Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Subliminal slight?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:14 am 

“United spokesman Jeff Kovick said Gary's terminal was closed at that late hour, and the airplane was the safest place for the 123 passengers traveling from Denver to Chicago.”

Who in the Gary administration is going to respond to this statement which should also come under investigation?

http://www.post-trib.com/news/997030,gunited.article

Post subject: Re: Subliminal slight?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:44 pm 

Well, for telling the truth? Have you forgotten that Gary, Indiana is usually in the running for murder capital of the nation? I am sure it is offensive to those who live in Gary, but from a logical standpoint, it is the truth. If it bothers you that much, maybe you should be more active in lowering the crime rate.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:21 pm 

new.resident wrote:
Well, for telling the truth? Have you forgotten that Gary, Indiana is usually in the running for murder capital of the nation? I am sure it is offensive to those who live in Gary, but from a logical standpoint, it is the truth. If it bothers you that much, maybe you should be more active in lowering the crime rate.
Assumption made, first since you are new to the board based on the name and second assumption that I’m not involved in making Lake County not just Gary a better community. But don’t over look the fact that because it is said makes it so, your reference if based on FBI documents overlooks their disclaimer. But distorted information invites embellishment that people “Usually” overlook. The first report stated they were on the plan for twelve hours. See ya at the next council meeting?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:44 am 

Distorted information will always distort the view of a person. The subject of that one quote was not enough. I thought about it lastnight, and it was probably during a storm. We all know the best place to be during a storm-on top rubber. If you are a leader and you would like to draw people into fighting for your cause, you should really consider being more thorough in your attempts. It would help you prevent confusion. Then again, it gives us some insight as to why things are such a mess in Lake County.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:50 pm 

Your opinions are based on two local papers, if not from the area, the bases of any confusion or opinion is not a single cause or issue. But that is what caused you to mention Gary’s title, based on other distorted data. I won’t see you at the next council meeting. Hope you didn’t miss United’s explanation of their first statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:12 pm 

So, Gary doesn't have a high murder rate? I know that I won't go there if I don't have to go there. You are blaming people for protecting themselves from harm. There is nothing wrong with that.

Here is a thought. The crime level of any community can be linked with the amount of corruption in the government of that community. I have learned that from experience and personal research. I know people who lived in Gary before it got so bad. They watched as the corruption allowed crime to rise. The leaders were too busy making money, so the people suffered the consequences.

No, I won't be at your meeting. I am still working on the corruption in LaPorte County, which has become nearly as bad as Lake County.

When you give very little information about your cause in any statement, you will cause more problems than you will fix. I am not involved in Lake County to be honest with you. My opinion was based solely on the one quote you placed. If you want to stir people, you will have to be more thorough in your approach.

Good Luck to you.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:38 am 

This is actually the 1st I've heard of this. But I also didn't know the airport had already been granted "International" status either. So far not 1 international flight and really today it's nothing more than a regional airport anyway.

This event sounds pretty dumb even for Gary. Was it perhaps because they didn't have a union certified worker on hand to move the stairs or something? Or because they weren't expecting anyone and had no staff for security? In which case they couldn't find a couple of city cops to pitch in?? I know why! Because there was no union janitor to service the facilities at that time. :lol:

I'm surprised they even had someone in the tower to help land the plane.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:02 am 

Quote:
This event sounds pretty dumb even for Gary. Was it perhaps because they didn't have a union certified worker on hand to move the stairs or something? Or because they weren't expecting anyone and had no staff for security? In which case they couldn't find a couple of city cops to pitch in?? I know why! Because there was no union janitor to service the facilities at that time.
You should read the article. United dropped the ball on all points in question: not having a detailed plan for diverted flights. By mentioning Gary there was an automatic assumption that it was Gary’s fault as you are assuming.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:54 am 

I read the link. But airport operations is the responsibility of the airport not the airline. Should the airline have gotten buses there sooner? Keep in mind that this was an emergency weather landing at an airport they don't normally service. But the airport terminal should have been available since Gary wants to be an emergency alternate option.

More poor planning by Chris Curry and his no cut Golden Parachute can be thanked for keeping those poor folks cooped up aboard.

Kovick said United officials asked the airport's on-duty operations manager to open the terminal, but airport director Chris Curry said the airport was never contacted.

I'm not buying it. I think UAL followed procedures but Curry and his team was asleep at the wheel. A jet lands at Gary at that time of night but no one even contacted the airport staff, if not the board President? You'd think someone from the airport would have had a number to call somebody on their own to keep "the on-duty operations manager" apprised of the situation.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:13 am 

I
Quote:
'm not buying it. I think UAL followed procedures but Curry and his team was asleep at the wheel. A jet lands at Gary at that time of night but no one even contacted the airport staff, if not the board President? You'd think someone from the airport would have had a number to call somebody on their own to keep "the on-duty operations manager" apprised of the situation.
The fact that the airport was closed is Over-looked. (1)No plan for diverted flights of which the responsibility falls where? (2)United didn’t not contact the proper personnel.(3) United didn’t do a follow-up to insure that the issue was resolved. (4)United tried to place the blame on others. And as of to date what has been done to correct the problem? Lack of communication and poor planning no different than the Jet Blue aircraft on the runway in New York. Gary was slighted which is the issue. The status of Gary or what you think about Gary is irrelevant; passengers were on the air craft for six hours. They could have made individual travel arrangements and gotten home sooner, unilateral blame is marvelous. And still no passengers’ rights bill.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:00 pm 

No, they COULD have had a couple of cops come down to the terminal for security and let the passengers be more comfortable. I have no idea where you get this individual travel arrangement idea from.

If Gary is no better prepared than this for emergency use then it needs to lose it's emergency designation. Quit trying to give a free pass to that joke of an airport board.

As for the time involved I'm a bit surprised that they didn't just takeoff and continue to the original destination once the weather cleared. I can only speculate as to why but I wonder if a lack of fuel and no means to get any at Gary played a part there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:26 pm 

It is time for a change this last incident take the cake.

From the Gary jet center where the plane was parked to the board some heads must roll.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:14 pm 

Geronimo wrote:

From the Gary jet center where the plane was parked to the board some heads must roll.
Neither he nor the reporter of the story asked the questions of a diverted flight plan. He’s not looking at the entire picture, ignoring passenger responsibility, which falls on United. Action needs to be taken is correct, starting with Passenger Bill of Rights

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:42 am 

BTLs wrote:
Geronimo wrote:

Neither he nor the reporter of the story asked the questions of a diverted flight plan. He’s not looking at the entire picture, ignoring passenger responsibility, which falls on United. Action needs to be taken is correct, starting with Passenger Bill of Rights

The community loses and I agree there needs to be a passengers bill of rights!

I think I would have open the emergency door an jumped out!

Any passenger should have the right to escape while sitting on the tarmac.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:56 pm 

Quote:
I think I would have open the emergency door an jumped out!
Individual travel arrangements shouldn’t become that drastic, let’s hope we don’t get to that point. Six hour communication gap says a lot about safety of any kind. Post 911.