Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Vintage Baseball in NW Indiana
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:11 pm 

Hello All........

This is an announcement to let everyone know there is a new vintage (odd two words to put next to each other) baseball club in the area: the Portage Iron Diamonds.
The Iron Diamonds is sponsored by the Portage Parks Department and their home field will be at Countryside Park (5250 US Hwy. 6)....specifically at Trager Field.

I would like to welcome anyone that has a sincere interest in history and friendly competition to give me a call for more information on being a player, umpire or scorekeeper.

The Iron Diamonds will be playing old-time ball by the rules of 1858. This was when baseball was in its infancy and before it became a business. Vintage baseball harkens back to when the sport was a social outing first and a sporting competition second.

The rules were quite different and included some of the following examples: no bunting, no sliding, no stealing, no over-running first base (or any other) and no gloves. It also was a time when society was not receptive to actions such as spitting, swearing, scratching unmentionable areas of the body, no chewing of tobacco and no arguing with the umpire. That last one, alone, would challenge most of us today....including me.

The Iron Diamonds will be playing approximately 15 games on 12 dates....most often on Sunday afternoons. There is some travel required to other vintage clubs in Winona Lake (IN), Hobart, Valpo, South Bend and the Illinois communities of Lockport, Downers Grove and Danville (transportation is provided).

For players, we have about 4-5 slots left on our roster. For umpires (men)....a period outfit is required (1850s to 1860s) and, of course, a good knowledge of the old-time rules that I will provide you with. For scorekeepers (women)....an outfit of the time is required as well. There is no particular scorekeeping method to be learned....just whatever suits you best and as long as others can understand it.

Anyhow, if you have an interest in playing, umping or keeping score for the Iron Diamonds....please call me (Dennis) at 219-741-1269. The season begins on May 19 and concludes during the "World Series" of vintage baseball in Indiana at Winona Lake as the Hoosier Huzzah Pennant takes place.