Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 157 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:00 pm 

That is NOT ME.
The road sign shown is in Washington DC
This whole picture is a photoshop job by Big Unit, who I have pointed out before as a deranged stalker who never ever stops trying to harrass me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 9:22 pm 
Banned

Why did you go on vacation to Washington DC in your take home vehicle? No wonder you got fired again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 am 

Why do you hate me, Big Unit?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 4:20 pm 
Banned

You started it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:43 am 

Hoe exactly did I start it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:20 pm 
Banned

You opened your mouth and sh*t poured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:16 am 

So you just decided on your own to deprive me of my freedom of speech?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:38 pm 
Banned

Big Unit wrote:
freetime wrote:
I LOVE to camp! It is one of my most favorite things in the world. Big Unit be damned!

Why did you take your city vehicle on vacation?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:54 pm 

freetime wrote:
That is NOT ME.
This whole picture is a photoshop job by Big Unit, who I have pointed out before as a deranged stalker who never ever stops trying to harrass me.

Wrong on both accounts, where the hell do you get Washington D.C.? And secondly thats my picture, I want credit for my beautiful work of you driving to Turkey run. Look how happy you are!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 4:41 pm 
Banned

I knew she went to Turkey Run and JJ has the picture to prove it. She had that suprised look on her face when she got busted in her city truck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:21 pm 

jjwasz wrote:
freetime wrote:
That is NOT ME.

Wrong on both accounts, where the hell do you get Washington D.C.? And secondly thats my picture, I want credit for my beautiful work of you driving to Turkey run. Look how happy you are!!

Wikipedia says its's in D.C, you moron:

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running!
Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Capital Beltway)
Jump to: navigation, search
Interstate 495
Auxiliary route of the Interstate Highway System
Length: 64 mi (103 km)
Formed: 1958
Beltway around Washington, DC
Major
junctions: I-295 near Forest Heights, MD
US 50 (I-595) near Glenarden, MD
MD 295 (Balt./Wash. Parkway) near Greenbelt, MD
I-95 near College Park, MD
I-270 near Bethesda, MD
SR 267 near Tysons Corner, VA
I-66 near Falls Church, VA
I-95/I-395 near Springfield, VA

Interstate 495 (abbreviated I-495) is a freeway-class interstate highway which circles Washington, D.C. and its inner suburbs in Maryland and Virginia. I-495 is widely known as the Capital Beltway or simply the Beltway, especially when the context of Washington, D.C. is clear. It is the basis of the phrase "inside the Beltway", used when referring to issues dealing with American government and politics. Interstate 95 utilizes the southern and eastern half of the Capital Beltway to circumnavigate Washington, D.C., and is cosigned with Interstate 495 along that route.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Counties traversed
o 1.1 Maryland
o 1.2 Virginia
* 2 Major cities
o 2.1 Maryland
o 2.2 Virginia
* 3 Route description
o 3.1 I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Maryland
o 3.2 I-495 in Maryland
o 3.3 I-495 in Virginia
o 3.4 I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Virginia
o 3.5 Traffic congestion
* 4 Exit list
* 5 History
* 6 Notes
o 6.1 Current works
o 6.2 Exit numbering
o 6.3 Cabin John Parkway
* 7 See also
* 8 External links

[edit] Counties traversed

[edit] Maryland

* Prince George's County
* Montgomery County

[edit] Virginia

* Fairfax County
* Alexandria (independent city)

[edit] Major cities

[edit] Maryland

* Forest Heights
* Glenarden
* New Carrollton
* Greenbelt
* College Park
* Silver Spring
* Bethesda
* Cabin John

[edit] Virginia

* Tysons Corner
* Falls Church
* Fairfax
* Springfield
* Alexandria

[edit] Route description

Because of the presence of I-95, I-495 technically begins at the College Park Interchange near College Park, Maryland and technically ends at the Springfield Interchange in Springfield, Virginia. However, because the signage of I-495 is continuous, and because the zero milepost of I-495 is concurrent with I-95's zero milepost at the eastern end of the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge in Maryland, the route is generally judged to begin there.

[edit] I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Maryland

The two routes, eight lanes wide, travel together over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and touch down in Prince George's County west of Forest Heights. I-95/I-495 immediately encounter the southern terminus of Interstate 295, known as the Anacostia Freeway, a route that serves downtown Washington D.C. and connects to the planned alignment of I-95 through D.C., Interstate 395. Passing through the interchange, currently under major reconstruction as part of the bridge replacement project, the two routes interchange with MD 210, a major north-south route into southern D.C. Beyond the MD 210 interchange (also under construction) the Beltway exits the eastern edge of the bridge replacement project.

The two Interstates continue along the Capital Beltway, interchanging with various local highways such as MD 5 and MD 4 on either side of Andrews Air Force Base, which the Beltway travels very close to near its northern edge. Turning north past the MD 4 interchange, the Beltway runs through Glenarden, interchanging with MD 202, US 50, and MD 450, the latter route offering access to the New Carrollton metro station and the New Carrollton metropolitan area.

Turning northwest the Beltway enters Greenbelt Park, intersecting the Baltimore-Washington Parkway in the northeastern edge of the park. Just after the B-W Parkway, the two routes interchange with MD 201, which connects to the southern terminus of the B-W Parkway at US 50 near the D.C. line. Now turned fully west, the Beltway runs through the northern edge of College Park, interchanging with the Greenbelt metro station's access roadway and US 1.

Beyond the US 1 interchange, Interstate 95 encounters its own route at the College Park Interchange and separates from Interstate 495 within this interchange. I-495 continues west, alone, on the Capital Beltway, while I-95 turns north onto its own planned alignment. The interchange includes access to a Park and Ride.

[edit] I-495 in Maryland

Continuing west from the College Park Interchange, I-495 enters a heavily developed and populated area. Passing underneath MD 212 with no interchange, the route interchanges with MD 650 near the George Washington Cemetery. After bisecting the Northwest Branch Park, the Beltway interchanges with MD 193 and US 29 south of Four Corners; the interchanges are little more than half a mile apart. Southbound US 29 is the main route into downtown Silver Spring.

Squeezing past Argyle Park and Sligo Creek Golf Course, the Beltway interchanges with MD 97 northwest of Silver Spring and follows an alignment formerly known as Rock Creek Parkway. Twisting along the alignment, through and around Rock Creek Park, the route interchanges with MD 185 near the National Naval Medical Center. Turning northwest, I-495 soon encounters the southern terminus of Interstate 270.

