Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: "V" = Obama's facisim? I'm gonna tune in.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:48 pm 

ABC Executives Sound Coy About New TV Series's Political Edge

By Lisa de Moraes
Monday, August 10, 2009

PASADENA, Calif., Aug. 9

Almost as if Lou Dobbs had taken over the network, ABC plans to debut a series in the fall about aliens who come to Earth promising "hope," "change" and universal health care, but who actually want to infiltrate our government and our businesses and, to that end, have rallied the country's youth behind their nefarious campaign.

Morena Baccarin plays the good-looking, seductively charismatic leader of the so-called Visitors, one remarkably knowledgeable about human culture and media manipulation.

The series is called "V" and it's a re-envisioning of an old miniseries of same name.

Baccarin acknowledged she had modeled her alien character after politicians, saying: "I am trying my best [in the role] to be as trustworthy as I can be and to embody what everybody of every nationality and need wants to see. At the same time, you have your own agenda."

Oh, and "V" is debuting on Nov. 3 -- the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November, a.k.a. the one-year anniversary of Barack Obama being elected the 44th president of the United States, which will be front and center on all the cable news networks, the broadcast TV networks' newscasts, the front pages of newspapers, magazine covers and pretty much otherwise on everybody's mind.

This was not lost on some of the TV critics attending Summer TV Press Tour 2009, especially those who knew the original "V" was seen as a political allegory. In that case, it was widely perceived as a thinly veiled portrait of fascism.

"Some of the words in the pilot associated with the Visitors' agenda are 'hope' and 'change' and 'universal health care,' " one critic noted. "So, was that intentional, or are you just freakishly prescient?"

"Freakishly prescient," replied executive producer Scott Peters, though not blithely -- not with any real zippiness. Many in the room did not seem to buy it, except maybe "V" heroine Elizabeth Mitchell, who responded, "Wow!" as if it was the first she was hearing about this.

β€œAt the core of liberalism is the spoiled child β€” miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

Post subject: Re: "V" = Obama's facisim? I'm gonna tune in.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:41 am 

-={ARCLIGHT}=- wrote:
ABC Executives Sound Coy About New TV Series's Political Edge

By Lisa de Moraes
Monday, August 10, 2009

PASADENA, Calif., Aug. 9

Almost as if Lou Dobbs had taken over the network, ABC plans to debut a series in the fall about aliens who come to Earth promising "hope," "change" and universal health care, but who actually want to infiltrate our government and our businesses and, to that end, have rallied the country's youth behind their nefarious campaign.

Morena Baccarin plays the good-looking, seductively charismatic leader of the so-called Visitors, one remarkably knowledgeable about human culture and media manipulation.

The series is called "V" and it's a re-envisioning of an old miniseries of same name.

The original mini-series and its sequel even featured posters with quaint little slogans to aid the "visitors" in their campaign.

Of course, we all know now what was hiding beneath their false skin...

Thank goodness for resistance fighters Mike Donovan, Ham Tyler, and Chris Farber.

ImageImageImage

Yeah, I loved that show, what 10 year old wouldn't?