Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Seaton Loses Driving Privileges
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:55 am 

Does the Lake County Assessor have to drive to properties to assess them?

Carol Ann Seaton, the Democratic nominee for the Assessor's office, has been informed by the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles that her drivers license will be suspended for a year AFTER she proves she actually lives in Indiana.
Her Indiana vehicle title and registration are also suspended for the same time period.
The question arises from her simultaneous drivers licenses she held in Michigan and Indiana. Her vehicles were registered using the address of a vacant lot she does not own in Union Pier, Michigan.
I for one am not convinced Seaton Lives in Indiana, which I think is very relevant for a political candidate.
She has challenged the candidacy of Hank Adams, a Republican also seeking the Assessor's office. The LakE County Election Board, which has a 3 to 2 Democratic majority, will hear her challenge later this month. Here's the Post-Tribune story about all this:

http://www.post-trib.com/2663402,pt_1_S ... es.article

Post subject: Re: Seaton Loses Driving Privileges
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:50 pm 

I would assume that position requires A LOT of driving, which if she has her license suspended, she can't fulfill her duties in her job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:59 pm 

That's what I think too Mike.
No license, no car, no office.
Plus, I'm not at all sure she lives in Lake County.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:37 pm 

I'm not sure she lives in the state, the BMV has the same suspicions.

Funny thing is, I think the state has dropped the ball on this issue, because when I moved last time, I had to jump through so many hoops to change the drivers license over to the new address, and had not yet received the first bills at the new address I had to wait 30 days to change the license over, or get verification via affidavits. Plus I had forgotten to check one box and they made me check the box before proceeding. So why wasn't that done in Seatons's case? Why did the Gary BMV "overlook" the procedures, and why was there no retraining of the employee who handled her transaction?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:30 pm 

I would be willing to bet ten to one that the Gary BMV didn't overlook nothing. They knew what they were doing. I also believe is she is still going to be in this race. The Gary vote for her will be bigger than ever. The reason being. They, the Gary voter will see this situation as OUTSIDERS picking on the Gary SISTER. I listen to the Gary radio station WLTH 1370 AM. Just about 98 percent of the talk is very,very much pro Seaton. Gong back to my point. OUTSIDERS picking on a sister. Mcdermott is in a tough spot.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:47 pm 

bigdog wrote:
I would be willing to bet ten to one that the Gary BMV didn't overlook nothing. They knew what they were doing. I also believe is she is still going to be in this race. The Gary vote for her will be bigger than ever. The reason being. They, the Gary voter will see this situation as OUTSIDERS picking on the Gary SISTER. I listen to the Gary radio station WLTH 1370 AM. Just about 98 percent of the talk is very,very much pro Seaton. Gong back to my point. OUTSIDERS picking on a sister. Mcdermott is in a tough spot.

Yep sadly you are right I think. the area is so anti Gary a gary native cant get a fair shake.

its easy for McDermott, go on the record as saying he is against her being on the ballot, and when she refuses, he is clean(as clean as a t*** can be anyways)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:17 pm 

mike3775 wrote:
I would assume that position requires A LOT of driving, which if she has her license suspended, she can't fulfill her duties in her job.

That's when she'll ask, and be granted, a driver to get her around.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?