I-270 and I-495 split at a highly complex wye junction, with separate HOV connections to I-270's HOV lanes and separate ramps to and from MD 355 (formerly known as US 240). The old Rock Creek Parkway alignment follows I-270 north, while I-495 turns west and enters the only other six-lane segment of the Beltway still in existence; significant levels of traffic exit onto I-270 north, leaving the six-lane segment west of the split adequate.

Interchanging with MD 187, I-495 soon meets Interstate 270 Spur, the other side of the I-270/I-495 triangle. I-495 joins I-270 Spur at a converging wye junction; Inner Loop traffic exits from itself at the southern terminus of I-270 Spur, while Outer Loop traffic crosses the spur and enters it from the right. The two carriageways of I-495 temporarily widen to ten lanes and remain ten lanes as far as the MD 190 and Cabin John Parkway interchanges, where the route narrows to eight lanes again. Turning sharply to the west, I-495 meets the Clara Barton Parkway just to the north of the Potomac River, and soon crosses into Virginia over the American Legion Memorial Bridge.

[edit] I-495 in Virginia

Immediately after crossing into Virginia, I-495 encounters the western terminus of the George Washington Memorial Parkway at a trumpet interchange. Continuing south the Beltway interchanges with VA 193 south of Dranesville District Park, then reaches the massive triangle of interchanges between itself, the Dulles Airport Access Road, VA 267, and VA 123. The former interchange with the toll road is a directional interchange, while the latter is a cloverleaf; the entire complex occurs east of Tysons Corner, near the massive Tysons Corner Center shopping mall.

Now running south, the Beltway interchanges with VA 7, the Leesburg Pike, east of the shopping center; passing Dunn Loring to the east the route soon reaches the complex interchange with Interstate 66. In a similar setup as the I-270/I-495 interchange, dedicated HOV connections exist between I-495 and I-66, with many reversible and other directional ramps providing the remaining connections. There is no access between the Outer Loop and I-66 east at this interchange. Instead, Outer Loop traffic must use the eastbound Dulles Access Road exit three miles previous to travel to I-66 East. If a driver gets onto westbound I-66 at the Leesburg Pike (VA 7) entrance, the only choice for getting to northbound I-495 is to take I-66 West to the Nutley Street exit and then get back on I-66 East. A similar situation occurs for going from the Dulles Access Road at Chain Bridge Rd (VA 123) to southbound I-495. It is assumed that the driver will know to continue along VA 7 or VA 123 directly to the Beltway. Also, there are multiple ramps from I-66 east to the Inner Loop, with one ramp exiting from the left side of I-66 east and the other exiting from the right.

South of the I-66 interchange, the Beltway crosses under US 29 and VA 237 with no access, then encounters a large braided interchange between itself, US 50, and two local roads; the direct interchange between I-495 and US 50 is a full cloverleaf, while the braided local interchanges between I-495, US 50 and the local roads are modified SPUIs. The entire complex is bounded on the northeast side by Fairview Lake and on the southwest side by an office complex occupied by Mobil.

Continuing due south, the route interchanges with Gallows Road south of the Mobil offices, then skirts the eastern edge of Mill Creek Park before interchanging with VA 236 southwest of Annandale Community Park. Running along the eastern edge of Wakefield Park the Beltway turns southeast and interchanges with the nearly straight VA 620 before turning east near Flag Run Park and running into Springfield, meeting the Springfield Interchange southeast of the Shirley Industrial Complex.

[edit] I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Virginia

Here, I-495 technically ends as mentioned above, and I-95 joins the Beltway within the massive interchange, currently under reconstruction to cater for the many and varied traffic flows. I-495 also meets the southern terminus of Interstate 395 within the massive interchange complex.

Running due east away from the interchange, crossing to the south of Backlick Stream Valley Park, the two routes interchange with VA 613 a mile east of the Springfield Interchange. Continuing east, the Beltway encounters a diamond interchange with a connector road linking to Eisenhower Avenue, which parallels the Beltway for a short distance. Skirting the northern edges of Loftridge Park and Burgundy Park the two routes enter Alexandria and soon reach VA 241, a direct route into the city. Within the interchange, the Beltway enters the western edge of the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge replacement project.

Continuing east within the project limits, the two routes encounter US 1, whose interchange with the Beltway is also undergoing major reconstruction as part of the bridge replacement project. Finally, beyond the interchange, I-95 and I-495 cross Jones Point Park and exit Virginia via the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

[edit] Traffic congestion

Traffic volume on the Beltway can be as high as 225,000 vehicles per day. Despite numerous widening projects during its history, heavy traffic on the Beltway is a continuing problem. The Woodrow Wilson Bridge, where eight lanes on either side are squeezed into just six lanes, is particularly onerous with miles-long backups daily during commuter rush hours. The wider 12-lane replacement bridge, under construction, is expected to open in 2008, bringing relief.

Two intersections on the Capital Beltway are ranked in the top 20 on a study of the "worst bottlenecks in the nation." They are the I-495 at I-270 interchange in Montgomery County, Maryland, ranked third overall, which receives 243,425 cars daily, and the I-495 at I-95 interchange in Prince George's County, Maryland, ranked 11th, with 185,125 cars. The Springfield Interchange, where I-395, I-95, and I-495 meet, was previously ranked fifth worst in the nation, but recent improvements have taken it off the top 20. Local commuters refer to the Springfield Interchange as "The Mixing Bowl," although this designation is reserved by highway officials for the even more complicated interchange complex adjacent to the The Pentagon on the original Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway (currently better-known as Interstate 395) at State Route 27 in Arlington.

