Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Handguns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:17 am 

I think sports is the best place to start a discussion about handguns. Target shooting is an Olympic sport.
happy jack wrote:
sparks:
Some friendly advice.
If you liked the Glock, you might not like the S&W Sigma. I don’t know how much you know about auto pistols, but the Glock is single-action only, and the Sigma is double-action only. The Glock and the Sigma are both striker operated – they have no hammer that can be cocked. When the Glock is in firing condition, the striker is held back under tension, and it takes only a light pull (3-4 lbs.) of the trigger to fire. After firing, the striker returns to the tensioned position and all that is needed is a light pull for all subsequent shots. With the Sigma, you will need to go through a longer and considerably more resistant trigger pull (8-10 lbs.) in order to fire, because the striker in the Sigma comes back to full untensioned rest after each shot. Both are in roughly the same price range, I think, so it’s a matter of personal preference as to single-action vs. double-action.
I bought a Sigma .380 not long after the Sigma line was introduced in 1994. After firing only about 1000 rounds through it, the ridge on the underside of the slide that strips the individual cartridges from the magazine began getting flat and misshapen. It looked like it was only a matter of time before it would stop stripping cartridges altogether. I contacted S&W and was told that, in the early days of Sigma manufacture, a different and less durable alloy was used for the slides. There had been many other complaints about the same problem from other customers, and a new alloy was soon incorporated. To the best of my knowledge, that is no longer a problem. S&W is a class company, and they gave me a full refund on the Sigma to use toward the purchase of any of their other products.
If you are looking for a revolver, I would recommend any of a variety of S&W’s. My personal favorite is the 5-shot Centennial 640 .357 magnum with concealed hammer and 2-1/8 inch barrel. Easily concealed and, due to no external hammer, can even be fired from within a coat pocket – there is nothing to snag. It is rough with .357 ammo, however, so I usually load it with .38 +P hollowpoint.
Although I’ve never tried one, I’ve heard good things about Taurus revolvers, too. You mentioned the Taurus Ultralite, but don’t let the word ‘Ultralite’ mislead you into thinking that it will be easier to handle – quite the opposite is true. The lighter the gun and the shorter the barrel, the greater the perceived recoil. The Taurus Ultralite is somewhere in the 13 oz. range, while the S&W 640 weighs 24 oz. With +P loads, the S&W still has a decent kick to it, so I can only imagine that the kick from the Taurus will be much greater. I haven’t been to Deb’s in a while, but I was told that they rent out guns. Try the two side by side, if you can, and then decide. The heavier gun is more cumbersome for personal protection carry, but it should be much easier to control while firing. I guess it depends which feature is more important to the individual shooter.
Long story short, I like a Glock 26 (Baby Glock) 9mm or the S&W 640 while on the road, but at home, you can’t go wrong with a Mossberg 500 pistol-grip 8-shot 12 gauge, lovingly stoked with 00 buck. You may not even need to fire that one – the sound of a shell being racked into the chamber might send an intruder running.
Strangely enough, this is probably the fifth or sixth request for advice I’ve heard, in as many months, from someone wishing to purchase a handgun and/or obtain a CCW permit for the first time.
Mere coincidence, or could it have something to do with the jackass in the White House?

Thanks for the advice,Happy. I already own a Mossberg 500. I bought it used at Deb's and it is quite a bit of fun. We went to Deb's yesterday and rented a Glock and shot 100 9MM rounds. It was a blast. Both my wife and I are going to purchase new handguns. We are limiting ourselves to buying a gun made in the US. I don't know where Glocks are made but I don't think it is here. The S&W is made in Massachusetts.I know that's kind of old school, but that's how I feel. Have you tried any of the guns with lasers? They are hot. I really would prefer to keep politics out of this discussion but there are two things driving up gun sales. The first is the fearmongering regarding the Democrats taking away people's guns. IMO, some of that is coming from the NRA and the gun manufacturers themselves. There's no recession or layoffs if you are making or selling firearms. Second, due to the recession, crime is rising. It has always risen when unemployment rises.

Post subject: Re: Handguns
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:48 pm 

sparks wrote:
I think sports is the best place to start a discussion about handguns.
I don't know,after reading the news, the Hammond and Gary Forums would be just as valid.

Me personally, I like Colt's .45 caliber 1911 model for stopping power, but as a daily carry piece, I go for the Sig Sauer P226, the preferred carry piece for most federal agents.

It is too bad you waited so long in life before you got over your fear of firearms, taking a woman to a pistol range and teaching her how to shoot firearms safely is a great first date they don't soon forget.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:11 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:
I don't know,after reading the news, the Hammond and Gary Forums would be just as valid.

Me personally, I like Colt's .45 caliber 1911 model for stopping power, but as a daily carry piece, I go for the Sig Sauer P226, the preferred carry piece for most federal agents.

