Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Obama Wins Iowa!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:05 pm 

There can't be a whiter state in the Union, yet Barack Obama won the Iowa caucus tonight among the Dems. I think he would make a good, thoughtful president so I'm glad. He seems smart at least. Hillary's good for me too.
Huckabee won on the Republican side.
:D
Do you think Barack Obama will be elected president?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:26 pm 
Banned

Still doubtful: remember it was mainly a three way vote. Obama received 37%, however, both Edwards and Hilary recived an average 26%, double this, and see how much Obama didn't get. Nationaly, I don't think he will make it; a VERY bad choice, him or Hillary. If either H or O gets the nomination, I believe we will have another GOP'er for prez...again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:09 pm 

expresso66 wrote:
Still doubtful: remember it was mainly a three way vote. Obama received 37%, however, both Edwards and Hilary recived an average 26%, double this, and see how much Obama didn't get. Nationaly, I don't think he will make it; a VERY bad choice, him or Hillary. If either H or O gets the nomination, I believe we will have another GOP'er for prez...again!

I think you are dead wrong. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:57 am 

Looks like Obama & Huckabee its a new day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:03 am 
Banned

No, it's not; they're just lucky. There's still 49 states to go. Settle down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:44 pm 

When did Indiana ever have a caucus?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:29 pm 

You're right Geronimo. It IS a new day. I'm very pleased we will have quality people to pick from in the presidential election. Obama's people did a GREAT job in Iowa, and I am very proud of Iowans for picking him. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:58 am 

Be careful what you wish for:

The Sun-Times wrote:
Obama's liberal church under the microscope
RELIGION | Presidential candidate to speak at group's convention

June 21, 2007
BY SUSAN HOGAN/ALBACH Religion Reporter/shogan@suntimes.com

Presidential hopeful Barack Obama belongs to the United Church of Christ, one of the country's most racially diverse and liberal Protestant denominations -- the first to ordain an openly gay minister and to call for equal marriage rights for all people, regardless of gender.

The UCC prides itself as being "out front" on social justice issues, battling civil rights, women's rights and gay rights ahead of the mainstream. One Sunday hymnal equally celebrates male and female images of God.

And earlier this month, the UCC took a stance on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that the Anti-Defamation League rebuked as "unfair and one-sided."

"Whether the issue is war, health care, poverty, abuse against women and children, the church is right there and sometimes that makes us a target," said the Rev. Edward Smith Davis, 53, of UCC's God Can Ministries in south suburban Ford Heights.

UCC officials said Obama's invitation isn't a political endorsement. They're expecting the highest turnout ever for a convention-- an estimated 11,000 people -- but they say that's because the denomination is celebrating its 50th anniversary.

"We are definitely proud the senator is a member," said the Rev. Jane Fisler Hoffman, head of the UCC's Illinois Conference. "It will be important for church folks to hear a politician speak about his faith and how that informs his work in politics."

Conservatives: Church is racist
The UCC was formed in 1957 by a merger of churches from Congregational, Christian, Evangelical and Reformed traditions. The denomination traces its roots to Christians who ordained the first African-American minister (1785) and the first woman minister (1853).

It's also home to the Cathedral of Hope in Dallas, the world's largest gay and lesbian church.

Obama and his wife, Michelle, are members of Trinity United Church of Christ, a South Side church led by the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., who teaches members about their African heritage and preaches a theology of black liberation.

Conservative pundits say the church espouses white racism. But Obama and Wright say black empowerment doesn't mean white inferiority.

"For Trinity, being unashamedly black does not mean being anti-white," church historian Martin Marty said in a recent writing.

Because Wright is officiating at a wedding Saturday, he won't be on hand in Hartford to hear Obama. But at a recent church conference in Virginia, Obama singled Wright out in the audience for introducing him ''to someone incredible, Jesus Christ.''

Last edited by BigWhiteGuy on Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:09 am 

Doesn't sound too Christian to me. . . .

Trinity United Church of Christ website wrote:
Trinity United Church of Christ

About Us

We are a congregation which is Unashamedly Black and Unapologetically Christian… Our roots in the Black religious experience and tradition are deep, lasting and permanent. We are an African people, and remain "true to our native land," the mother continent, the cradle of civilization. God has superintended our pilgrimage through the days of slavery, the days of segregation, and the long night of racism. It is God who gives us the strength and courage to continuously address injustice as a people, and as a congregation. We constantly affirm our trust in God through cultural expression of a Black worship service and ministries which address the Black Community.