In April 2005, the Virginia Department of Transportation signed an agreement with two private companies to build high-occupancy toll lanes on the stretch of the Beltway between Springfield and Georgetown Pike. Maryland officials are considering such lanes on their segment of the Beltway, as well as other major commuter highways in the state. Locals who disapprove of these projects have nicknamed them "Lexus Lanes" because of the potential high price for using the lanes in exchange for by-passing congestion. These new lanes are one stage of a controversial project to widen the beltway, with the second stage involving widening the beltway to 12 lanes; opponents have called for various alternatives to this project (as well as the controversial Intercounty Connector project) which would divert many vehicles off the northern beltway, like the Purple Line mass transit route. [1]

[edit] Exit list

Exits are numbered in a counterclockwise (outer loop) direction, which is the opposite of AASHTO guidelines. However, the normal standard is overridden due to the presence of Interstate 95, which proceeds northward on the outer loop. Being a main interstate, its number sequencing (south-to-north numbering, which is in accordance with AASHTO guidelines) takes precedence, and the remaining exits are adjusted to conform.
County Location # Destinations Notes
Old
Maryland
Prince George's Oxon Hill 38 2B
Interstate 295 north - Washington
38 2A
Maryland Route 210 south - Indian Head Northbound/Outer Loop exit only
37 3B Maryland Route 210 (Indian Head Highway) - Indian Head, Forest Heights Outer Loop: to north 210
Marlow Heights 37A 4A
Maryland Route 414 west (St. Barnabas Road) - Oxon Hill
4B
Maryland Route 414 east (St. Barnabas Road) - Marlow Heights
Andrews AFB 36 7A
Maryland Route 5 south (Branch Avenue) - Waldorf
7B
Maryland Route 5 north (Branch Avenue) - Silver Hill
35 9 Maryland Route 337 (Allentown Road) - Andrews AFB, Morningside
34 11A

Maryland Route 4 south/east (Pennsylvania Avenue) - Upper Marlboro
11B

Maryland Route 4 north/west (Pennsylvania Avenue) - Washington
Ritchie 13 Ritchie-Marlboro Road - Upper Marlboro, Capitol Heights
Largo 33 15A
Maryland Route 214 east (Central Avenue) - Largo
15B
Maryland Route 214 west (Central Avenue) - Seat Pleasant
16 Arena Drive Usually open only on event days at FedEx Field
32 17A
Maryland Route 202 east (Landover Road) - Upper Marlboro
17B
Maryland Route 202 west (Landover Road) - Bladensburg
31 19A
U.S. Route 50 - Annapolis Unsigned Interstate 595
19B
U.S. Route 50 - Washington
New Carrollton 30 20A
Maryland Route 450 east (Annapolis Road) - Bladensburg
20B
Maryland Route 450 west (Annapolis Road) - Lanham
Greenbelt 29 22
Maryland Route 295 (Baltimore/Washington Parkway) north - Baltimore BWI Airport exit here
Maryland Route 295 (Baltimore/Washington Parkway) south - Washington, DC
28 23 Maryland Route 201 (Kenilworth Avenue) - Bladensburg, Greenbelt
24 Greenbelt Metro station Southbound/Inner Loop exit only
Beltsville 27 25 U.S. Route 1 (Baltimore Avenue) - Laurel, Beltsville, College Park Southbound/Inner Loop exit split into 25A (north US 1) and 25B (south US 1)
26 27
Interstate 95 north - Baltimore I-95 was once proposed to run south of this interchange into Washington
Montgomery Oakview 25 28A
Maryland Route 650 north (New Hampshire Avenue) - White Oak
28B
Maryland Route 650 south (New Hampshire Avenue) - Takoma Park
Four Corners 24 29A
Maryland Route 193 west (University Boulevard) - Wheaton Outer Loop exit only; To U.S. Route 29 north
24 29B
Maryland Route 193 east (University Boulevard) - Langley Park Exit 29 on Inner Loop
23 30A
U.S. Route 29 north (Colesville Road) - Columbia Inner Loop exit only; To MD 193 west
23 30B
U.S. Route 29 south (Colesville Road) - Silver Spring Exit 30 on Outer Loop
Montgomery Hills 21 31 Maryland Route 97 - Georgia Avenue; Silver Spring, Wheaton Inner exit split into 31A (MD 97 north) and 31B (MD 97 south)
20 33 Maryland Route 185 (Connecticut Avenue) - Chevy Chase, Kensington
Bethesda 19 34 Maryland Route 355 (Wisconsin Avenue) - Bethesda, Rockville Exit from Inner Loop is southbound only. Entrance from southbound 355 is to Inner Loop only.
19 35
Interstate 270 north - Frederick Outer Loop exit only
18 36 Maryland Route 187 (Old Georgetown Road) - Bethesda, Rockville
17 38
Interstate 270 Spur north - Rockville, Frederick Inner Loop exit only
Carderock 16 39 Maryland Route 190 (River Road) - Washington, Potomac MD 190 west - 39B from Inner Loop
16 40 Cabin John Parkway - Glen Echo Outer Loop exit only
15 41 Carderock, Great Falls (Clara Barton Parkway north) Outer Loop exit only
15 41 Clara Barton Parkway - Carderock, Glen Echo Inner Loop exit only
Virginia
Fairfax Langley 14 43 George Washington Memorial Parkway - Washington
13 44 State Route 193 (Old Georgetown Pike) - Langley, Great Falls
McLean 12 45A
State Route 267 west - Dulles Airport Exit 45 on inner loop
12 45B

State Route 267 east to Interstate 66 east - Washington Outer Loop exit only, restricted to HOV traffic during morning rush hour
11 46A
State Route 123 south (Chain Bridge Road) - Tysons Corner, Vienna
46B
State Route 123 north (Chain Bridge Road) - McLean
10 47A
State Route 7 west (Leesburg Pike) - Tysons Corner
47B
State Route 7 east (Leesburg Pike) - Falls Church
Dunn Loring 9 49A-C
Interstate 66 west - Vienna, Front Royal Exit 49 on Outer Loop; two exits on Inner Loop: 49A (right exit) and 49C (left exit)
9 49B
Interstate 66 east - Washington Inner Loop only, restricted to HOV traffic during morning rush hour
Fairfax 8 50A
U.S. Route 50 west (Arlington Boulevard) - Fairfax
50B
U.S. Route 50 east, to U.S. Route 29 (Lee Highway) - Arlington
7 51 State Route 650 (Gallows Road)
Annandale 6 52A
State Route 236 west (Little River Turnpike) - Fairfax
52B
State Route 236 east (Little River Turnpike) - Annandale
5 54A
State Route 620 (Braddock Road)
54B
Springfield 4C 57A
Interstate 95 south - Richmond Exit number is signed on Outer Loop only
I-495 uses its exit numbers north of here
I-495 follows I-95 exit numbers east of here
4B 57B
170B
Interstate 395 north - Washington I-95 originally ran north of here, as part of a proposed routing through Washington
3 173 State Route 613 (State Route 401) (Van Dorn Street) - Franconia
3A 174 Eisenhower Avenue Connector - Alexandria
Alexandria 2 176A
State Route 241 south (Telegraph Road)
176B
State Route 241 north (Telegraph Road) - Alexandria
City of Alexandria 1 177A
U.S. Route 1 south - Mount Vernon, Old Town Alexandria
177B
U.S. Route 1 north - Alexandria, Fort Belvoir
Woodrow Wilson Bridge
I-95I-495 continue into Maryland

[edit] History

The federal government gave final approval for the construction of the Capital Beltway (also known as the Circumferential Highway in the planning stages) on September 28, 1955. The first section of the 64-mile long Beltway (including the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge over the Potomac River) was opened on December 21, 1961; the highway was completed on August 17, 1964.

