Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: $100 Eviction Charge a Bad Idea
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:19 pm 

http://nwi.com/articles/2008/10/16/news ... 0e7978.txt

I have to side with the landlords on this one. This is ridiculous!

What's the point of paying property taxes when services are all seemingly going a la carte? :roll:

What is this money actually going for anyway? It's time to start looking at severe cuts in the Sheriff's Dept budget and instead all they come up with is a new way to tax. :x

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: $100 Eviction Charge a Bad Idea
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:07 am 

This is ridiculous !!! :x The landlord is doing the right thing by evicting the deadbeats/troublemakers, and he is getting penalized for it ! :x

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:51 am 

I am beginning to be more troubled that there hasn't been more comment on this topic. Please don't tell me that most posters are at least passively in favor of this! :roll:

For all the complaints of landlords on taxation and city government they have a fair gripe on this one. And what does this money go towards anyway? We want to reduce the bloated spending in government, not find new ways to pay to keep the practice going.

You know on a different note but still within the sheriff's budget authority I have been asking why Lake County isn't working out a deal with Porter County to house prisoners to ease overcrowding at the county jail but it seems like the sheriff and perhaps the council too are more committed to building a brand new building rather than accept an option that can be implemented overnight. Just another example of why I don't think these political hacks have the best interest of the people at heart. :evil:

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:43 pm 

Now, you've entered my realm...

The reason they cannot ask Porter County is because the manger is full there too.

One of the few growth industries in all these united States are prisons and so-called law enforcement. Both already take over one third of government spending at every level city, county, state and federal.

Choose your crime priorities more wisely. If they're out chasing drugs and prostitutes, they can't be out chasing robbers, rapists, murderers and other violent thugs.

But hey! YOU want to control semi-normal human behavior over keeping real violent criminals off the streets, it has a price tag, and quite a large one at that.

You haven't seen anything yet, wait until they start jailing all the dissidents too. That's not very long from right now either. They're going to need that new building.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:55 am 

Its a crock, but its exactly what I thought would occur when the County Council went against the state and refused to enact the income tax

Just wait, there will be more and more "fee's" coming in Lake County

This is no better than that jackass sheriff in Illinois who refuses to do what a court orders him to do as well

This should be repealed, and honestly, if the landlord had to take someone to court to order them out, you really think they are going to recoup the money?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:12 am 

Mirage wrote:
What's the point of paying property taxes when services are all seemingly going a la carte? :roll:
You're right. That's the same thing I said when they started charging for garbage pickup too.

Mirage wrote:
What is this money actually going for anyway? It's time to start looking at severe cuts in the Sheriff's Dept budget and instead all they come up with is a new way to tax. :x
Oh no! You're being "soft on crime!" That is EXACTLY what comes out of law enforcement's mouth as soon as you mention cutting their budget. I say cut, or at the very least, freeze them and prioritize what you want them to accomplish. Then watch them like a hawk.

Last edited by maddmaxx2 on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:02 pm 

There is a difference Maxx. In Hammond the collection expenses for trash are all a la carte. In the case of all the Sheriff's new proposed a la carte fees we already pay taxes for them. Now if he wants to remove all those costs from the property taxes and just go a la carte for everything I suppose that would be a different matter. :D

Someone mentioned charging the criminally accused for being arrested. It seems that's already going on, but I think shouldn't be. Booking fees are becoming more common and in Munster they charge you something like $25 (or is it $50) just for a copy of an accident report. :roll:

In Cal city they can even slap excessive fines on you for playing your radio too loud in your car before you ever see a judge or a courtroom, which is in addition to the expense of having your car towed and any penalties the judge may impose. That's just wrong. What? They couldn't just make that part of a minimum sentence if found guilty by a court? That actually scares me!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:42 am 

mike3775 wrote:
This is no better than that jackass sheriff in Illinois who refuses to do what a court orders him to do as well
Are you speaking of the sheriff in Cook County who is refusing to evict innocent renters without proof of proper notification? I applaud his actions and wish there were more in government just like him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:05 am 

Mirage: I wish they would fine that little SOB who lives in my neighborhood and blares his stereo in his car so loud that my house vibrates. Or for him installing speakers in his friends cars from his garage and then they all start playing their radios. If you don't mind the noise, I'll be glad to send them to your neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:25 am 

Lucie wrote:
Mirage: I wish they would fine that little SOB who lives in my neighborhood and blares his stereo in his car so loud that my house vibrates. Or for him installing speakers in his friends cars from his garage and then they all start playing their radios. If you don't mind the noise, I'll be glad to send them to your neighborhood.

I have no problem with a judge imposing that fine. What I object to is being presumed guilty before trial, as I said when the Cal City law was being discussed. If you want your car back you have to pay both towing fees and the fine before you go to court to perhaps have even more punishment added on.

But why bother sending the offenders my way? the police CAN intervene. Did you call them?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:34 pm 

Always on the outside looking in. Making judgment based on things you know nothing about. The police are not your personal servants to be used for running your slum lord business. This is why this fee is being considered, because this "service" is out of control.. Police are not doing police work anymore, they are doing crap like this and raising your kids and refereeing you marriage(s).
There currently are so many cuts in place by our wonderful "my man Mitch" that no agency in Indiana can afford to operate. Sure there is no doubt that there is "fat" in local government and a lot of things going on that shouldn't be, however you need to pick your battles. What about your tax dollars, why haven't the tax bills gone out again? If you didn't get a pay check for months, how would you survive, but these agencies have been operating with no tax draws for the past several years, on and off with this state and its political crimes. Now Mitch wants his hands on ALL the taxpayers money and is starving local government and you people think this man is saving you money, yeah right. Tell me how much he is saving you when you get your next tax bill and when you start paying a local county income tax this year or after the elections.
These people work for a living just like you and can't continue to "make a living" with cuts. This area has grown far beyond the infrastructure, that is the bottom line. People need to be asking the STATE where this money is at, because it's not coming back into the NW and if it is then someone is stealing it, in major proportions.
All you people do is complain and complain about the cost of operation her in NW Indiana and have no real clue what is really going on. This isn't NW Indiana anymore it's south Chicago w/ a hill jack Indiana mentality. You want to stop something or complain about something, stop this growth w/ no financial base or infrastructure to support it. You people b!tch and complain whenever you see spending or an article about the police, but you have no clue what is going on in the political world and how many scams and how much waste is going on there. You won't read in the newspaper what is going on down state and what "my man Mitch" is doing with you money. Think about what the police are really here for, or should be, all the other crap is just that, crap. Wake up people.

Last edited by Proud Pig on Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:45 pm 

Mirage wrote:

You know on a different note but still within the sheriff's budget authority I have been asking why Lake County isn't working out a deal with Porter County to house prisoners to ease overcrowding at the county jail but it seems like the sheriff and perhaps the council too are more committed to building a brand new building rather than accept an option that can be implemented overnight. Just another example of why I don't think these political hacks have the best interest of the people at heart. :evil:

It's just so easy isn't it Mirage... So now it's the Sheriff's fault (I'm no fan of the Sheriff) that we need more jails because of all the criminals and the broken down justice system. So now we should drive out to Porter County to put people in jail? More criminals being housed by the taxpayers means more jails. Blame the legal system and the politicians, not the Sheriff. But it's easier for you to blame the front man isn't it. How about blame society, if people didn't break the law they wouldn't be in jail and you wouldn't have to pay for it, but that's life and in this ignorant society it's never going to change. You know if the police responded to all the abuse and comments made every day by you people, you'd all have something to complain about. I can just imagine you people in our shoe's trying to do a job that is impossible to do with all the great support by the armchair taxpayers.
Mirage, an honest question. Since I've been around on both boards I've noticed somehting about you. This is a straight forward question, can you give a straight answer.
What really is your problem with the Police?

With Max it's pretty simple, he's a common thug and a druggy who's had more run-ins with the police than he can recall. It's easier for him to b!tch and complain about the simple law than to follow it. You on the other hand I can't figure out because you tend to "ride the fence" a little.

Last edited by Proud Pig on Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:55 pm 

maddmaxx2 wrote:

Choose your crime priorities more wisely. If they're out chasing drugs and prostitutes, they can't be out chasing robbers, rapists, murderers and other violent thugs.

But hey! YOU want to control semi-normal human behavior over keeping real violent criminals off the streets, it has a price tag, and quite a large one at that.

I don't really know why I'm going to bother, but hey what the hell. People serving real time in the county jail are not serving it for getting caught with a bag of weed or a little cocaine for personal use. After all, you aren't in jail are you Max? What's the longest time you've served for one of these related arrests? Yeah, that's what I thought. So based on your theory we shouldn't jail anyone for a "minor crime", but only robbers (who are drug users), murders (who are drug users) and rapists (who are drug users) and other violent thugs (who are drug users).
Fact, these people in jail belong in jail and a great number of them should NEVER be released into society at all. The fact is the punishment is not harsh enough to deter crime. After all its America, the only country where you can murder a cop in cold blood and be set free. (or take any life for that matter)
No need for me to say anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:01 pm 

mike3775 wrote:
Its a crock, but its exactly what I thought would occur when the County Council went against the state and refused to enact the income tax

Just wait, there will be more and more "fee's" coming in Lake County

This should be repealed, and honestly, if the landlord had to take someone to court to order them out, you really think they are going to recoup the money?

You are wrong! The entire state is facing these budget problems, in fact the whole world is. Do you read the newspaper, or do any fact finding before you comment? Porter County has had to make more cut backs than Lake County and they have been paying county income for years. The fact is that Mitch is putting the screws to ALL local government in the state because he wants ALL the $$ for himself. Imagine what a nightmare that will be. One man in charge of all your $$ and you think there is corruption now. Good luck to you people, you asked for it and now you will get it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:10 pm 

maddmaxx2 wrote:
Mirage wrote:
You're right. That's the same thing I said when they started charging for garbage pickup too.

Mirage wrote:
Oh no! You're being "soft on crime!" That is EXACTLY what comes out of law enforcement's mouth as soon as you mention cutting their budget. I say cut, or at the very least, freeze them and prioritize what you want them to accomplish. Then watch them like a hawk.

First I agree w/ the garbage service, now you are onto something. If you live inside city limits you are paying for this service in your taxes.

Then you again get lost because of your personal hate for the Police. "Freeze budgets", yeah Max I agree you don't deserve a raise either! You people are so ignorant that you can't see past your own personal vendetta, rather than sounding intelligent and reasonable. The one thing that is wrong in police work is that the police can't do their jobs because they are spending to much time doing things that are not or should not be their job, just like the topic of this entire post. Or like as I said already, raising your kids or managing your marriage. Once again, comments made by people who have no clue, sitting back from the outside looking in and people like you and Mirage that have a personal vendetta and will NEVER be happy with anyone related to law enforcement. Maybe someday you can admit that fact.