Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: TECHNOLOGY WILL BE OUR DEMISE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:06 am 

Just about every place you look, you see someone talking on their cell phone while driving in their automobile, waiting for a bus, walking down the street or even shopping. The annoyance of the usage of cell phones in public places is prevalent throughout America. But there is an even more important concern about the usage of cell phones.

In 1980, I worked at a nuclear plant in Idaho Falls, Idaho. I was a Data Acquisition and Visual Display Systems Technician. I maintained the computers during simulations of nuclear accidents such as the accident in 1979 at the Three Mile Island Nuclear Plant when faulty instrument readings failed to instruct the nuclear operators that additional coolant was necessary for adequate cooling of the core. The incorrect readings triggered a catastrophic melt down of the core as a result of overheating.

Upon exiting the plant, the amount of accumulated radiation was monitored with a dosimeter which every employee had to wear. Once an employee reached a certain level of accumulated radiation, (which was a rarity), they were restricted from re-entering the plant. The amount of exposure was in the millirem levels. A very small amount.

When an individual uses a cell phone, their ability to talk and listen is made possible by a high-frequency radio signal being sent and received through the phone antenna. The antenna is usually less then an inch from their head. The oscillations of high frequency generates radiation.

Over an extended period of time, the concentration of radiation has to affect an individual in some way, shape or form. For simplicity, microwaves (a much higher frequency) are generated by a high frequency oscillator such as a magnetron tube which generates enough radiation to cook food in a microwave oven.

The same applies to the family of a home that is located near an electrical transformer sub-station that steps down high voltage to provide power to customers. The transformer step-down process is when a very high voltage coming across the top line on the pole is stepped down to 120 volts or what ever voltage is necessary. The magnetic field produced by the high voltage generates the radiation. It is not in the microwave range, but nevertheless, it is radiation. The family is cooking at a lower temperature. An Electrical Magnetic Shield (E.M.S.) would prevent the escape of radiation to surrounding homes and cell phone users.

I also worked as a Research and Development Technician at a manufacturer of AC/DC motors. In doing so, I observed the effect electrical magnetic interference (EMI) had on the functionality of electrical components without shields, compared to shielded components.

Unless some kind of shielding is implemented to protect users of cell phones (including myself) and residents who reside near electrical transformers, I feel the likelihood of cancer and tumor cases will quadruple in coming years.

There is no doubt the cell phone industry and Realtors with property near electrical transformer sub-stations believe this is “garbage,” or they are just money hungry and don’t care.

Dwight Taylor
Gary, Indiana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:55 pm 

Why does every newbie posting to this board feel the ned to cut and paste their post into every forum? here is so little traffic here that it will be seen without spamming it to every forum.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:19 pm 

Well at least he isn't claiming that Chesterton is ground zero for all that is evil in the world under every topic. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:17 pm 

Oops.....looks like he missed some places earlier.

Post subject: Re: TECHNOLOGY WILL BE OUR DEMISE
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:40 am 

This is great....