Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: China putting more money in USA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:06 pm 

For the first time watch China invest a great amount of money into the oil industry in this country. This is their first move in this direction, what happens from here, no one has a guess. Slow but sure we are loosing our country. More and more businesses are closing their doors daily. Will this coming election help the moral of the peole that has been broken? I feel at this point, we have people in Washington that are either dumb or they are out to destroy us. The China investment has something to do in Texas I learned.

Post subject: Re: China putting more money in USA
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:50 am 

Obama has proposed to Congress terminating the suspension of C-130 cargo aircraft export licenses to China.

Americans were never told about this proposed sale from our ''Dear Reader'' either

The Chinese media did it for him.

At least we now know where his overseas funding is coming from

vote against him and his ilk in November

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 am 

I remember Obama passing out handbills on Chicago streets years ago. He was nothing then but a flash in the pan so to speak about and his staff in Washington is nothing to rave about. Axelrod Jerrit and Emanueal are all of the same. I can't wait to vote 10 times in East Chicago this election. Oh I forgot. They have a new Mayor, maybe he won't allow that tactic anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:03 pm 

newsflashkid wrote:
For the first time watch China invest a great amount of money into the oil industry in this country. This is their first move in this direction, what happens from here, no one has a guess. Slow but sure we are loosing our country. More and more businesses are closing their doors daily. Will this coming election help the moral of the peole that has been broken? I feel at this point, we have people in Washington that are either dumb or they are out to destroy us. The China investment has something to do in Texas I learned.

When I read your prose, it is apparent to me that you are the one that is stupid. There is no way that anyone who writes so badly could have ever made a living as a reporter. Either you are lying or you have experienced some kind age related dementia.Your spelling and grammar are so bad that even high school papers wouldn't want your stories. Loosing, peole?sic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:09 pm 

Good Lord, splinks.

Don't you EVER shut up?

I'm surprised your fat-a$$ wife hasn't slit her wrists by now because you are such an insufferable litte prick.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 7:57 am 

sparks wrote:
When I read your prose, it is apparent to me that you are the one that is stupid. There is no way that anyone who writes so badly could have ever made a living as a reporter.

sparks wrote:
It's a tragedy that a talent of your caliber will no longer be heard om the local airwaves.

The sheer genius of creating a radio show devoted to solely to bashing the schools in Hammond was staggering.

Traditionally, Americans are hard working,industrious people who regard problems as new opportunities to discover solutions.

People like you change that dynamic with your angry inability to adapt to change,preferring to blame the government for your personal failures.

who the hell talks like this?

can you imagine what the people who have to put up with this clown everyday at work feel like?

The sheer genius of creating a radio show devoted to solely to bashing the schools

change that dynamic with your angry inability

LOL!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:02 am 

Chinese money isn't even the tip of the iceberg. The following is an excerpt from a book by Rolling Stone writer Matt Taibbi called, Griftopia: Bubble Machines, Vampire Squids, and the Long Con That is Breaking America . It will out next week beginning Nov 2:

Since 2005, at least 17 sovereign wealth funds have been created. As other countries grow their currency reserves, they will seek greater returns. Their growth has also been skyrocketed by rising commodity prices, especially oil and gas, especially between the years 2003–2008.

Sovereign wealth funds, or SWFs, are huge in the Middle East. Most of the bigger oil-producing states have massive SWFs that act as cash repositories (with holdings often kept in dollars) for the revenues generated by, for instance, state-owned oil companies. Unlike the central banks of most Western countries, whose main function is to accumulate reserves in an attempt to stabilize the domestic currency, most SWFs have a mission to invest aggressively and generate huge long-term returns. Imagine the biggest and most aggressive hedge fund on Wall Street, then imagine that that same fund is fifty or sixty times bigger and outside the reach of the SEC or any other major regulatory authority, and you've got a pretty good idea of what an SWF is.

Dr. Gal Luft, director of a think tank called the Institute for the Analysis of Global Security, would later testify before the House Foreign Affairs Committee about the rise of the SWFs. This is what he told the committee on May 21, 2008:

The rise of sovereign wealth funds (SWF) as new power brokers in the world economy should not be looked at as a singular phenomenon but rather as part of what can be defined a new economic world order. This new order has been enabled by several megatrends which operate in a self-reinforcing manner, among them the meteoric rise of developing Asia, accelerated globalization, the rapid flow of information and the sharp increase in the price of oil by a delta of over $100 per barrel in just six years which has enabled Russia and OPEC members to accumulate unprecedented wealth and elevate themselves to the position of supreme economic powers. Oil-rich countries of OPEC and Russia have more than quadrupled their revenues, raking some $1.2 trillion in revenues last year alone. At $125 a barrel oil they are expected to earn close to $2 trillion in 2008.