Originally designated I-495, in 1977 the eastern portion of the Beltway was re-designated I-95 when a proposed alignment of I-95 from New York Avenue in Washington, D.C., through Prince George's County, Maryland to I-495 was cancelled. Motorists never fully adjusted to the two halves of the Beltway having different numbers. According to Ron Shaffer of the Washington Post, "There were signs stating that to continue on the Beltway, you had to get off at the next exit, when all you really had to do was keep going straight. Lots of resistance from bureaucrats, but eventually we got dual I-95/I-495 signs on the eastern half of the Beltway."[2] So in 1989 the I-495 designation was restored to the eastern portion, making it a dual I-95/I-495.

Traveling clockwise, the Beltway is designated as the "Inner Loop"; traveling counter-clockwise, it is designated as the "Outer Loop". This parlance too has led to its own confusion, with unfamiliar motorists imagining two separate, distinct highway alignments, one some distance inside the other. At entrance ramps to the Beltway and on the on-highway signage, "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" shields are posted in conjunction with the route marker shields, although the terms are not emphasized in signage.

The Beltway crosses the Potomac River twice, on the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge and on the American Legion Memorial Bridge.

[edit] Notes

* The circumferential roadway is located not only in the states of Virginia and Maryland, but also crosses briefly through the District of Columbia over the Potomac River on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. [3]

* The Capital Beltway also interchanges with a "secret" unsigned section of the Interstate Highway System, the long lost Interstate 595 in Maryland, completed in 1995. This roadway is still signed as U.S. Highway 50. [4]

[edit] Current works

The Springfield Interchange is undergoing continuous reconstruction. A recent addition was the reconfiguration of the I-95 split from the Beltway to its southbound journey to Richmond, Virginia. I-95 now departs via a massive flyover ramp.

The Woodrow Wilson Bridge is also being reconstructed, with express and local lanes for both Inner and Outer Loops. When completed, the new Wilson Bridge will be higher and wider than the original 1961 span that was demolished in 2006. Currently, only the Outer Loop span is open, with Inner Loop traffic utilizing the future Outer Loop express lanes.

Also, in relation to the Wilson Bridge project, its two immediate interchanges (Exit 177/US 1 in Alexandria; and Exit 2/I-295 near the Washington city limits) are being reconstructed.

The Branch Avenue (MD-5) Interchange is also undergoing improvements.

[edit] Exit numbering

Exit numbers on the Beltway have gone through several iterations. Originally, all exits on the Beltway were numbered sequentially in a clockwise direction, starting with exit 1 for US 1 in Alexandria. After the eastern half of the Beltway was renumbered in 1977 as Interstate 95, exits on the Maryland portion were renumbered to the current format, counterclockwise with exit numbers assigned to mileposts. This caused problems because there were some exits that had the same number in Maryland and Virginia. Around 2000, this problem was solved by renumbering all of the Virginia exits. The exit numbers between the American Legion Bridge and the Springfield Interchange – Interstate 495's intersection with Interstate 395 and Interstate 95 in Virginia – became a continuation of the Maryland exit numbers from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to the American Legion Bridge. The exit numbers between the Springfield Interchange and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge became a continuation of the exit numbers of Interstate 95 in Virginia.

[edit] Cabin John Parkway

The Cabin John Parkway, a short connector between I-495 and the Clara Barton Parkway near the Maryland-Virginia border, is considered an Interstate spur by the Maryland State Highway Administration, and is designated I-495X. The spur connects the Clara Barton Parkway to I-495 and Maryland Route 190. The parkway runs through Cabin John Creek Park and meets the Clara Barton Parkway near Glen Echo.

[edit] See also

* Inner Loop, a partly-built downtown loop
* Washington Outer Beltway, a planned loop outside the Beltway

* Intercounty Connector, a portion of the Outer Beltway
* Fairfax County Parkway and Prince William Parkway, portions of which are built on rights-of-way acquired for the Outer Beltway in Virginia.

* Springfield Interchange, the complicated interchange of the Beltway, Interstate 95, and Interstate 395 in Springfield, VA.
* College Park Interchange, the less complicated interchange of the Beltway and Interstate 95 near College Park, MD.

[edit] External links

* I-495 @ MDRoads.com
* Official Study Website published by the Maryland State Highway Adminsitration
* Capital Beltway (I-495 and I-95), by Roads to the Future
* Steve Anderson's DCroads.net: Capital Beltway (I-495 and I-95)
* "Memory Lanes": 40th anniversary of the Beltway's opening (Washington Post)

edit
Auxiliary routes of Interstate 95
Current and Future (F) Former
I-195 Florida - Maine - Maryland - Massachusetts/Rhode Island - New Jersey - Virginia
I-295 Delaware/New Jersey - District of Columbia/Maryland - Florida - Massachusetts/Rhode Island - Maine - New York - North Carolina - Virginia
I-395 Connecticut/Massachusetts - District of Columbia/Virginia - Florida - Maryland - Maine
I-495 Delaware - District of Columbia/Maryland/Virginia - Maine - Massachusetts - New York New Jersey - Pennsylvania
I-595 Florida - Maryland Virginia
I-695 District of Columbia - Maryland - New York Massachusetts - New Jersey - Pennsylvania
I-795 Florida (F) - Maryland Virginia
I-895 Maryland - New York Delaware - New Jersey/Pennsylvania - Rhode Island/Massachusetts - Virginia
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_495_%28Capital_Beltway%29"

Categories: Interstate Highways in the District of Columbia | Interstate Highways in Maryland | Interstate Highways in Virginia | Three-digit Interstate Highways | Orbital roads | Interstate 95 | Alexandria, Virginia | Fairfax County, Virginia
Views

