Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: $100 Eviction Charge a Bad Idea
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:51 am 

Proud Pig wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Yea right. Like most landlords ever see a dime of that back rent. Then there's the court costs. I think it's a good thing for both parties to have the cops there to keep order during the eviction process. Their time is already paid for in property taxes. As for your neighbor why don't you call the cops? Or are you afraid they'll want you to pay a fee to come out and measure sound levels? :P

Obviously you rent. Are you a "slum lord" Mirage? I typed a great number of responses to you on this topic and so far I got no reply. I don't get how you feel this "civil service" is owed to you at the cost of the taxpayers. In one breath you want the Sheriff to cut cost and in another you want these types of costly services provided to a person in a PRIVATE business making a profit. In other words you want to utilize the police to strong arm your business problems. I don't care how it has been done in the past; this is not what the taxpayers should be paying for. It is also not the taxpayer’s problem how the landlord comes out financially. If I am a business man and enter into a private contract with someone and that someone screws me it's a civil matter. I can not use the police to bail me out. It's that simple. It's like you say to me or the police.... If you don't like your job get out, find another. If you don't like being a landlord, sell.

By your logic if a business catches a shoplifter they outta pay a convenience fee for the cops to come pick them up. LOL

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:13 am 

Proud Pig wrote:
Lucie wrote:
I have called the police, unfortunately by the time they get here the stereos are turned off. The police say they can't do anything unless they hear the noise. I think they have a police scanner in their garage. But that is okay because one of these days they will get what is coming to them. And yes, I have talked to the mother but she thinks her son isn't doing anything wrong. I think she is afraid of him and her husband.

Eviction notices are delivered by the Sheriffs Department not local police. So the money goes to the Sheriffs Department. I still don't see any problem with paying the fee.

Yes Lucie the police do have to hear it, same with any type of infraction.
You don't ALWAYS need to depend solely the police like they want you to believe. "Police" was once only known as a verb.

The sound level may be hard to prove, but with most crimes you can even make the arrest yourself, if you have the evidence (witnesses and/or video camera) to back you up in court.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:07 am 

Mirage wrote:
"tough on crime"

Whatever you think about the national effort against drugs I think the criminals in Lake County, IN are actually criminals even by your definition Maxx. The fact that the county jail is overcrowded is a big problem. The irony is there's plenty more bad guys who should be serving time and still more that only serve a fraction of what they deserve and are back out on the streets partly because there's no room to house them.
The system is screwed. "According to one study, in 2005, four out of five drug arrests were for possession while one out of five were for drug sales. The crime history for three-quarters of drug offenders in state prisons involved non-violent or drug offenses."

FACTS ABOUT THE PRISON SYSTEM IN THE UNITED STATES
October 2007
http://webb.senate.gov/pdf/prisonstwopager.html

On Thursday, October 4, Senator Jim Webb will conduct a Joint Economic Committee hearing to explore the steep increase in the U.S. prison population.

RATIONALE FOR HEARING

The hearing entitled “Mass Incarceration in the United States: At What Cost?” will host a number of experts in the field to examine the reasons behind this growth in the prison population, whether it correlates with decreases in crime, the economic costs of maintaining the prison system, the long-term labor market and social costs of mass incarceration, and policy solutions that can alleviate this crisis while maintaining public safety.

KEY POINTS
- * The United States has the highest reported incarceration rate in the world. While the United States currently incarcerates 750 inmates per 100,000 persons [This has since increased to 1000 per 100,000 or 1 out of every 100 -MM], the world average rate is 166 per 100,000 persons. Russia, the country with the second highest incarceration rate, imprisons 628 per 100,000 persons. Compared to its democratic, advanced market economy counterparts, the United States has more people in prison by several orders of magnitude. Although crime rates have decreased since 1990, the rate of imprisonment has continued to increase.

- The U.S. prison system has enormous economic costs associated with prison construction and operation, productivity losses, and wage effects.

- The prison system has a disproportionate impact on minority communities.

- Much of the growth in the prison population is due to changing policy, not increased crime. Many criminal justice experts have found that the increase in the incarceration rate is the product of changes in penal policy and practice, not changes in crime rates. Changes in sentencing, both in terms of time served and the range of offenses meriting incarceration, underlie the growth in the prison population.