In fact, oil would go up to $149 that summer. Luft went on:

SWF are pouring billions into hedge funds, private equity funds, real estate, natural resources and other nodes of the West's economy. No one knows precisely how much money is held by SWFs but it is estimated that they currently own $3.5 trillion in assets, and within one decade they could balloon to $10–15 trillion, equivalent to America's gross domestic product.

Luft's analysis would square with a paper written by the San Francisco branch of the Federal Reserve Bank in 2007, which concluded that "analysts put current sovereign wealth fund assets in the range of $1.5 to 2.5 trillion. This amount is projected to grow sevenfold to $15 trillion in the next ten years, an amount larger than the current global stock of foreign reserves of about $5 trillion."

The San Francisco paper noted that most SWFs avoid anything like full disclosure, and there is little information available about what they may have invested in. One source I know who works at a Middle Eastern SWF explains that this is very much part of their investment strategy.

"They don't want publicity," he says. "They just want to make the money. That's one reason why you almost always see them buying minority stakes, as majority stakes would cause some countries to make issue of foreign ownership of investments. Sometimes it's multiple SWFs buying minority stakes in the same investment. But it's always thirty percent, twenty-five percent, and so on."

America, adds Taibbi, is quite literally for sale, at rock-bottom prices, and the buyers increasingly are the very people who scored big in the oil bubble. Thanks to Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley and the other investment banks that artificially jacked up the price of gasoline over the course of the last decade, Americans delivered a lot of their excess cash into the coffers of sovereign wealth funds like the Qatar Investment Authority, the Libyan Investment Authority, Saudi Arabia's SAMA Foreign Holdings, and the UAE's Abu Dhabi Investment Authority.

"Here's yet another diabolic cycle for ordinary Americans, engineered by the grifter class. A Pennsylvanian like Robert Lukens sees his business decline thanks to soaring oil prices that have been jacked up by a handful of banks that paid off a few politicians to hand them the right to manipulate the market. Lukens has no say in this; he pays what he has to pay.

Some of that money of his goes into the pockets of the banks that disenfranchise him politically, and the rest of it goes increasingly into the pockets of Middle Eastern oil companies. And since he's making less money now, Lukens is paying less in taxes to the state of Pennsylvania, leaving the state in a budget shortfall. Next thing you know, Governor Ed Rendell is traveling to the Middle East, trying to sell the Pennsylvania Turnpike to the same oil states who've been pocketing Bob Lukens's gas dollars.

It's an almost frictionless machine for stripping wealth out of the heart of the country, one that perfectly encapsulates where we are as a nation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:51 pm 

I mentioned China some time ago, where they would be a main part of our economy. In Washington they are watching China daily. Daily with fear. China is lowering the value of their currency. Watch what this does to our dollar. With the problems we and other countries have at present in regards to the economy, there isn't enough money in the world to solve our problem.This stimulas deal bombed. The money given out did not go to the expected place to improve our financial faults.I look for more of Obamas advisors to depart shortly. The heat is getting hotter in Washington. When in Asia, Obama made the trip on Airforce 1 TERM.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:24 am 

newsflashkid wrote:
I mentioned China some time ago, where they would be a main part of our economy. In Washington they are watching China daily. Daily with fear. China is lowering the value of their currency. Watch what this does to our dollar. With the problems we and other countries have at present in regards to the economy, there isn't enough money in the world to solve our problem.This stimulas deal bombed. The money given out did not go to the expected place to improve our financial faults.I look for more of Obamas advisors to depart shortly. The heat is getting hotter in Washington. When in Asia, Obama made the trip on Airforce 1 TERM.

China's currency is pegged to the dollar, with a very tightly banded float. The peg is artificially low and does benefit Chinese exporters. However the value of the Yuan or renminbi has very little to do with actual dollar value. Since, for all practical purposes, it is a pegged currency. It goes up or down with the dollar. So China is not lowering their currency, only keeping it artificially low.

The dollar does trade with many other currencies. Japanese Yen, Euro, Swiss Franc, Canadian Dollar, and Australian Dollar to name a few. The value of the currencies go up or down based on factors such as debt and economic growth.

The US policy has been a weak dollar one for a decade now. They try to weaken the dollar against other currencies in order to bolster exports. The problem is most other countries are trying to do the same thing. We have a global race to the bottom.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:19 am 

What a good worded explanation of the China situation against the money crunch. You put it plain simple words even a dummy like me can digest. Thank you.