* Article
* Discussion
* Edit this page
* History

Personal tools

* Sign in / create account

Navigation

* Main page
* Contents
* Featured content
* Current events
* Random article

interaction

* About Wikipedia
* Community portal
* Recent changes
* Upload file
* Contact us
* Make a donation
* Help

Search

Toolbox

* What links here
* Related changes
* Upload file
* Special pages
* Printable version
* Permanent link
* Cite this article

In other languages

* Français

Powered by MediaWiki
Wikimedia Foundation

* This page was last modified 01:14, 8 May 2007.
* All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License. (See Copyrights for details.)
Wikipedia® is a registered trademark of the Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., a US-registered 501(c)(3) tax-deductible nonprofit charity.
* Privacy policy
* About Wikipedia
* Disclaimers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:32 pm 
Banned

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 9:34 am 
Banned

freetime wrote:
jjwasz wrote:
freetime wrote:
That is NOT ME.

Wikipedia says its's in D.C, you moron:

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running!
Interstate 495 (Capital Beltway)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Capital Beltway)
Jump to: navigation, search
Interstate 495
Auxiliary route of the Interstate Highway System
Length: 64 mi (103 km)
Formed: 1958
Beltway around Washington, DC
Major
junctions: I-295 near Forest Heights, MD
US 50 (I-595) near Glenarden, MD
MD 295 (Balt./Wash. Parkway) near Greenbelt, MD
I-95 near College Park, MD
I-270 near Bethesda, MD
SR 267 near Tysons Corner, VA
I-66 near Falls Church, VA
I-95/I-395 near Springfield, VA

Interstate 495 (abbreviated I-495) is a freeway-class interstate highway which circles Washington, D.C. and its inner suburbs in Maryland and Virginia. I-495 is widely known as the Capital Beltway or simply the Beltway, especially when the context of Washington, D.C. is clear. It is the basis of the phrase "inside the Beltway", used when referring to issues dealing with American government and politics. Interstate 95 utilizes the southern and eastern half of the Capital Beltway to circumnavigate Washington, D.C., and is cosigned with Interstate 495 along that route.
Contents
[hide]

* 1 Counties traversed
o 1.1 Maryland
o 1.2 Virginia
* 2 Major cities
o 2.1 Maryland
o 2.2 Virginia
* 3 Route description
o 3.1 I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Maryland
o 3.2 I-495 in Maryland
o 3.3 I-495 in Virginia
o 3.4 I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Virginia
o 3.5 Traffic congestion
* 4 Exit list
* 5 History
* 6 Notes
o 6.1 Current works
o 6.2 Exit numbering
o 6.3 Cabin John Parkway
* 7 See also
* 8 External links

[edit] Counties traversed

[edit] Maryland

* Prince George's County
* Montgomery County

[edit] Virginia

* Fairfax County
* Alexandria (independent city)

[edit] Major cities

[edit] Maryland

* Forest Heights
* Glenarden
* New Carrollton
* Greenbelt
* College Park
* Silver Spring
* Bethesda
* Cabin John

[edit] Virginia

* Tysons Corner
* Falls Church
* Fairfax
* Springfield
* Alexandria

[edit] Route description

Because of the presence of I-95, I-495 technically begins at the College Park Interchange near College Park, Maryland and technically ends at the Springfield Interchange in Springfield, Virginia. However, because the signage of I-495 is continuous, and because the zero milepost of I-495 is concurrent with I-95's zero milepost at the eastern end of the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge in Maryland, the route is generally judged to begin there.

[edit] I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Maryland

The two routes, eight lanes wide, travel together over the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and touch down in Prince George's County west of Forest Heights. I-95/I-495 immediately encounter the southern terminus of Interstate 295, known as the Anacostia Freeway, a route that serves downtown Washington D.C. and connects to the planned alignment of I-95 through D.C., Interstate 395. Passing through the interchange, currently under major reconstruction as part of the bridge replacement project, the two routes interchange with MD 210, a major north-south route into southern D.C. Beyond the MD 210 interchange (also under construction) the Beltway exits the eastern edge of the bridge replacement project.

The two Interstates continue along the Capital Beltway, interchanging with various local highways such as MD 5 and MD 4 on either side of Andrews Air Force Base, which the Beltway travels very close to near its northern edge. Turning north past the MD 4 interchange, the Beltway runs through Glenarden, interchanging with MD 202, US 50, and MD 450, the latter route offering access to the New Carrollton metro station and the New Carrollton metropolitan area.

Turning northwest the Beltway enters Greenbelt Park, intersecting the Baltimore-Washington Parkway in the northeastern edge of the park. Just after the B-W Parkway, the two routes interchange with MD 201, which connects to the southern terminus of the B-W Parkway at US 50 near the D.C. line. Now turned fully west, the Beltway runs through the northern edge of College Park, interchanging with the Greenbelt metro station's access roadway and US 1.

Beyond the US 1 interchange, Interstate 95 encounters its own route at the College Park Interchange and separates from Interstate 495 within this interchange. I-495 continues west, alone, on the Capital Beltway, while I-95 turns north onto its own planned alignment. The interchange includes access to a Park and Ride.

[edit] I-495 in Maryland

Continuing west from the College Park Interchange, I-495 enters a heavily developed and populated area. Passing underneath MD 212 with no interchange, the route interchanges with MD 650 near the George Washington Cemetery. After bisecting the Northwest Branch Park, the Beltway interchanges with MD 193 and US 29 south of Four Corners; the interchanges are little more than half a mile apart. Southbound US 29 is the main route into downtown Silver Spring.

Squeezing past Argyle Park and Sligo Creek Golf Course, the Beltway interchanges with MD 97 northwest of Silver Spring and follows an alignment formerly known as Rock Creek Parkway. Twisting along the alignment, through and around Rock Creek Park, the route interchanges with MD 185 near the National Naval Medical Center. Turning northwest, I-495 soon encounters the southern terminus of Interstate 270.

I-270 and I-495 split at a highly complex wye junction, with separate HOV connections to I-270's HOV lanes and separate ramps to and from MD 355 (formerly known as US 240). The old Rock Creek Parkway alignment follows I-270 north, while I-495 turns west and enters the only other six-lane segment of the Beltway still in existence; significant levels of traffic exit onto I-270 north, leaving the six-lane segment west of the split adequate.