- Changes in drug policy have had the single greatest impact on criminal justice policy. The Anti-Drug Abuse Act of 1986 created mandatory minimum sentences for possession of specific amounts of cocaine. The Act instituted a 100-to-1 differential in the treatment of powder and crack cocaine, treating possession of 5 grams of crack cocaine the same as possession of 500 grams of powder cocaine. The United States Sentencing Commission found that African-Americans are more likely to be convicted of crack cocaine offenses, while whites are more likely to be convicted of powder cocaine offenses Mandatory minimum sentences for low-level crack-cocaine offenders are comparable (and harsher in certain cases) to sentences for major drug dealers.

* - The composition of prison admissions has increasingly shifted toward less serious offenses, characterized by parole violations and drug offenses. According to one study, in 2005, four out of five drug arrests were for possession while one out of five were for drug sales. The crime history for three-quarters of drug offenders in state prisons involved non-violent or drug offenses.

- Prisons are housing many of the nation’s mentally ill.

- America faces an epic problem of re-entry. The number of ex-offenders reentering their communities from state and federal prisons increased fourfold in the past two decades. On average, however, two out of every three released prisoners will be rearrested and one in two will return to prison within three years of release.
[Here's another kicker: When someone on probation or parole fails a drug test and gets sent back to prison, it is categorized as a probation or parole violation and NOT counted as a drug offense. In other words it has been made almost impossible to get precise statistics showing the actual number of people in prison solely for drugs. -MM]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:53 am 

For now let's just worry about Lake County, Indiana. At least we have a little influence on what happens here, tiny though that influence may be.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:38 am 

Mirage wrote:
Proud Pig wrote:
Mirage wrote:

Yea right. Like most landlords ever see a dime of that back rent. Then there's the court costs. I think it's a good thing for both parties to have the cops there to keep order during the eviction process. Their time is already paid for in property taxes. As for your neighbor why don't you call the cops? Or are you afraid they'll want you to pay a fee to come out and measure sound levels? :P

Obviously you rent. Are you a "slum lord" Mirage? I typed a great number of responses to you on this topic and so far I got no reply. I don't get how you feel this "civil service" is owed to you at the cost of the taxpayers. In one breath you want the Sheriff to cut cost and in another you want these types of costly services provided to a person in a PRIVATE business making a profit. In other words you want to utilize the police to strong arm your business problems. I don't care how it has been done in the past; this is not what the taxpayers should be paying for. It is also not the taxpayer’s problem how the landlord comes out financially. If I am a business man and enter into a private contract with someone and that someone screws me it's a civil matter. I can not use the police to bail me out. It's that simple. It's like you say to me or the police.... If you don't like your job get out, find another. If you don't like being a landlord, sell.

By your logic if a business catches a shoplifter they outta pay a convenience fee for the cops to come pick them up. LOL

Apparently Mirage doesn't understand the difference between the police making a criminal arrest vs. civil matters. I prefer that police are out on the street arresting bad guys instead of helping slumlords evict people. The $100 fee is a good decision.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:27 am 

Mirage wrote:

Are you for real Mirage. If you steal property it's theft, a crime. This is not a civil contract, the store owner did not enter into a contract with a merchandise thief. There is no point in attempting to have any type of intelligent conversation utilizing common sense with you people. Look again at what I wrote and again at what you wrote Mirage, you sound more and more like Max and the other cop hater freaks out here. Maybe you should just stick to "cut & paste" like them. Once again, it's not about what is obvious, because you simply have a problem with the police and simply can't admit it.

Last edited by Proud Pig on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:31 am 

maddmaxx2 wrote:

A policeman's job is only easy in a police state.
I see your day is on the horizon pee pee.

Your response is that I "b!tch and complain about the simple law." Look Pig, you have forgotten who you work for? Oh yeah, see above.

Yeah Freak you are right! You've always been right. I am wrong, you know my job and how I perform it, you know me! It's my job to shine your shoes. Go find some more freak propaganda to cut & paste.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:36 am 

maddmaxx2 wrote:

The sound level may be hard to prove, but with most crimes you can even make the arrest yourself, if you have the evidence (witnesses and/or video camera) to back you up in court.