It is too bad you waited so long in life before you got over your fear of firearms, taking a woman to a pistol range and teaching her how to shoot firearms safely is a great first date they don't soon forget.

Fear of firearms? That's pretty funny coming from someone who has probably made 10,000 posts hiding behind a screen name because he doesn't have the guts to attach his real name to his opinions. I'm also not surprised you have to use a crutch like a handgun because you can't attract women without a gimmick.LOL!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:18 am 

sparks wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:

Fear of firearms? That's pretty funny coming from someone who has probably made 10,000 posts hiding behind a screen name because he doesn't have the guts to attach his real name to his opinions. I'm also not surprised you have to use a crutch like a handgun because you can't attract women without a gimmick.LOL!!!

Hey idiot, did you forget the part where I went to Culver Military Academy?

Speaking of crutches, maybe you can clue us all in on how you've made being an over weight union laborer work for you tubby.

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:22 am 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:

I remember when I got my Remington 870, about ten years ago, I went shooting. After about 10 shots, and about a week later, my shoulder was sore. Then, a friend showed me how to really use it. And my shoulder wasn't even used. Yep, it is a great date. As for your .45, the Sig Sauer P226, is what I have in the car. My brother in law, a former Treasury and IMS agent, recommended it, and taught me how to use it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:18 pm 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:
sparks wrote:

You may have gone to Culver, but it obviously didn't do much for your manhood because you still feel the need to hide behind a screenname. Real men aren't afraid to attach their name to their words. Scurry back to your hole,troll.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:59 am 

sparks wrote:
You may have gone to Culver, but it obviously didn't do much for your manhood because you still feel the need to hide behind a screenname. Real men aren't afraid to attach their name to their words. Scurry back to your hole,troll.
The old dodge..."hide behind a screenname"...get over it. Bloated One, if you knew MY true identity, you would be relentless in your harassment. Probably the reason your first wife left you...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:33 pm 

LoisLane wrote:
sparks wrote:
The old dodge..."hide behind a screenname"...get over it. Bloated One, if you knew MY true identity, you would be relentless in your harassment. Probably the reason your first wife left you...

Really? You're the one who claims to have found my Facebook page and is stalking me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:12 am 

Stalking you? You mean like a mouse stalking an elephant?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:33 am 

sparks wrote:
-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
sparks wrote:

No response there,Arc? It's pretty hard to refute the truth,isn't it,pal?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:30 pm 

sparks wrote:
No response there,Arc? It's pretty hard to refute the truth,isn't it,pal?

Why would I care about the rantings of some homophobic fat union @sshole from Hammond?

P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:31 am 

We took some friends to Deb's gun shop yesterday to squeeze off a few rounds and try out my new Kel-Tec PF9. It was standing round only there. There was a line waiting to use the range and the retail business was pretty good also.The quiet confidence of the gun owners who go there is pretty cool. I was pleased with my Kel-Tec but was really impressed with my friend's semi-automatic Ruger. What a slick gun. That is one that may be added to my x-mas list!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:50 am 

I love my Walther P99 .40 and for plinking my Walther P22. And want a Walther PPS for carry.

Have an EAA Witness 9mm sitting in the safe and a Mossberg 500 in the closet.

In the past I have had a Sig 229, a Kahr K9, and a HK USP.

We took a tour of the Swiss Arms factory in Schaffhausen, which was a very cool place. One of the owners of the company I used to work for was on their board of directors. Also cool was the tour we took of watch company IWC in Schaffhausen, but I guess thats a different topic.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:48 am 

mattlap wrote:
I love my Walther P99 .40 and for plinking my Walther P22. And want a Walther PPS for carry.

We took a tour of the Swiss Arms factory in Schaffhausen, which was a very cool place. One of the owners of the company I used to work for was on their board of directors. Also cool was the tour we took of watch company IWC in Schaffhausen, but I guess thats a different topic.

Walthers are made by Smith and Wesson. They have a factory in Springfield,MA that we would like to tour the next time we go to the east coast. Do you practice on a regular basis? We try to go once a week. I'd like to get to the point where I can consistently hit 3" groupings at 25 feet.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:34 am 

sparks wrote:
mattlap wrote:

Walthers are made by Smith and Wesson. They have a factory in Springfield,MA that we would like to tour the next time we go to the east coast. Do you practice on a regular basis? We try to go once a week. I'd like to get to the point where I can consistently hit 3" groupings at 25 feet.

Thats only half true. The receiver is made by Walther in Germany. The Slide and barrel are Smith and Wesson. Same as the SW99, but the receivers and trigger mechanisms are different. Actually the P99 predates the SW99.

I used to shoot on a much more regular basis. I hand loaded my own ammo so I could save money and shoot often. I haven't had time the last year and a half to shoot real regularly. Only get to punch paper every other month or so right now.

"None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free." Johann Wolfgang von Goethe