Interchanging with MD 187, I-495 soon meets Interstate 270 Spur, the other side of the I-270/I-495 triangle. I-495 joins I-270 Spur at a converging wye junction; Inner Loop traffic exits from itself at the southern terminus of I-270 Spur, while Outer Loop traffic crosses the spur and enters it from the right. The two carriageways of I-495 temporarily widen to ten lanes and remain ten lanes as far as the MD 190 and Cabin John Parkway interchanges, where the route narrows to eight lanes again. Turning sharply to the west, I-495 meets the Clara Barton Parkway just to the north of the Potomac River, and soon crosses into Virginia over the American Legion Memorial Bridge.

[edit] I-495 in Virginia

Immediately after crossing into Virginia, I-495 encounters the western terminus of the George Washington Memorial Parkway at a trumpet interchange. Continuing south the Beltway interchanges with VA 193 south of Dranesville District Park, then reaches the massive triangle of interchanges between itself, the Dulles Airport Access Road, VA 267, and VA 123. The former interchange with the toll road is a directional interchange, while the latter is a cloverleaf; the entire complex occurs east of Tysons Corner, near the massive Tysons Corner Center shopping mall.

Now running south, the Beltway interchanges with VA 7, the Leesburg Pike, east of the shopping center; passing Dunn Loring to the east the route soon reaches the complex interchange with Interstate 66. In a similar setup as the I-270/I-495 interchange, dedicated HOV connections exist between I-495 and I-66, with many reversible and other directional ramps providing the remaining connections. There is no access between the Outer Loop and I-66 east at this interchange. Instead, Outer Loop traffic must use the eastbound Dulles Access Road exit three miles previous to travel to I-66 East. If a driver gets onto westbound I-66 at the Leesburg Pike (VA 7) entrance, the only choice for getting to northbound I-495 is to take I-66 West to the Nutley Street exit and then get back on I-66 East. A similar situation occurs for going from the Dulles Access Road at Chain Bridge Rd (VA 123) to southbound I-495. It is assumed that the driver will know to continue along VA 7 or VA 123 directly to the Beltway. Also, there are multiple ramps from I-66 east to the Inner Loop, with one ramp exiting from the left side of I-66 east and the other exiting from the right.

South of the I-66 interchange, the Beltway crosses under US 29 and VA 237 with no access, then encounters a large braided interchange between itself, US 50, and two local roads; the direct interchange between I-495 and US 50 is a full cloverleaf, while the braided local interchanges between I-495, US 50 and the local roads are modified SPUIs. The entire complex is bounded on the northeast side by Fairview Lake and on the southwest side by an office complex occupied by Mobil.

Continuing due south, the route interchanges with Gallows Road south of the Mobil offices, then skirts the eastern edge of Mill Creek Park before interchanging with VA 236 southwest of Annandale Community Park. Running along the eastern edge of Wakefield Park the Beltway turns southeast and interchanges with the nearly straight VA 620 before turning east near Flag Run Park and running into Springfield, meeting the Springfield Interchange southeast of the Shirley Industrial Complex.

[edit] I-95/I-495 Multiplex in Virginia

Here, I-495 technically ends as mentioned above, and I-95 joins the Beltway within the massive interchange, currently under reconstruction to cater for the many and varied traffic flows. I-495 also meets the southern terminus of Interstate 395 within the massive interchange complex.

Running due east away from the interchange, crossing to the south of Backlick Stream Valley Park, the two routes interchange with VA 613 a mile east of the Springfield Interchange. Continuing east, the Beltway encounters a diamond interchange with a connector road linking to Eisenhower Avenue, which parallels the Beltway for a short distance. Skirting the northern edges of Loftridge Park and Burgundy Park the two routes enter Alexandria and soon reach VA 241, a direct route into the city. Within the interchange, the Beltway enters the western edge of the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge replacement project.

Continuing east within the project limits, the two routes encounter US 1, whose interchange with the Beltway is also undergoing major reconstruction as part of the bridge replacement project. Finally, beyond the interchange, I-95 and I-495 cross Jones Point Park and exit Virginia via the Woodrow Wilson Bridge.

[edit] Traffic congestion

Traffic volume on the Beltway can be as high as 225,000 vehicles per day. Despite numerous widening projects during its history, heavy traffic on the Beltway is a continuing problem. The Woodrow Wilson Bridge, where eight lanes on either side are squeezed into just six lanes, is particularly onerous with miles-long backups daily during commuter rush hours. The wider 12-lane replacement bridge, under construction, is expected to open in 2008, bringing relief.

Two intersections on the Capital Beltway are ranked in the top 20 on a study of the "worst bottlenecks in the nation." They are the I-495 at I-270 interchange in Montgomery County, Maryland, ranked third overall, which receives 243,425 cars daily, and the I-495 at I-95 interchange in Prince George's County, Maryland, ranked 11th, with 185,125 cars. The Springfield Interchange, where I-395, I-95, and I-495 meet, was previously ranked fifth worst in the nation, but recent improvements have taken it off the top 20. Local commuters refer to the Springfield Interchange as "The Mixing Bowl," although this designation is reserved by highway officials for the even more complicated interchange complex adjacent to the The Pentagon on the original Henry G. Shirley Memorial Highway (currently better-known as Interstate 395) at State Route 27 in Arlington.

In April 2005, the Virginia Department of Transportation signed an agreement with two private companies to build high-occupancy toll lanes on the stretch of the Beltway between Springfield and Georgetown Pike. Maryland officials are considering such lanes on their segment of the Beltway, as well as other major commuter highways in the state. Locals who disapprove of these projects have nicknamed them "Lexus Lanes" because of the potential high price for using the lanes in exchange for by-passing congestion. These new lanes are one stage of a controversial project to widen the beltway, with the second stage involving widening the beltway to 12 lanes; opponents have called for various alternatives to this project (as well as the controversial Intercounty Connector project) which would divert many vehicles off the northern beltway, like the Purple Line mass transit route. [1]

