to go.

I appreciate your encouragement and that of a few others. I'm not going anywhere, as far as I know.

I understand the frustration better now, since some of you have explained the property tax travesty to me. I don't blame you guys one bit for being upset.

Still, I hope we can have some "fun" threads mixed in with the serious stuff???

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:57 pm 

i think alot of us come on these boards to vent...now just think about it for a sec...

what happens when you usually want to discuss something? You talk with someone, they present arguments, you argue back. This goes on and on of course leading nowhere, but why do we do it? It doesnt get us anywhere. Surely we dont expect to make a democrat a republican or vice versa just by our arguments?

We argue and bring up negative topics to get it out of our systems. We come home from work (or school) or dealing with our families all day and we just want to vent. And who are the people that will always listen and argue back? US! That's why we are here! To DISCUSS!! Sure it may be arguing and bickering, and listening to express drive us all insane. But honestly, if we didnt like it we wouldnt be on here right?

As many times as i shake my head at express's comments, it's interesting to argue and listen to the guy. Really, it is.

It's not all negative though. Mama has parties, BJJ brought us awesome pictures and gif's, and we had numerous "game" threads going on on the Times boards. These boards are just like the real world...Once you leave Lake County, a light shines ahead. There's just no escaping it. It's like glue or something. Something about these boards is addictive and just gets us to stay here.

So turn that frown upside down Tom, we are here because of everyone else on these boards. Right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:06 pm 

Johnny Boy wrote:
i think alot of us come on these boards to vent...now just think about it for a sec...

what happens when you usually want to discuss something? You talk with someone, they present arguments, you argue back. This goes on and on of course leading nowhere, but why do we do it? It doesnt get us anywhere. Surely we dont expect to make a democrat a republican or vice versa just by our arguments?

We argue and bring up negative topics to get it out of our systems. We come home from work (or school) or dealing with our families all day and we just want to vent. And who are the people that will always listen and argue back? US! That's why we are here! To DISCUSS!! Sure it may be arguing and bickering, and listening to express drive us all insane. But honestly, if we didnt like it we wouldnt be on here right?

As many times as i shake my head at express's comments, it's interesting to argue and listen to the guy. Really, it is.

It's not all negative though. Mama has parties, BJJ brought us awesome pictures and gif's, and we had numerous "game" threads going on on the Times boards. These boards are just like the real world...Once you leave Lake County, a light shines ahead. There's just no escaping it. It's like glue or something. Something about these boards is addictive and just gets us to stay here.

So turn that frown upside down Tom, we are here because of everyone else on these boards. Right?

:D Very good Johnny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:13 pm 

Thank you, check out my thread on the Northwest Indiana boards, i think it's a little fun thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:15 am 

edited

Last edited by paul87920 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:40 am 
Banned

Yes, there IS something wrong with most of the posters here. I really can't place it yet, but I have a lot of ideas why most here have pea size brains, and can't count unless someone is telling them what to say. I guess now that the repbulicans have lost everything, I think this is the REAL reason why many posters here a negative. Too bad, I say! I'm a happy person, and that's all that counts here on the forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:52 am 
Banned

well if you want to psychologically profile average board users i think they fall into a few obvious categories.

1)(this applies to mostly non posters) curious onlookers who are looking for information and want to know whats going on in their part of the world

2) people who want to participate in local politics and events but havent found a way to have any impact....that have found a voice and audience willing to listen to their ideas here.

3) people who are looking to kill some time while their latest computer program downloads or favorite tv show comes on.

4) people with personal agendas trying to manipulate people into agreeing with them.

5) people who want to help their fellow regionites in anyway possible and honestly believe the region has an optimistic future.

personally ive use these message boards for all 5 reasons at one time or another. and im sure many others have as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:14 am 
Banned

I agree with that, a little more detail than mine opinion, however, I was only talking about present posters. But you gave an outside view as well, very good!