Northwest Indiana Discussion

Northwest Indiana's Leading Discussion Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tonight's the Night!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:03 pm 

5 1/2 hours away from probably what will be the most watched VP speech ever. Could surpass Obama's 38 mil viewers for his speech. ;)

Bye, bye Obama. Sarah's gonna leave you in the dust! :smt003

If you voted for the Dems don't be surprised when things don't turn out quite as you were led to expect. Some might call it pure Marxism. But the problem with Obama economics is there's not enough money in the world to make it work.

Post subject: Re: Tonight's the Night!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:48 pm 

I'll watch her spech too. It would take a LOT for her to persuade me to vote for the McCain ticket, but who knows?
I think it is awful that her family is getting dragged into this. I can't believe someone actually suggested that the Downs Syndrome baby Sarah had a few months ago was really her 17-year old daughter's. They're even trotting the daughter's real baby daddy out before the crowd tonight.
Sarah seems like a pretty formidable person, and she hunts and fishes too!
I WISH she was a Dem!
We'll see how she does tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:57 pm 
Banned

freetime wrote:
I'll watch her spech too. It would take a LOT for her to persuade me to vote for the McCain ticket, but who knows?
I think it is awful that her family is getting dragged into this. I can't believe someone actually suggested that the Downs Syndrome baby Sarah had a few months ago was really her 17-year old daughter's. They're even trotting the daughter's real baby daddy out before the crowd tonight.
Sarah seems like a pretty formidable person, and she hunts and fishes too!
I WISH she was a Dem!
We'll see how she does tonight.

Have you even looked into her extreme kook right wing views?

S&P 500 - 1,342.90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:26 pm 

I was very unimpressed with her speech.
I dread the thought of another unecessary war like Viet Nam or Iraq. It seems that is the main rallying point for the R's this election. It scares me that so many in that hall seemed so gung ho on the idea of war.
Haven't we learned anything?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:33 pm 
Banned

freetime wrote:
I was very unimpressed with her speech.

I thought I was watching someone running for student council. She reminded me of the character 'Lisa Loopner" on SNL

S&P 500 - 1,342.90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:36 pm 

As a life long Dem I have to say that this woman gave an excellent speech. She had a great writer and she delivered the speech very well. Too bad she isn't at the top of the ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:32 pm 

I think Palin did an excellent job and made a lot of good points.

Maybe she doesn't have the oratory skills of Obama.

But personally, I look for more than a pretty face, large entourage and 'presidential' voice in a presidential candidate.

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:49 pm 

Sarah Palin:

"The American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of 'personal discovery.' This world of threats and dangers is not just a community, and it doesn't just need an organizer," Palin said, a clear reference to Obama's time as a community organizer in Chicago.
And to the media that had closely examined her record, she said: "Here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."
"When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too," she said.
Before becoming governor, Palin served as mayor of Wasilla, she recounted, adding: "And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."
In another barb directed at the Illinois Democrat, Palin said: "Here's how I look at the choice Americans face in this election. In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

(Edited to add:)

As the crowd cheered its approval, Ms. Palin went on: “I might add that in small towns we don’t quite know what to make of a candidate who lavishes praise on working people when they are listening, and then talks about how bitterly they cling to their religion and guns when those people aren’t listening.”

Ms. Palin also displayed humor in one of her biggest lines of the night when she said that “the difference between a hockey mom and a pit bull” was “lipstick.”

Also, a cool line from Giuliani’s speech (paraphrased): … change is not a destination, hope is not a strategy.

I just noticed that you beat me to it with the Giuliani quote, Amy Wigs. Great line, wasn't it?

Barack Obama

Last edited by happy jack on Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:00 pm 

happy jack wrote:
Sarah Palin:

"The American presidency is not supposed to be a journey of 'personal discovery.' This world of threats and dangers is not just a community, and it doesn't just need an organizer," Palin said, a clear reference to Obama's time as a community organizer in Chicago.
And to the media that had closely examined her record, she said: "Here's a little news flash for all those reporters and commentators: I'm not going to Washington to seek their good opinion. I'm going to Washington to serve the people of this country."
"When I ran for city council, I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too," she said.
Before becoming governor, Palin served as mayor of Wasilla, she recounted, adding: "And since our opponents in this presidential election seem to look down on that experience, let me explain to them what the job involves. I guess a small-town mayor is sort of like a 'community organizer,' except that you have actual responsibilities."
In another barb directed at the Illinois Democrat, Palin said: "Here's how I look at the choice Americans face in this election. In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change."

Also, a cool line from Giuliani’s speech (paraphrased): … change is not a destination, hope is not a strategy.

I just noticed that you beat me to it with the Giuliani quote, Amy Wigs. Great line, wasn't it?

Yes. He was really able to articulate what I've been feeling but haven't been able to put into the right words.

You put up some of my favorite things from her speech. Thanks.

There are things I really liked that she said. I'll have to put them up in the morning. :)

Amy, why don't you stick to things that you do well like having kids rather than things you are neither capable nor motivated to even do poorly such as think and act like a mature adult - George T Janiec (I know,I'm childish)

What about the kids, George?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 pm 

Amy Wigs wrote:
Yes. He was really able to articulate what I've been feeling but haven't been able to put into the right words.

That one line captures the essence of Obama's emptiness better than anything else I've heard.

Barack Obama

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:50 pm 

Did anyone else laugh at the way Sarah's little girl, Piper, was grooming her baby brother like a monkey? She spit on her hand a million times and smoothed the baby's hair. She picked at the kid over and over.
She's not much more than a baby herself, and very cute. It just struck me as so funny.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:28 pm 

freetime wrote:
Did anyone else laugh at the way Sarah's little girl, Piper, was grooming her baby brother like a monkey?

Racist!

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child — miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.”
P.J. O'Rourke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:01 pm 
Banned

freetime wrote:
Did anyone else laugh at the way Sarah's little girl, Piper, was grooming her baby brother like a monkey? She spit on her hand a million times and smoothed the baby's hair. She picked at the kid over and over.
She's not much more than a baby herself, and very cute. It just struck me as so funny.

Please don't make fun of a GOP campaign prop.

S&P 500 - 1,342.90

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:51 pm 

I saw the spit pomade, I was grossed out. YUCK