[edit] Exit list

Exits are numbered in a counterclockwise (outer loop) direction, which is the opposite of AASHTO guidelines. However, the normal standard is overridden due to the presence of Interstate 95, which proceeds northward on the outer loop. Being a main interstate, its number sequencing (south-to-north numbering, which is in accordance with AASHTO guidelines) takes precedence, and the remaining exits are adjusted to conform.
County Location # Destinations Notes
Old
Maryland
Prince George's Oxon Hill 38 2B
Interstate 295 north - Washington
38 2A
Maryland Route 210 south - Indian Head Northbound/Outer Loop exit only
37 3B Maryland Route 210 (Indian Head Highway) - Indian Head, Forest Heights Outer Loop: to north 210
Marlow Heights 37A 4A
Maryland Route 414 west (St. Barnabas Road) - Oxon Hill
4B
Maryland Route 414 east (St. Barnabas Road) - Marlow Heights
Andrews AFB 36 7A
Maryland Route 5 south (Branch Avenue) - Waldorf
7B
Maryland Route 5 north (Branch Avenue) - Silver Hill
35 9 Maryland Route 337 (Allentown Road) - Andrews AFB, Morningside
34 11A

Maryland Route 4 south/east (Pennsylvania Avenue) - Upper Marlboro
11B

Maryland Route 4 north/west (Pennsylvania Avenue) - Washington
Ritchie 13 Ritchie-Marlboro Road - Upper Marlboro, Capitol Heights
Largo 33 15A
Maryland Route 214 east (Central Avenue) - Largo
15B
Maryland Route 214 west (Central Avenue) - Seat Pleasant
16 Arena Drive Usually open only on event days at FedEx Field
32 17A
Maryland Route 202 east (Landover Road) - Upper Marlboro
17B
Maryland Route 202 west (Landover Road) - Bladensburg
31 19A
U.S. Route 50 - Annapolis Unsigned Interstate 595
19B
U.S. Route 50 - Washington
New Carrollton 30 20A
Maryland Route 450 east (Annapolis Road) - Bladensburg
20B
Maryland Route 450 west (Annapolis Road) - Lanham
Greenbelt 29 22
Maryland Route 295 (Baltimore/Washington Parkway) north - Baltimore BWI Airport exit here
Maryland Route 295 (Baltimore/Washington Parkway) south - Washington, DC
28 23 Maryland Route 201 (Kenilworth Avenue) - Bladensburg, Greenbelt
24 Greenbelt Metro station Southbound/Inner Loop exit only
Beltsville 27 25 U.S. Route 1 (Baltimore Avenue) - Laurel, Beltsville, College Park Southbound/Inner Loop exit split into 25A (north US 1) and 25B (south US 1)
26 27
Interstate 95 north - Baltimore I-95 was once proposed to run south of this interchange into Washington
Montgomery Oakview 25 28A
Maryland Route 650 north (New Hampshire Avenue) - White Oak
28B
Maryland Route 650 south (New Hampshire Avenue) - Takoma Park
Four Corners 24 29A
Maryland Route 193 west (University Boulevard) - Wheaton Outer Loop exit only; To U.S. Route 29 north
24 29B
Maryland Route 193 east (University Boulevard) - Langley Park Exit 29 on Inner Loop
23 30A
U.S. Route 29 north (Colesville Road) - Columbia Inner Loop exit only; To MD 193 west
23 30B
U.S. Route 29 south (Colesville Road) - Silver Spring Exit 30 on Outer Loop
Montgomery Hills 21 31 Maryland Route 97 - Georgia Avenue; Silver Spring, Wheaton Inner exit split into 31A (MD 97 north) and 31B (MD 97 south)
20 33 Maryland Route 185 (Connecticut Avenue) - Chevy Chase, Kensington
Bethesda 19 34 Maryland Route 355 (Wisconsin Avenue) - Bethesda, Rockville Exit from Inner Loop is southbound only. Entrance from southbound 355 is to Inner Loop only.
19 35
Interstate 270 north - Frederick Outer Loop exit only
18 36 Maryland Route 187 (Old Georgetown Road) - Bethesda, Rockville
17 38
Interstate 270 Spur north - Rockville, Frederick Inner Loop exit only
Carderock 16 39 Maryland Route 190 (River Road) - Washington, Potomac MD 190 west - 39B from Inner Loop
16 40 Cabin John Parkway - Glen Echo Outer Loop exit only
15 41 Carderock, Great Falls (Clara Barton Parkway north) Outer Loop exit only
15 41 Clara Barton Parkway - Carderock, Glen Echo Inner Loop exit only
Virginia
Fairfax Langley 14 43 George Washington Memorial Parkway - Washington
13 44 State Route 193 (Old Georgetown Pike) - Langley, Great Falls
McLean 12 45A
State Route 267 west - Dulles Airport Exit 45 on inner loop
12 45B

State Route 267 east to Interstate 66 east - Washington Outer Loop exit only, restricted to HOV traffic during morning rush hour
11 46A
State Route 123 south (Chain Bridge Road) - Tysons Corner, Vienna
46B
State Route 123 north (Chain Bridge Road) - McLean
10 47A
State Route 7 west (Leesburg Pike) - Tysons Corner
47B
State Route 7 east (Leesburg Pike) - Falls Church
Dunn Loring 9 49A-C
Interstate 66 west - Vienna, Front Royal Exit 49 on Outer Loop; two exits on Inner Loop: 49A (right exit) and 49C (left exit)
9 49B
Interstate 66 east - Washington Inner Loop only, restricted to HOV traffic during morning rush hour
Fairfax 8 50A
U.S. Route 50 west (Arlington Boulevard) - Fairfax
50B
U.S. Route 50 east, to U.S. Route 29 (Lee Highway) - Arlington
7 51 State Route 650 (Gallows Road)
Annandale 6 52A
State Route 236 west (Little River Turnpike) - Fairfax
52B
State Route 236 east (Little River Turnpike) - Annandale
5 54A
54B
Springfield 4C 57A
Interstate 95 south - Richmond Exit number is signed on Outer Loop only
I-495 uses its exit numbers north of here
I-495 follows I-95 exit numbers east of here
4B 57B
170B
Interstate 395 north - Washington I-95 originally ran north of here, as part of a proposed routing through Washington
3 173 State Route 613 (State Route 401) (Van Dorn Street) - Franconia
3A 174 Eisenhower Avenue Connector - Alexandria
Alexandria 2 176A
State Route 241 south (Telegraph Road)
176B
State Route 241 north (Telegraph Road) - Alexandria
City of Alexandria 1 177A
U.S. Route 1 south - Mount Vernon, Old Town Alexandria
177B
U.S. Route 1 north - Alexandria, Fort Belvoir
Woodrow Wilson Bridge
I-95I-495 continue into Maryland

[edit] History

The federal government gave final approval for the construction of the Capital Beltway (also known as the Circumferential Highway in the planning stages) on September 28, 1955. The first section of the 64-mile long Beltway (including the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge over the Potomac River) was opened on December 21, 1961; the highway was completed on August 17, 1964.

