Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lowell schools closed today because of gunman.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:06 am 

I think it sends a bad message to the kids to close the schools. It's telling the kids that our society isn't capable of protecting them.Is Lowell going to close up their schools whenever something like this happens? Given the way this guy has attacked people in quiet,residential areas, the children are at more risk at home than they are at school. How about placing an officer at school to protect the schools?

Post subject: Re: Lowell schools closed today because of gunman.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 am 

Oh gee Sparky, what do you know?

They chose not to take the advice of a fat union hack like yourself.

Quote:
Tri-Creek School Corp. in Lowell placed all schools on lockdown Tuesday as a precaution and chose to close all schools on Wednesday as the manhunt continues.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/lake ... 15efb.html

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:04 pm 
Banned

sparks wrote:
I think it sends a bad message to the kids to close the schools. It's telling the kids that our society isn't capable of protecting them.Is Lowell going to close up their schools whenever something like this happens? Given the way this guy has attacked people in quiet,residential areas, the children are at more risk at home than they are at school. How about placing an officer at school to protect the schools?

Hey slim, I expected you and your fellow grass patrol/Visclosky sign brigade cronies to be out looking for this guy. I'm sure a svelte, physically-fit, tough-as-nails, message board baaaaaaadaaaaaaaass like you who is so adept at hand to hand combat AND gunplay, would have no problem disarming a guy like this and taking him into custody. Hell, I'll bet you could just "stare" this guy into surrender.......or threaten to eat him.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:35 pm 

I don't blame the administration for erring on the side of caution. Better than being sued or having to offer crisis counseling because a student was killed on the way to or from school or at recess.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:27 am 

Is it just me or did the description & sketch seem like it could fit Hammond mayor Tom McDermott? Obviously he isn't the shooter. Just pointing out that the description was pretty vague. Also the schools, as it turned out, well could have become a target or even just the students on their way home. What scares me is the guy is rational enough to make small talk and then, exactly like a pouncing pit bull, strikes to kill with no warning. Also note that the 1st victims were barely more than children themselves in age. Such a senseless loss. :(

Since 911 & the Columbine High School massacre & many college shootings like Virginia Tech many schools & police departments have been going to a lockdown if there's the slightest chance the kiddies could be in harm's way. Any other time Sparkie would commend the efforts, so I'm figuring he or someone he knows was slightly inconvenienced by this preemptive action. Yet he vigilantly defends police roadblocks. Go figure. :roll:

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 am 

Mirage wrote:
Is it just me or did the description & sketch seem like it could fit Hammond mayor Tom McDermott? Obviously he isn't the shooter. Just pointing out that the description was pretty vague. Also the schools, as it turned out, well could have become a target or even just the students on their way home. What scares me is the guy is rational enough to make small talk and then, exactly like a pouncing pit bull, strikes to kill with no warning. Also note that the 1st victims were barely more than children themselves in age. Such a senseless loss. :(

Since 911 & the Columbine High School massacre & many college shootings like Virginia Tech many schools & police departments have been going to a lockdown if there's the slightest chance the kiddies could be in harm's way. Any other time Sparkie would commend the efforts, so I'm figuring he or someone he knows was slightly inconvenienced by this preemptive action. Yet he vigilantly defends police roadblocks. Go figure. :roll:

You missed the point of my comments. In the two attacks attributed to this gunman, both attacks have occurred in isolated areas. IMO, the children would be safer and easier to protect in a school setting. Since Lowell and the surrounding area contains isolated homes, the children were more likely to be attacked at their homes than in school. In regards to your comments about being scared of the gunman, I suggest you apply for your Indiana license to carry handgun permit. After you apply, go to Deb's and sign up for their NRA handgun class. They will teach how to use a handgun and defend yourself. Then, you would actually look forward to meeting up with a crazed killer and using your new found skills.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:24 am 

What scares me is the guy is rational enough to make small talk and then, exactly like a pouncing pit bull, strikes to kill with no warning.

Talk about missing the point! :roll:

Unless you grab for your gun every time a stranger walks up your suggestion is irrelevant. But when I typed that I actually wasn't thinking of myself but of the children and of the liberals who think owning a gun is a sin.

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:31 pm 

So now they have the shooter in custody. A policeman of all things. When I posted that they were working around the clock, I meant it. They got the guy early this morning and I mean early. I remember this guy from the Lansing PD. He floated around several departments because of residency rules. In today's world, you wonder who you can trust. I imagine it was hard on the investigators having to arrest one of their own. But they have come through with flying colors according to the evidence they have.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:38 pm 

newsflashkid wrote:
I imagine it was hard on the investigators having to arrest one of their own.

Why?

The guy is a psycho killer, who chose random members of the public as targets of opportunity.

What could be a more blatant betrayal of the public's trust by a person who's priority it is to protect them?