This is REALLY good advice, I would act on it immediately. Do you believe the crap you type, oh yeah you do.. Max, why is it that being so smart you've never really amounted to anything? Why didn't you at least become a defense attorney,, or some well known wealthy activist. Could never really follow through with anything could you, easier just to sit around b!tching isn't it. Or giving other people advice, advice that even you yourself wouldn't follow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:40 am 

Mirage wrote:
For now let's just worry about Lake County, Indiana. At least we have a little influence on what happens here, tiny though that influence may be.

He can't talk about Lake County, Indiana because he doesn't know what he’s talking about. It's much easier to steal, or cut & paste propaganda that you search for on Google, then act as if you can converse intelligently about something you know nothing about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:56 am 

Mirage wrote:
I'm sure these numbers also reflect near the same for Lake County as well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:02 pm 

sparks wrote:
I prefer that police are out on the street arresting bad guys
I almost spit my coffee on all over my keyboard!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:12 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
Mirage, you sound more and more like Max and the other cop hater freaks out here.
I've said it too many times: I don't hate cops, I hate pompous thugs who act under color of law. There is a definition to this, for those who do not know, Google "under color of law."
Proud Pig wrote:
Maybe you should just stick to "cut & paste" like them.
I address in another post below.
Proud Pig wrote:
Once again, it's not about what is obvious, because you simply have a problem with the police and simply can't admit it.[/color]
I admit it, see above.

If it walks like duck and carries a doughnut, it's a pig. Damn, I kill me, that's too funny!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:23 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
maddmaxx2 wrote:

A policeman's job is only easy in a police state.
I see your day is on the horizon pee pee.

Your response is that I "b!tch and complain about the simple law." Look Pig, you have forgotten who you work for? Oh yeah, see above.

Yeah Freak you are right! You've always been right. I am wrong, you know my job and how I perform it, you know me! It's my job to shine your shoes.
I know the public's perception of what they are paying you to do and I know what you actually do. I am right and you damn well know it. That's why you won't come up with any intelligent arguments when issues arise and I ask you questions. You know you would either have to tell the truth or lie and get caught.

"I was just doing my job" didn't cut it at Nuremberg either.

Proud Pig wrote:
Go find some more freak propaganda to cut & paste.

Pee pee's reference to "freak propaganda" came from: http://webb.senate.gov

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:40 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
maddmaxx2 wrote:

This is REALLY good advice, I would act on it immediately. Do you believe the crap you type, oh yeah you do.. Max, why is it that being so smart you've never really amounted to anything?
You say I didn't. What is your definition of "amount to anything?" You mean collect expensive material items?

"I coulda been somebody, I coulda been a contender."
--Marlon Brando, On the Waterfront
I really could have been somebody and more often now I wonder if that is the road I should have traveled. Instead, I dedicated my life, my fortune and my sacred Honor to pursuing liberty for all of us.
Proud Pig wrote:
Why didn't you at least become a defense attorney,
After coming down with myasthenia gravis, I didn't think I would live this long or I may have become exactly that.

Proud Pig wrote:
or some well known wealthy activist.
I didn't write a book, yet. (BTW, I am looking for someone who might be able to help me in this area) But, there was one written about me. Well, not exactly about me, but I am mentioned throughout and have an entire chapter entitled "Madd Maxx" written by an established author.

Real activists don't get wealthy off activism. If they don't already have money they're not going to make any there. It is more unappreciative than your job with less pay. There was even a time when I had ate out of a dumpster because I had spent my food money on flyers for an event I felt was too important for the public to miss.
Proud Pig wrote:
Could never really follow through with anything could you, easier just to sit around b!tching isn't it. Or giving other people advice, advice that even you yourself wouldn't follow.
I wouldn't give advice I wouldn't follow myself. Opportunity has been the only piece missing.

Last edited by maddmaxx2 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:46 pm 

Proud Pig wrote:
Mirage wrote:

He can't talk about Lake County, Indiana because he doesn't know what he’s talking about. It's much easier to steal, or cut & paste propaganda that you search for on Google, then act as if you can converse intelligently about something you know nothing about.
Ahem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next