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee chaired by Vallmer Jordan in 1981. We believe in the following 12 precepts and covenantal statements. These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They must reflect on the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God
2. Commitment to the Black Community
3. Commitment to the Black Family

4. Dedication to the Pursuit of Education
5. Dedication to the Pursuit of Excellence
6. Adherence to the Black Work Ethic
7. Commitment to Self-Discipline and Self-Respect
8. Disavowal of the Pursuit of "Middleclassness"
9. Pledge to make the fruits of all developing and acquired skills available to the Black Community
10. Pledge to Allocate Regularly, a Portion of Personal Resources for Strengthening and Supporting Black Institutions
11. Pledge allegiance to all Black leadership who espouse and embrace the Black Value System
12. Personal commitment to embracement of the Black Value System.

The Pastor as well as the membership of Trinity United Church of Christ is committed to a 10-point Vision:

1. A congregation committed to ADORATION.
2. A congregation preaching SALVATION.
3. A congregation actively seeking RECONCILIATION.
4. A congregation with a non-negotiable COMMITMENT TO AFRICA.
5. A congregation committed to BIBLICAL EDUCATION.
6. A congregation committed to CULTURAL EDUCATION.
7. A congregation committed to the HISTORICAL EDUCATION OF AFRICAN PEOPLE IN DIASPORA.
8. A congregation committed to LIBERATION.
9. A congregation committed to RESTORATION.
10. A congregation working towards ECONOMIC PARITY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:55 pm 

He's a black man. I would expect him to support blacks as well as whites and Hispanics.
THe points you made in red sound OK to me. Read what he said again-his support of blacks doesn't mean he is against whites.
You are entitled to your opinion, BWG, but I'll vote for Obama unashamedly if he turns out to be the Dem nominee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:06 pm 
Banned

But he won't be, there's 49 states left to go! People don't really use their minds at all. Now let's see, just how many Iowans voted for him? He got 39%, Edwards received 30%, and Hillary 29%. Which means, 59% of Iowan Dems DID NOT VOTE for him, PLUS the republicans who voted REPUBLCAN! So his 39% gets EVEN smaller!!!!~~~
:lol: I just wish more people would realized these facts. REMEMBER, Prez Clinton LOST IOWA, NEW HAMSHIRE, and another state in a row, before he started to get more popular w/the public.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:08 pm 

freetime wrote:
He's a black man. I would expect him to support blacks as well as whites and Hispanics.
THe points you made in red sound OK to me. Read what he said again-his support of blacks doesn't mean he is against whites.
You are entitled to your opinion, BWG, but I'll vote for Obama unashamedly if he turns out to be the Dem nominee.

Go to the website and read about their. . . Black Value System.

http://www.tucc.org/black_value_system.html

Seems rather racist. . . .
And what would happen if Hillary supported whites and stated such?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:05 pm 

If this is racist, give me more! He's saying what needs to be said about certain things:

THE BLACK VALUE SYSTEM

Trinity United Church of Christ adopted the Black Value System, written by the Manford Byrd Recognition Committee, chaired by the late Vallmer Jordan in 1981.

Dr. Manford Byrd, our brother in Christ, withstood the ravage of being denied his earned ascension to the number one position in the Chicago School System. His dedication to the pursuit of excellence, despite systematic denials, has inspired the congregation of Trinity United Church of Christ. Prayerfully, we have called upon the wisdom of all past generations of suffering Blacks for guidance in fashioning an instrument of Black self-determination, the Black Value System.

Beginning in 1982, an annual Black Value System – Educational Scholarship in the name of Dr. Byrd was instituted. The first recipient of the Dr. Manford Byrd Award, which is given annually to the man or woman who best exemplifies the Black Value System, was our brother, Dr. Manford Byrd.

These Black Ethics must be taught and exemplified in homes, churches, nurseries and schools, wherever Blacks are gathered. They consist of the following concepts:

1. Commitment to God. “The God of our weary years” will give us the strength to give up prayerful passivism and become Black Christian Activists, soldiers for Black freedom and the dignity of all humankind.

2. Commitment to the Black Community. The highest level of achievement for any Black person must be a contribution of strength and continuity of the Black Community.
3. Commitment to the Black Family. The Black family circle must generate strength, stability and love, despite the uncertainty of externals, because these characteristics are required if the developing person is to withstand warping by our racist competitive society

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:07 pm 

Wouldn't want any black family to be stable and loving, would we?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:42 pm 

freetime wrote:
Wouldn't want any black family to be stable and loving, would we?

OK, try this one. . . . .

The group, BOND, (Brotherhood Organization of a New Destiny) came out recently and said:

“This is obviously a racist Black church masquerading as Christian. Members of the church even refer to themselves as an ‘African People.’ Obama has been campaigning, saying he wants to unite the American people—he needs to explain his affiliation with this separatist church… The liberal media is not reporting these stories because they don’t want to tarnish Obama’s reputation, but they’re doing a major disservice to the American public.”