Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Vote for the usual county suspects, you deserve this...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:20 am 

LoisLane wrote:
So, what is wrong with rounding up a couple hundred fugitives? I don't see your point.

Quote:
The Sheriff's Department says 332 people were arrested, 142 of whom are were fugitives.
Nice, blatant twisting of the numbers here, Lois. So, 190 other people, who were NOT fugitives, were arrested, for what? Probably at least a few who questioned the "authority" of some or any aspect of this militaristic domestic police force. Probably most of them couldn't believe it could happed here in this "free" [ROFLMAO] country.

Quote:
Hundreds of dollars were seized and drugs recovered,
Must not have been much or they would have wrote about it
Quote:
and 1,292 traffic violations were handed out.
Sounds more like martial law practice and a fund raiser.

For this it took "Law-enforcement agencies in Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas took part in what was described by local [government lap dog] media as "an anti-crime and anti-terrorism initiative" involving officers from more than 50 federal, state and local agencies."???

How many terrorist did they catch? 0, nota one.

Read my signature:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:31 am 

So, 190 other people, who were NOT fugitives, were arrested, for what?

For breaking the law. Duh!

I don't think anybody understands why you are concerned with the task force without knowing of any reason to believe there was entrapment involved or that the charges were somehow not valid. Some others only got traffic citations.

Is your concern that laws are being enforced or that people are being caught in the act red handed or both?

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:59 am 

Mirage wrote:
The Sheriff's Department says 332 people were arrested, 142 of whom are were fugitives.

Huh? When can we have a raid like that?

I don't get your point. Sounds to me more like an outstanding warrants check but with more man power than usual. Assuming the records are up to date it's not a bad thing to take 142 fugitives off of the streets.
It sounds good, just like it is supposed to. Hell, you even want one it sounds so good.

One problem with multi-jurisdictional task forces:
The Constitution spells out who has authority and where.

You know who you can hold responsible if, say, if a ninja masked local police force wearing, no name tags (like most police now) with only the word "POLICE" across their backs, breaks into your home in the middle of the night and a local police officer goes overboard and slips his finger into your fourteen year old daughter while "frisking" her for weapons of mass destruction. You have a better chance of finding out who it was to press criminal and civil charges in your jurisdiction. You can hold your sheriff or local police chief responsible.

Now, a multi-jurisdictional (multi-state, including the feds) ninja masked task force breaks into your home in the middle of the night and the same thing happens. Who are you going to hold responsible?
#########################

As far as the warrants, most larger police departments have a warrants division, understaffed, overburdened because of the amount of cases being sent to them by the courts, but they have them.

Ease their burden by ending the war on some drugs and viola! Suddenly, we have more than enough police to do all the work of catching real criminals that actually cause people harm, time in the courts to hear real criminal cases and the space to keep real criminals out of society so the citizens can be safe. What a concept!

Last edited by maddmaxx2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:02 am 

Ah...that's not what this was.

I actually share some of your concerns about no-knock warrants. They need to be reserved for the worst of the worst and exercised very sparingly, like a well documented terrorist cell for example. Not for some kid with 10 ounces of pot to sell. That much we can agree on.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:53 am 

Mirage wrote:
So, 190 other people, who were NOT fugitives, were arrested, for what?
For breaking the law. Duh!
You don't know that. I'll bet a lot of those charged will have their cases dismissed as soon as they show up for court.
Mirage wrote:
I don't think anybody understands why you are concerned with the task force without knowing of any reason to believe there was entrapment involved or that the charges were somehow not valid. Some others only got traffic citations.

Is your concern that laws are being enforced or that people are being caught in the act red handed or both?
Gee, what about the options you're NOT mentioning, like false arrest, multi-jurisdictional task forces are unconstitutional, these excersizes are being used to make the citizens adjust to living in a police state?

I'm concerned because I have witnessed so much abuse of authority it would make you a believer.

I have also been a victim and I have been watching the road this country is traveling down.

Have you ever questioned the authority of an officer, refused orders and stood up to an officer on Constitutional grounds or even reminded an officer that he/she was a public servant?

I have, and reactions depend on the stability of the officer on that particular day. I've been threatened, arrested (charges dropped at first court appearance) and even thrown on top of the trunk of a police car so hard a man and his wife (with children in the backseat) who witnessed the entire confrontation, yelled at the officer "Hey, leave him alone, he didn't do anything." Which the officer responded to by threatening them.

The federal government should not be allowed the authority over the states that they are enjoying because of the strings attached to grants and many other bribes, extortion, etc., of the states.

THE FOUNDING FATHERS FORBID A NATIONAL POLICE FORCE, A STANDING ARMY, FOR DAMNED GOOD REASONS AND YOU ARE WITNESSING THOSE REASONS COMING TO FRUIT!!!

Last edited by maddmaxx2 on Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 am 

I'm concerned because I have witnessed so much abuse of authority it would make you a believer.

No, I've been to East Chicago, Indiana. I'm already a believer. I just find no indication that the cowboy treatment you speak of occurred in this task force cited. And you fail to offer any credit for the apprehension of the fugitives.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:49 am 

Mirage wrote:

No, I've been to East Chicago, Indiana. I'm already a believer. I just find no indication that the cowboy treatment you speak of occurred in this task force cited.

Law-enforcement agencies in Tennessee, Mississippi and Arkansas and more than 50 federal, state and local agencies.

Mirage wrote:
And you fail to offer any credit for the apprehension of the fugitives.
You have fallen for their bait.

It is better that ten guilty escape
than that one innocent suffer.
Sir William Blackstone
Commentaries on the Laws of England, 1765