Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Read anything good.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:47 pm 

:twisted:
Hey everyone. I found my way back. I guess that I won't have to worry about losing track of this thread for a while.
I just finished reading A Salty Piece Of Land by Jimmy Buffett. It's based on a character from one of his short stories in his book Tales From Margaritaville. It was quite enjoyable, however, I didn't think that it was as good as his Where is Joe Merchant?
I'm out of new books right now, and I haven't had a chance to go to the bookstore, so I'm rereading some oldies but goodies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:15 pm 

You know, I always wanted to contribute to this thread on the other forum but never did because my recommendations were a bit OT.

You see, my recommendations are not books, but blogs.

There are two in particular, that I have found to be a must read every day.

The first is by a sitcom writer named Ken Levine.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/

Here is his most impressive resume.

Quote:
Name:
Ken Levine

Ken Levine is an Emmy winning writer/director/producer/major league baseball announcer. In a career that has spanned over 30 years Ken has worked on MASH, CHEERS, FRASIER, THE SIMPSONS, WINGS, EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND, BECKER, DHARMA & GREG, and has co-created his own series including ALMOST PERFECT starring Nancy Travis. He and his partner wrote the feature VOLUNTEERS. Ken has also been the radio/TV play-by-play voice of the Baltimore Orioles, Seattle Mariners, San Diego Padres.

The second is an anonymus waiter in an Italian Bistro in NYC.

http://waiterrant.net/

Hillarious and dead on, find out what it is like dealing with the public and celebrities day in and day out.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: Read anything good.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:02 pm 

Mephisto wrote:
so I'm rereading some oldies but goodies

speaking of oldies but goodies.. if you've never read it, pick up 1984.. one of the best classics of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:53 pm 

:arrow:

Last edited by (The Real) Tony Bananas on Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:31 pm 

Arc, keep them coming. It doesn't matter to me whether it's a good book, or a good blog, or even a different message board. Speaking of which, if you like movies I recommend the message board at IMDB.com. However, you do have to register just to even read them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:38 pm 

Mephisto wrote:
Arc, keep them coming. It doesn't matter to me whether it's a good book, or a good blog, or even a different message board. Speaking of which, if you like movies I recommend the message board at IMDB.com. However, you do have to register just to even read them.

I am a member at IMDB, if you enjoy that, try this.

http://televisionwithoutpity.com/

Archives and forum are in the drop down menu in the upper right hand corner.

No membership is necessary.

Also the best TV Blog on the web is here.

http://www.tvsquad.com/

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:43 pm 

Hey glad Meph ressurected this thread.
And, I was just starting the last scentence of Ulysses! I'll put it down now!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:11 pm 

Hey Hermann, glad you found us here. We're still missing a few posters, like Firefly and Sherlock. Ulysses huh, by Joyce? Never actually read it myself, seems a bit heavy for me, but hey, I'll give it a try. I'll try most anything once.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:24 pm 

Actually, I never read it -- I don't think anybody has ever willingly read it!
None of the lit classes I took every required it!

The last sentence is something like 60 pages long!

I'm bouncing around right now - reviewing some of the new young adult authors. It's junk. There's a new group of "young adult" authors out there that have targeted an lucrative market in writing teen reads. The problem is -- the real teens these books are appropriate for (15-18yrs) aren't interested in reading these books. The kids that are interested are the 10-14yr old group -- and these books are basically PG-13 to R rated --including language - and nudity! Stuff that most parents wouldn't want their 10yr old to be reading.

I sound like an old fart!

Anyway, I've got Angels and Demons as my next choice, for my pleasure!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:55 pm 

hermann muenster wrote:
Anyway, I've got Angels and Demons as my next choice, for my pleasure!

Good read. I think they're in preproduction for the movie version. but still a good read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:14 pm 

Yea, there was a mention of the upcoming movie during the coming attractions on the DaVinci DVD.

I liked DaVinci -- I thought everyone got all wadded up over a treasure hunt story/murder mystery! Dan Brown and his wife did a great job weaving fact and fiction together. The weave was so tight sometimes you couldn't tell the two apart!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:22 pm 

Wow. I just have to tell you all, yesterday I came across a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird, finished reading it today. I was floored, it is a masterpiece, I think that I can honestly say that it left me emotionally drained. And on a creepy side note, I found the book yesterday, started reading it today, and the answer to Final Jeopardy today was, yep, you guessed it, To Kill A Mockingbird. Scary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:05 pm 

Creepy!
I've read that book a couple of times throughout my life. As a matter of fact - I'm due for a re-read! Each time I read it - it reads differently! A masterpiece - you are right!
I wonder why Harper Lee didn't ever write anything else.

Here's another book that reads differently each time you read it -- Oprah had it on her list -- it's not new -- The first time I read it was in H.S. and that's a loooooong time ago --- For $1000.00,

What is............

Night, by Elie Wiesel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:23 pm 

Happy Turkey Day Everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:31 pm 

Mephisto wrote:
Wow. I just have to tell you all, yesterday I came across a copy of To Kill A Mockingbird, finished reading it today. I was floored, it is a masterpiece, I think that I can honestly say that it left me emotionally drained. And on a creepy side note, I found the book yesterday, started reading it today, and the answer to Final Jeopardy today was, yep, you guessed it, To Kill A Mockingbird. Scary.

Oddly enough, I just read that book for the first time this summer. I picked it up at a freesale (as opposed to a yard sale) That book was absolutely one of the best I've ever read.

Harper Lee didn't publish anything else, as far as I know. However, she did assist Truman Capote (who is the little blonde haired boy in To Kill a Mocking Bird) in researching the In Cold Blood.