Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Philpot Wants Pay Raises for Part Timers
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:07 am 

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 9f2fb.html

Coroner seeking part-time pay hikes
Philpot the only official in county to make request

CROWN POINT | Lake County Coroner Thomas Philpot is seeking a $4 hourly raise for certain part-time personnel working in his office, although it was unclear Thursday how many would benefit.

The pay raise would boost part-time pay from $8 to $12 an hour.

Philpot was alone Thursday in asking the council for any pay hikes given the county's financial crunch. The Lake County Council's cost-cutting and hiring freeze saw most department heads appearing at the council's Thursday workshop seeking primarily the replacement of employees who have retired or resigned.

Philpot did not return a telephone call from The Times inquiring into the proposal, which will be considered at the County Council's regular meeting Tuesday.

Council members said Philpot explained the request by saying it was hard to get certain part-timers in his office to respond to late-night or early-morning response calls for only $8 an hour.

Philpot's employees are included in 37 categories of part-time county positions that are paid designated hourly rates ranging from as low as $7.25 an hour for an accounting clerk to a high of $150 an hour for attorneys involved in bond or other special litigation.

I guess it depends on who all would these raises be for. If it's really just for those on pick up duty I doubt many people would be willing to work for $20 an hour, much less $12. I'm more shocked that someone works for $8 now. Now if that's the only personnel benefiting from the raise I'd be inclined to approve if that would actually correct the problem. I'd definitely be opposed to giving it to office workers or $150 an hr lawyers too when other departments are facing cuts.

What kind of bond work do lawyers do for the coroner's office anyway? I can understand the need for defending the department against lawsuits questioning if proper procedures were used but other than that the terminology used by the writer seems pretty broad.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: Philpot Wants Pay Raises for Part Timers
PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:31 am 

Speaking of Philpot.....

I noticed that Philpot has covered most of the vacant lots and abandoned buildings with his political signs.

This guy is an absolute JOKE !!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:09 pm 

Tom, did I run for that office yet?, Philpot

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:59 pm 

newt_fan wrote:
Speaking of Philpot.....

I noticed that Philpot has covered most of the vacant lots and abandoned buildings with his political signs.

This guy is an absolute JOKE !!!!

I wonder if the property owners can sue him for uncollected rent? Seems like the signs alone are proof of a verbal contract to me. :smt003

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.