Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Visclosky believes he's boss, to dictate instead of serve
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:10 am 

In the congressman's guest column today he states: "I believe one of these transformational investments is to improve and expand the South Shore Rail Line in this region.

"I consider this a generational imperative."

I, I, I, I, I, I...Not one mention of what WE, WE, WE, WE, WE the People of the First Congressional District believe. Visclosky comes on like the People are utterly subservient to his beliefs, desire or his will. This is a usurpation, a subversion of the representational authority governing our democratic processes.

When he finally does invoke his Principals, it is to lash them with his subjective and utterly self-serving criticism. "We have failed to fully integrate ourselves into the $500 billion economy and 4 million jobs offered by Chicago. We have been spectators as portions of the economy and jobs of the city-state of Chicago have found fertile ground north, west and south. We have failed to provide our own mechanisms to draw young professionals to Northwest Indiana."

We have failed? Why, because the People of the first congressional district chose, and continue to choose, not to pursue a course of development that necessarily entails an increase in population growth & density? Maybe we, the People of the First Congressional District of Indiana, PREFER the wide open spaces and room to encroaching RE developments; rooms with a view, instead of encumbering local tax dollars to further support a government subsidized commuter train in the cause of gentrified suburbanization.

Just cuz Pete's says it is so, doesnt make it so, nor does justify use of local economic development taxes to advance likely white flight.

"We have lacked initiative and therefore, we are fewer, poorer and older. Between 1970 and 2012, the population of Lake County fell by 9.6 percent, the median income decreased by 15.3 percent, and the median age increased by 43 percent. Why is this so?"

We have lacked initiative? Really? Because we have opted to keep things as they and for any expansion to remain dependent on necessity instead of induced by artifice and the opportunity costs of artificial demand? Visclosky forgets his place. He is elected to represent the People of the First District, not dictate to them.

"These trends are occurring because we have been unable to retain and attract young people in Northwest Indiana. Young professionals are choosing to live elsewhere, including Chicago and its environs in Illinois."

Really? Citizens are stampeding to Illinois? Lol. That'll be the day, given Illinois financial shortfalls and taxes. This is specious. And why is Pete so keen to circumvent another referendum vote on this?

We need to put Visclosky in his place. He is drunk with the arrogance of power.