The obvious implication is that he hated the very people he was sworn to protect and that hatred eventually manifested itself in random gun violence against innocent citizens who were going about their ordinary work a day life.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 pm 

Wish I could say I was surprised but as you might have gathered from my tongue in cheek comment about the mayor I had a gut feeling it might be someone in a position of trust who was the shooter. Didn't know who obviously. Did think it might be a cop somewhere but didn't give it too much thought since he wasn't a better shot - thankfully.

As was said this situation has been made even sadder because the public has to have a level of trust that our police officers are protecting us and are not themselves the threat to our safety. But they are not gods. They are just men and women and sometimes people get broken emotionally and mentally. Thank God such a thing as cops going postal is as rare as it is!

Having said that I want to thank the 99.9% of the cops that endure the crap and still manage to keep it together. We appreciate your service. We don't always show it like we should but without you we'd be living in a war zone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:40 am 

They are just men and women and sometimes people get broken emotionally and mentally.

Didn't know how right I was did ya? Broken seems to be exactly the right word. It seems the Times is attributing a behavioral change following a fatal accident several years ago to account for the brokenness. This has me wondering how everyone missed the warning signs since several people are saying that's like the person they remember. Has me wondering if there's an effort to keep the death penalty off the table.

I love the quote by the dad yesterday that it couldn't be his son because they had never talked about bees. I laughed because I saw a 5 - 10 segment on African bees and their impact on European bees a few months ago and learned a few things I didn't know but that never comes up too often in conversation. I think he was just grasping at straws.

Admittedly we still don't know how the police came to identify this guy as the shooter. Until we hear more we can't be 100% certain that he is in fact the killer. Remember Richard Jewell? Still I think we all breathe a little easier because we trust the cops got their man, pardon the phrase.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:18 am 

Mirage wrote:
They are just men and women and sometimes people get broken emotionally and mentally.

Didn't know how right I was did ya? Broken seems to be exactly the right word. It seems the Times is attributing a behavioral change following a fatal accident several years ago to account for the brokenness. This has me wondering how everyone missed the warning signs since several people are saying that's like the person they remember. Has me wondering if there's an effort to keep the death penalty off the table.

I love the quote by the dad yesterday that it couldn't be his son because they had never talked about bees. I laughed because I saw a 5 - 10 segment on African bees and their impact on European bees a few months ago and learned a few things I didn't know but that never comes up too often in conversation. I think he was just grasping at straws.

Admittedly we still don't know how the police came to identify this guy as the shooter. Until we hear more we can't be 100% certain that he is in fact the killer. Remember Richard Jewell? Still I think we all breathe a little easier because we trust the cops got their man, pardon the phrase.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while. However, I think that even children can grasp that something is very wrong with anyone who randomly guns down people he doesn't know.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:24 am 

sparks wrote:
I suggest you apply for your Indiana license to carry handgun permit. After you apply, go to Deb's and sign up for their NRA handgun class. They will teach how to use a handgun and defend yourself. Then, you would actually look forward to meeting up with a crazed killer and using your new found skills.

THD wrote:
Hey slim, I expected you and your fellow grass patrol/Visclosky sign brigade cronies to be out looking for this guy. I'm sure a svelte, physically-fit, tough-as-nails, message board baaaaaaadaaaaaaaass like you who is so adept at hand to hand combat AND gunplay, would have no problem disarming a guy like this and taking him into custody. Hell, I'll bet you could just "stare" this guy into surrender .......or threaten to eat him.

Get in my belly!!!!

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:54 am 

newsflashkid wrote:
So now they have the shooter in custody. A policeman of all things. When I posted that they were working around the clock, I meant it. They got the guy early this morning and I mean early. I remember this guy from the Lansing PD. He floated around several departments because of residency rules. In today's world, you wonder who you can trust. I imagine it was hard on the investigators having to arrest one of their own. But they have come through with flying colors according to the evidence they have.

According to the Will County Sheriff, the officers were eager to arrest this guy. That shows the difference between a professional law enforcement officer and a tool like yourself who pretends to be an investigative reporter on a message board.
http://www.post-trib.com/news/2786114,new-manhunt1009.article
"It's always law enforcement's worst nightmare when someone within the law enforcement community chooses to break the law," Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow said at Friday afternoon news conference.Will County Sheriff Paul Kaupas said investigators were eager to arrest Dorian, regardless of his job as a cop."You cross the line, there ain't no camaraderie," Kaupas said.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:12 am 

newsflashkid wrote:
I imagine it was hard on the investigators having to arrest one of their own.

sparks wrote:
That shows the difference between a professional law enforcement officer and a tool like yourself who pretends to be an investigative reporter on a message board.

sparks wrote:

"It's always law enforcement's worst nightmare when someone within the law enforcement community chooses to break the law," Will County State's Attorney James Glasgow said at Friday afternoon news conference

Geez, sparkles – it’s so cute the way you use your very own posts to blow your very own arguments right out of the water.
Keep up the good work, my chubby little gunslinger.

Barack Obama