Originally designated I-495, in 1977 the eastern portion of the Beltway was re-designated I-95 when a proposed alignment of I-95 from New York Avenue in Washington, D.C., through Prince George's County, Maryland to I-495 was cancelled. Motorists never fully adjusted to the two halves of the Beltway having different numbers. According to Ron Shaffer of the Washington Post, "There were signs stating that to continue on the Beltway, you had to get off at the next exit, when all you really had to do was keep going straight. Lots of resistance from bureaucrats, but eventually we got dual I-95/I-495 signs on the eastern half of the Beltway."[2] So in 1989 the I-495 designation was restored to the eastern portion, making it a dual I-95/I-495.

Traveling clockwise, the Beltway is designated as the "Inner Loop"; traveling counter-clockwise, it is designated as the "Outer Loop". This parlance too has led to its own confusion, with unfamiliar motorists imagining two separate, distinct highway alignments, one some distance inside the other. At entrance ramps to the Beltway and on the on-highway signage, "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop" shields are posted in conjunction with the route marker shields, although the terms are not emphasized in signage.

The Beltway crosses the Potomac River twice, on the Woodrow Wilson Memorial Bridge and on the American Legion Memorial Bridge.

[edit] Notes

* The circumferential roadway is located not only in the states of Virginia and Maryland, but also crosses briefly through the District of Columbia over the Potomac River on the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. [3]

* The Capital Beltway also interchanges with a "secret" unsigned section of the Interstate Highway System, the long lost Interstate 595 in Maryland, completed in 1995. This roadway is still signed as U.S. Highway 50. [4]

[edit] Current works

The Springfield Interchange is undergoing continuous reconstruction. A recent addition was the reconfiguration of the I-95 split from the Beltway to its southbound journey to Richmond, Virginia. I-95 now departs via a massive flyover ramp.

The Woodrow Wilson Bridge is also being reconstructed, with express and local lanes for both Inner and Outer Loops. When completed, the new Wilson Bridge will be higher and wider than the original 1961 span that was demolished in 2006. Currently, only the Outer Loop span is open, with Inner Loop traffic utilizing the future Outer Loop express lanes.

Also, in relation to the Wilson Bridge project, its two immediate interchanges (Exit 177/US 1 in Alexandria; and Exit 2/I-295 near the Washington city limits) are being reconstructed.

The Branch Avenue (MD-5) Interchange is also undergoing improvements.

[edit] Exit numbering

Exit numbers on the Beltway have gone through several iterations. Originally, all exits on the Beltway were numbered sequentially in a clockwise direction, starting with exit 1 for US 1 in Alexandria. After the eastern half of the Beltway was renumbered in 1977 as Interstate 95, exits on the Maryland portion were renumbered to the current format, counterclockwise with exit numbers assigned to mileposts. This caused problems because there were some exits that had the same number in Maryland and Virginia. Around 2000, this problem was solved by renumbering all of the Virginia exits. The exit numbers between the American Legion Bridge and the Springfield Interchange – Interstate 495's intersection with Interstate 395 and Interstate 95 in Virginia – became a continuation of the Maryland exit numbers from the Woodrow Wilson Bridge to the American Legion Bridge. The exit numbers between the Springfield Interchange and the Woodrow Wilson Bridge became a continuation of the exit numbers of Interstate 95 in Virginia.

[edit] Cabin John Parkway

The Cabin John Parkway, a short connector between I-495 and the Clara Barton Parkway near the Maryland-Virginia border, is considered an Interstate spur by the Maryland State Highway Administration, and is designated I-495X. The spur connects the Clara Barton Parkway to I-495 and Maryland Route 190. The parkway runs through Cabin John Creek Park and meets the Clara Barton Parkway near Glen Echo.

[edit] See also

* Inner Loop, a partly-built downtown loop
* Washington Outer Beltway, a planned loop outside the Beltway

* Intercounty Connector, a portion of the Outer Beltway
* Fairfax County Parkway and Prince William Parkway, portions of which are built on rights-of-way acquired for the Outer Beltway in Virginia.

* Springfield Interchange, the complicated interchange of the Beltway, Interstate 95, and Interstate 395 in Springfield, VA.
* College Park Interchange, the less complicated interchange of the Beltway and Interstate 95 near College Park, MD.

[edit] External links

* I-495 @ MDRoads.com
* Official Study Website published by the Maryland State Highway Adminsitration
* Capital Beltway (I-495 and I-95), by Roads to the Future
* Steve Anderson's DCroads.net: Capital Beltway (I-495 and I-95)
* "Memory Lanes": 40th anniversary of the Beltway's opening (Washington Post)

edit
Auxiliary routes of Interstate 95
Current and Future (F) Former
I-195 Florida - Maine - Maryland - Massachusetts/Rhode Island - New Jersey - Virginia
I-295 Delaware/New Jersey - District of Columbia/Maryland - Florida - Massachusetts/Rhode Island - Maine - New York - North Carolina - Virginia
I-395 Connecticut/Massachusetts - District of Columbia/Virginia - Florida - Maryland - Maine
I-495 Delaware - District of Columbia/Maryland/Virginia - Maine - Massachusetts - New York New Jersey - Pennsylvania
I-595 Florida - Maryland Virginia
I-695 District of Columbia - Maryland - New York Massachusetts - New Jersey - Pennsylvania
I-795 Florida (F) - Maryland Virginia
I-895 Maryland - New York Delaware - New Jersey/Pennsylvania - Rhode Island/Massachusetts - Virginia
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_495_%28Capital_Beltway%29"

Categories: Interstate Highways in the District of Columbia | Interstate Highways in Maryland | Interstate Highways in Virginia | Three-digit Interstate Highways | Orbital roads | Interstate 95 | Alexandria, Virginia | Fairfax County, Virginia
Views

* Article
* Discussion
* Edit this page
* History

Personal tools

* Sign in / create account

Navigation

* Main page
* Contents
* Featured content
* Current events