Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: Lowell passes smoking ban.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:51 pm 

sparks wrote:
Lowell became the third city in NWI to ban smoking in public places.
http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2751648,locouncil0928.article

It is delightful to go to bars or a bowling alley and not have to take a shower and hang up my jacket in the garage because of the cigarette smell. I usually only go to bars in in Illinois now, and only go to restaurants in Indiana that have a no smoking policy (Aurelio's, Don Pedro's, most fast-food restaurants). I am noticing that more and more places are taking the initiative on their own, and I will support those business's. I will not eat in a restaurant that allows smoking.

I will lock her up! (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will repeal Obamacare (DIDN'T HAPPEN)
I will make Mexico to pay for the wall. (NO...WE ARE)
I will surround myself with the best people! (MOST ARE UNDER INVESTIGATION)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:01 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Another good reason not to live there.

Don't you live in Crown Point?
Localities in Indiana with smoking bans that do not include all bars and restaurants:
Quote:
Crown Point, April 1, 2008, banned in all enclosed workplaces, including restaurants but exempting bars and private clubs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:45 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
Another good reason not to live there.

Don't you live in Crown Point?
Localities in Indiana with smoking bans that do not include all bars and restaurants:
Quote:
Crown Point, April 1, 2008, banned in all enclosed workplaces, including restaurants but exempting bars and private clubs.

In a 21 years old and over environment, adults are allowed to act like adults and not have to give up their rights to participate in legal activities with legal products.

The so called progressives are so quick to give up their rights as well as others.

Freedom of choice is what you've got, freedom from choice is what you want.

Me, I prefer to have more rights, not fewer.

Are you also behind Michelle Obama's desire to take away your choice in your dietary options?

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:34 am 

Are you also behind Michelle Obama's desire to take away your choice in your dietary options?

Let us be clear! She is only for changing YOUR dietary options. As long as she can chargeoff $20k meals in Europe to you she's not quite as picky about her own dining requirements. :lol:

One might say she favors you eating beans & hot dogs or bologna while she makes due on fresh shrimps with her pals.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:40 am 

chuckmo48 wrote:
sparks wrote:
Lowell became the third city in NWI to ban smoking in public places.
http://www.post-trib.com/news/lake/2751648,locouncil0928.article

It is delightful to go to bars or a bowling alley and not have to take a shower and hang up my jacket in the garage because of the cigarette smell. I usually only go to bars in in Illinois now, and only go to restaurants in Indiana that have a no smoking policy (Aurelio's, Don Pedro's, most fast-food restaurants). I am noticing that more and more places are taking the initiative on their own, and I will support those business's. I will not eat in a restaurant that allows smoking.

Banning smoking in bowling alleys is a horrible example for your argument. You notice bowling alleys are going bye bye, right? Were it not for the drinking, smoking crowd the lanes lose money. The weekend kiddie leagues help a little, but it won't keep the doors open.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:40 pm 

Two thirds of Hoosiers polled support a statewide smoking ban.
http://tribstar.com/local/x1644185804/Poll-Rural-Hoosiers-want-smoke-free-environment

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 7:50 pm 

I'm sure 2/3 of Hoosiers also think they pay too much in taxes to pay for the other 1/3 to have a free ride too. :lol:

The point is nobody is forcing people to go to a private establishment. I'm sure most would be favorable to a reasonable compromise that government imposition seldom considers. I remember when Florida put it's smoking ban in place they made the exceptions so ridiculous virtually no business applied. And no the now smoke free sit down restaurants did not prosper after the ban. They got by. Still barely do but more for economic reasons.

Do you remember why smoking was banned at HHS BTW? Nope, not because of age or because it was school property. It was because the cool kids used to hang out in the designated smoking room and a non-smoker felt left out and filed a complaint. It may not be the best example but it shows that is often the mentality. Makes about as much sense as the server who took a job at a bar only to suddenly discover some months later there's smoking going on and pushed for a smoking ban. Gimmie a break!

Did you know that neither of Chicago's airports have a designated area to smoke past security anymore? In fact at Midway you have to stand outside by the buses and suck in diesel fumes. But that wasn't bad enough. Now they have even removed the seats from the designated smoking area. O'Hare is the same thing except they put you in little booths so that diesel smoke REALLY gets to you. Not sure if they took out the seats or not. Last time I was there they were doing construction. So that is clearly an effort to discriminate against smokers for merely politically correct reasons. O'Hare had a room with separate climate controls. Such simple accommodations could be made like are in any civilized town.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:28 am 

It appears that sparkles and the 'mo', or some people very much like them, have been hard at work in Cincinnati, making the lives of others miserable so that their own delicate constitutions are not offended.

http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/tri-sta ... on_5179549

Some fans up in smoke over Reds' celebration

Posted: 09/30/2010
CINCINNATI - Even though the majority of the Tri-State is still riding high after the Cincinnati Reds won the National League Central Division championship, a group of people are upset after some players were seen smoking cigars in the team's clubhouse.
The Cincinnati Health Department confirmed Thursday that five people called the statewide smoking ban complaint hotline and that the team will be investigated for violations of the state smoking ban.
Numerous players could be seen on TV smoking cigars given out by Reds owner Bob Castellini Tuesday night after the team beat the Houston Astros to clinch its first playoff berth since 1995.
Health department spokesman Rocky Merz told 9 News the health department cannot rely on video and that a health inspector has to actually see someone in the act of smoking.
He added that under State law, a health inspector is required to go out and investigate. An initial violation would result in the Reds receiving a letter and no fine. If an inspector sees someone smoking for a second time, the Reds could be fined $100.
Merz added that Castellini will soon receive a letter informing him of the alleged violation.
Merz said the health department usually looks at repeat offenders and this particular incident is only a complaint that will be investigated. However, since the complaints were filed anonymously, inspectors will not be to conduct interviews.
Meanwhile, the Reds are currently the number 3 seed in the National League and slated to play at the Philadelphia Phillies when the playoffs begin next Wednesday.
What do you think? Do you have a problem with athletes celebrating with cigars in locker rooms?

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:35 am 

Precisely! I don't know what is dumber. The clown sitting at home watching TV worried that 2nd hand smoke miles away was a health hazard to him or the enforcement people claiming if we just have video proof then no infraction occurred. :smt003

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:07 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
The so called progressives are so quick to give up their rights as well as others.

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS | Gov. Mitch Daniels is ready to sign a statewide smoking ban into law if the General Assembly sends it to him.
"I would definitely sign one and there seems to be growing momentum for one," Daniels said
Quote:
The Indiana Chamber of Commerce supports the smoking ban.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/indiana/article_11601177-2b53-5f7a-a048-f5ada90da22b.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:06 pm 

chuckmo48 wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:

Quote:
INDIANAPOLIS | Gov. Mitch Daniels is ready to sign a statewide smoking ban into law if the General Assembly sends it to him.
"I would definitely sign one and there seems to be growing momentum for one," Daniels said
Quote:
The Indiana Chamber of Commerce supports the smoking ban.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/state-and-regional/indiana/article_11601177-2b53-5f7a-a048-f5ada90da22b.html

Funny you should mention it, the conservative have also noticed.

What Republicans should learn from Mitch Daniels failure in leadership

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke