Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: The Fallout from McDermott's Minions 7/17/08
PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:47 pm 

There was a time, in fact not that long ago, when the complaints by critics of Mayor Mac, say, like Freetime or Wes Miller and/or Geo Janiec went largely ignored by me. I attributed their discontent to a strong difference of political ideology and world view. Indeed, Mayor Mac was given sort of presumption of innocence, and most certainly the benefit of any doubts. Not anymore.

What I've learned over the past few weeks, as result of post deletion/suspension issues and Mayor Mac's failure to come out and publicly condemn this conduct, is that the minions are out to create a police state here in Hammond. A state of municipal thought control. The minions have been psychologically infected and suffer from a fundamental confusion about Mayor Mac and his governmental authority.

Mac's Minions believe that because Tom McDermott, Jr., as mayor of Hammond, is vested with authority that he IS an authority about anything and everything on which he believes, opines or thinks. That if Mayor Mac says it's so, why, by God, it is so, as a matter of fact.

Well, in other circles, this sort of [con]fusion is called conflation (that is, being vested with certain governmental powers conferring authority and possessing that degree of expertise, in any given field, qualifying one as possessing expert authority - are two different things).

Believing McDermott to be pragmatically infallible has caused his minions to become absolutely - and dangerously - contemptuous of any perspective other than that declared by the Mayor. This contempt and the Mayor's condoning of it, has fostered a political perversity encouraging his minions to restrain and disallow the opinions, thoughts, and publicly voiced beliefs of his fellow citizens here in Hammond. Indeed, some of the minions have even taken it upon themselves to declare what's kosher political comment and/or opinion and what isn't and first amendment be damned. I can't say i blame them, what with the Mayor on WJOB, outright dismissing the exercise of 1st amendment comment on chatboard blogs as graffiti.)

Naturally, i won't deign to speak for everyone, but as for me, I will no longer simply dismiss the positions and opinions of those factions at odds with Mayor Mac. No. Not anymore. The presumption and benefit of the doubt have been withdrawn and I'm even thinking maybe folks like Jimmy Premeske, Wes Miller and/or Geo Janiec at least are half right about Mac. Yes, I'm thinking that barebones victory by less than 500 votes last November may not have been a fluke.

I wonder, how should Mayor Mac be greeted anymore? Do we all need to practice clicking our heels together and swear an oath of absolute filiality like Oracle?

This town is in real trouble.